Exit Planet Dust

Concerts you've been to

Started by Ben_j, Jul 18, 2015, 00:45

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: androidgeoff on Nov 14, 2015, 19:39

Went to a Matthew Dear DJ gig last night. It was a pretty small crowd and he definitely acknowledged you if you were really enjoying the music. He played some song that went, "take it again. do it again" and I was like, "DO IT AGAIN!" as if it were Do It Again. He smirked at that as he did an insane Do It Again remix as Audion. He spun for 2 or 3 hours and just kept a powerful, steady beat the whole time. He is very technical as well, so there were only 1 or 2 audible mistakes. Now he needs to release a new album and do a live tour.

Ive been digging on Matthew Dear these past few months. He's sexy as hell.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Tame Impala last night (with fellow forumites ChemicalMat, Bouh and Flyghost). It was short but good. It lacked some older tunes that I would have loved to hear (Alter Ego, Endors Toi, Sundown Syndrome, Half full glass of wine...), but they priviledged tracks from the new album it seems.

Last Edit: Feb 01, 2016, 17:04 by Ben_j

Quote from: whirlygirl on Nov 21, 2015, 16:45

Haha. His hairline is insane!

Also, happy belated birthday!
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is Rynostar?

looking pretty great so far

I've been to Animal Collective in Hamburg on the 4th of April 2016! It was insane! Geologist signed my Merriweather vinyl copy after the show! ;D

Here are some videos I uploaded:

So let your body rock...

Quote from: whirlygirl on Nov 21, 2015, 16:45

I done seen him again on the 4th of Feb

Been to another show of Biosphere at the Prague's Planetarium. Biosphere is one of the legends of ambient music. If anyone is in this kind of sound, I recommend his albums "Substrata" or "Shenzhou". His music together with the video mapping visualisation made specially for this gig, was so trippy experience.

Recording of hist first show at the planetarium two years ago:

Also seen these guys last week, Weval (just with live drummer):

And these guys:

Quote from: Ben_j on Feb 01, 2016, 16:57

Tame Impala last night (with fellow forumites ChemicalMat, Bouh and Flyghost). It was short but good. It lacked some older tunes that I would have loved to hear (Alter Ego, Endors Toi, Sundown Syndrome, Half full glass of wine...), but they priviledged tracks from the new album it seems.

Tame Impala is tits live.

I don't get out as much as I should but a few months back I saw a nostalgia mini fest with Garbage, The Cult, and the closer Jane's Addiction. Well, a couple of Jane's Addiction songs in and we bailed it was so bad). But hey it was one of the last shows ever at a local, now-demolished ampitheater. And tickets were super cheap on Groupon, so why the heck not?  Then last month we saw Jello Biafra. Punk in my conservative county is still alive and well, haha! Nazi punks can fuck right off. His show was a ton of fun with a mosh pit on the floor and everything. The whole gig kicked ass!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Two weeks ago I set up this concert in a classroom with my radio station - we're doing a series of pop-up gigs around campus with local bands (because there's nowhere for anyone small to play in this town besides bars). Stud Fox, a noisy psychedelic band, and City Mist, an indie rock group I'm producing an album with right now played. I ran sound with a buddy of mine but most importantly, my wife used the classrooms old overhead projector and did a liquid light show for the performances, on the spot! Some pics and a video...

Chemistry building even, so you know what shirt I wore.

Looking forward to doing more of these!
Last Edit: Feb 23, 2017, 18:09 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

I'm sorry if I'm derailing this thread ,  but I'm going to continue posting about upcoming shows and or festivals. Let me know if you want me to open a new thread.

That being said...

I think I'm pulling the plug on this year's Coachella. In exchange, I plan to hit a ton of shows that we'll be playing locally. The amount of artists I'm interested in seeing is truly ridiculous. My problem is I can't afford to go to all of them, but would appreciate any anecdotes or suggestions on what help me choose which ones to aim for.

Here is a list I made of gigs that have been announced for Chicago (so far) in the upcoming months:

* (scaled from 1-5 stars) = Interest level
! = Seen before
$ = Expensive
# = Going already
& = Comedian

MARCH

Devendra Banhart 3/6 - *
Trentemoller 3/19 - ! **
Sonics 3/23 - **
Regina Spektor 3/24 - *
Richard Ashcroft 3/30 - *

APRIL

The Psychedelic Furs / Robyn Hitchcock 4/8 - ***
King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard 4/8 (sold out) - $ ****
Tinariwen 4/11 - **
Zombies 4/13, 4/14 - ***
Norm Macdonald 4/15 - & *****
Flaming Lips 4/17 - ! **
Of Montreal 4/22 - ! *
Billy Bob Thornton and The Boxmasters 4/23 - *
The Revolution 4/23, 4/24 - *
Bellrays 4/28 -  **

MAY

Bill Maher 5/6 - $ & ****
The Jesus and Mary Chain 5/10 - ! *****
Mastodon / Eagles of Death MetaL / Russian Circles 5/13 - **
Ty Segal 5/13, 5/14 - *****
Father John Misty 5/15 - $ ***
Mac Demarco 5/16 (sold out) - $ ****
Bonobo 5/18 - **
Norah Jones 5/21 - **
Jean-Michel Jarre 5/22 - $ *****
Ricky Gervais 5/24, 5/25 - $ & **
Michael Kiwanuka 5/27 - *
Movement DEMF (http://movement.us/artists) 5/27-29 - $ **

JUNE

U2 6/3, 6/4 - $ *
Sigur Ros 6/3 - ! **
Future Islands 6/6 - *****
Elvis Costello and the Imposters - 6/12 $ ***
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds 6/16 - ! $ *****
Metallica 6/18 - $ **
Red Hot Chili Peppers 6/30 - $ *

JULY

Red Hot Chili Peppers - 7/1 $ *
Dweezil Zappa 7/7 - *
Pitchfork LCD Soundsystem/ A Tribe Called Quest / Solange 7/14-16  - ! $ # *****
Roger Waters 7/22 - ! $ ****
Blondie/Garbage 7/22 - $ ***

AUGUST

Rod Stewart / Cyndi Lauper 8/5 - $ *
Billy Joel 8/11 - $ *
Depeche Mode 8/30 - $ ***

SEPTEMBER

Riot Fest (lineup not yet released) 9/15-17 - $ ****
Sturgill Simpson 9/22 - $ *

OCTOBER

The Descendents 10/7 - ! *
Pixies 10/8 - ! $ # *****
Jim Gaffigan 10/13 - $ & **

Last Edit: Mar 01, 2017, 22:27 by Bosco

Also want to mention I might make a special trip to the west coast just to hit up one of the Hans Zimmer performances this April. He's yet to announce anything for the East Coast or Midwest. Could be saving dates for the fall/winter, or just no plans to visit at all.

Saw Dutch Uncles last night at a venue I've never been to in Southampton (35 minutes drive away, free parking on the streets nearby - perfect!)

They were fantastic. Mathy. Angular. Riffy. But incredibly tight the whole time.
Super charming too. Duncan, when he wasn't throwing awkward shapes around the stage, would regale the crowd with stories of their tour so far (smashing his hand through glass, being asked to join an orgy, not being able to check in to a Travelodge and having to stay at a 4* hotel) and how normally they had a no-Sunday-shows policy but that we had proved that rule unnecessary.

Summary: Lots of fun.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

got tickets for jamiroquai in düsseldorf in november
no idea, no idea

Went to see Weval a few days ago. It was great, they had a drummer with them and even had the singer from a few of their song at the end of the show

I'm really pissed I did not buy King Gizzard tickets, since they are now sold out

Just trying to save some money in order to buy them and then bam :(

Few weeks ago I saw three shows in one week here in DC.

A Tribe Called Red

Late show on a Wednesday. So much energy behind these guys.

Dungen

Friday Early show. Also saw them last year here.

Jose James

Saturday Early show. This man has an amazing voice live.

Planning to see Clark & Com Truise in a few weeks.

That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Was  in  sonic  heaven  last  night  , . .  saw  Orbital  headline  at  the  Bluedot Festival  ,  Jodrell Bank  ,  UK  , . .  absolutely  freakin  amazing  , . . a devastating  sound  system  provided  by  the  Bluedot  audio-tech  engineers  on  the  main  stage  made  for  the  best  live  show  I've  ever  heard  ,  (and seen)  , Orbital's  visuals  were  spectacular  too.  After  the  final  song  had  finished  (an awesome  version  of  Where is it Going)  and  amidst  the  euphoric  appreciation  , cheering  and  clapping  . .  Phil Hartnoll  ended  by  saying  " thank you  so  much  for  coming  ,  we'll  be  back  sooner  than  you  think " , . . .

So , that  to  me  sounds  like  new  album time  and  more  shows  later  this  year  or next  ,  ooh  yeahh  !!!!!
" Everybody  jumpin out of their mind  "

Quote from: Bosco on May 23, 2017, 20:38

fantastique!

Seen yesterday. That was the only good moment of the show (ok maybe Oxygene 2 too (two too two too)). I'll write more later.
Btw that part at 0:51 from this video. Chemical Robots from 2007/2008 tour anyone?
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!