Turn Off Your Mind, Relax, and Float Downstream

Concerts you've been to

Started by Ben_j, Jul 18, 2015, 00:45

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Bosco on Jun 05, 2018, 03:49

Wow, if you have some expendable cash, go see David Byrne on his current tour.

Probably the most quirky choreographed show I've been a part of. A lovely geeky dance party!

LEGEND!
I saw him in 2009 when he had a similar quirky choreographed show - three dancers interacting with him the entire show. Leapfrogging... Dancing on office chairs... It's on the Ride Rise Roar film - a good watch.

Saw Depeche Mode june 1st

maybe devo could do a tour now
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: androidgeoff on Jun 08, 2018, 18:23

A couple of live members (Josh Hager, Jeff Freidl) of the current/recent version of Devo have teamed up with a couple of newer members of New Order to form Shadowparty. They've just played a handful of low key gigs in the UK. The album is out in July, probably with more gigs to come. So you might have to wait til after they've done that.

A tweet from Denise "Sceamadelica" Johnson here. She does backing vox on six tracks on the album. Loads of other guests on the album from members of The Verve to Steve Perry of Journey (!).
https://twitter.com/TheDJohnsonR3AL/status/997350675196600320

A Devo tweet:
https://twitter.com/DEVO/status/991676044901081089

One track released so far:

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Saw Echo & The Bunnymen and The Psychedelic Furs last weekend.  Both were fucking fantastic!

Also, saw The Flaming Lips for the 9th time. 

Seeing She Wants Revenge tonight to continue the conquest of seeing Chems related artists (in this case Justin Warfield)

it's been over a month since, but here is a quick riot fest review:

definitely a down year overall, music was far more "relaxing" than energetic

friday:
speedy ortiz was great, liz phair killed it, aquabats were fun, digable planets -> atmosphere -> cypress hill was a great hip hop friday fun timez

saturday:
they put everything in a 2 hour time frame and i missed a lot because of terrible scheduling...
GARY NUMAN - got to see him perform Cars twice in a day, his set was my favorite of the day,
first casualty (did not get to see reignwolf)
cat power and wolfmother were fantastic
the voidz started like at least 10 mins late so missed them because elvis costello was playing as well
jerry lee lewis was there, had to miss out on jesus lizard
interpol was great as expected
BECK! Too bad he played 4 new songs, none of which were Dear Life or Colors, Up all night, wow, and im so free were just so bad. he cant even rap the im so free stuff, fucking Taylor Swift got in his ear and to me she is the equivalent of the wrath of khan ear worms. "SWWIIIIIIIIFT!!" - James T. Kirk

BUT - Gary Numan came out during Beck's set and they performed Cars. Was not expecting this at all, great surprise. Message to Beck: please drop Colors stuff in next tour. I got a lot of people who have never seen you to commit to seeing your set. The new stuff really turned them off, it was not the festival to drop a "say WOOOOOW like owen wilson" joke. Odelay was what people wanted. I know you are probably sick of that album, but it's riot fest yo

sunday:
calpurnia - hey if you are famous in any other facet of life, congratulations, you, too, can start a generic band!!! I'm still waiting for snooki, conan o'brien, and pauly shore supergroup, "Pauly's Jersey and the Sures" suffice to say a sad moment for music

checked out a little of kevin devine, definitely emotional music, I'd like to see him at an indoor venue now
JD Mcpherson! dynamite performance
caught tail end of Fear, a little of spitalfield, and then the avengers. just a "walk around in hot sun" half hour for me
Johnny Marr killed it. Saw a little bit of bouncing souls, then went to suicidal tendencies because when a band goes "this song is for all the moms in the world" followed by the lyrics "i saw your mommy and your mom is dead" you know you have made a good choice.

father john misty was a great "chill out before run the jewels" group. I wanted to be at his stage, but wanted to actually riot at riot fest, at run the jewels. They had great to-the-point PSAs

Overall, one of the less exciting Riot Fests I have attended, but it was a cursed year, they pulled a rabbit out of their blood-clot-filled passport

edit: totally forgot to mention blondie. hell yeah, blondie

blondie, hell yeah
Last Edit: Nov 06, 2018, 19:36 by androidgeoff

I saw Spiritualized last week. I've seen them before but it has been several years since the last time I saw J Spaceman do his thing. The show was utterly beautiful - from the venue, to the 10 piece choir, to the string section, to the horn section... Amazing, amazing, amazing. I dare say I teared up more than a couple of times throughout. ;)  It was exactly what I needed at that moment.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Jealous of you guys!

The new Spiritualized album is wonderful. I wish Jason and the band could make it out to Chicago...

Haven't been able to get out to as many concerts this year like I've wanted to.

Went to see Slayer's last ever gig in Ireland last night. Obituary opened the show, they were OK. Anthrax were next, they were brilliant, never seen them live before. Lamb of God were main support but I really wasn't into them.
Slayer came out and played an hour and 40 mins of sheer intensity. Great energy from the legends, Tom Araya took his time to walk the stage from end to end after the finished just soaking it all in. Been a minute since I was at a metal concert, forgot about the sweat, the unique mix of bodies and booze that hits your nose and engulfs your clothes. Knees and neck a bit worse for wear today, gonna have to work out in the gym a bit more before Metallica next summer. (Totally not getting old)
Last Edit: Nov 02, 2018, 20:08 by Charco

You know you're getting old when only names you can recognize from festival lineup are Beck and Jesus Lizard  :o
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Saw The Orb at Metro and Ben UFO & Courtesy at SmartBar on Saturday.  I partied.  I danced.  I hurt.  Seriously, how the hell did I go out dancing late as shit multiple nights every week in my twenties and thirties?  Fuhhhhhhhhh.

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Nov 12, 2018, 18:17

Saw The Orb at Metro and Ben UFO & Courtesy at SmartBar on Saturday.  I partied.  I danced.  I hurt.  Seriously, how the hell did I go out dancing late as shit multiple nights every week in my twenties and thirties?  Fuhhhhhhhhh.

aaaaaa I wanted to go to this but I had bought Ross From Friends tickets before I found out about this show

The day before flying out from Chicago to Mexico, got to finally see a certain Matthew Dear perform live (every time I have seen him prior, he was DJing). He did not stick around much after his set, as he had a gig in New York the next day. I got to say "hey, you were great!" and get a quick handshake. He is super personable on stage. If you have not checked out Bunny, you betta. It is, overall, probably his best album since Asa Breed (and this includes Audion's Alpha, which is a great album too!). Can You Rush Them is A++. One of my top 10 songs of the year. He apparently recently got an Octatrack (looks like MKII) and he completely revamped the song DESERTER WOOOAAWW

last concert I saw before I left Chicago was Aimee Mann

Then first concert I saw here in Atlanta was MDC ( Million of Dead Cops ) Punk band from long long ago

"The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there."

Quote from: androidgeoff on Jun 08, 2018, 18:23

Saw Depeche Mode june 1st

I was there as well  :music ;D
"The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there."

I'm so sad guys... I traveled to Chile to see New Order for the first time. It was cancelled. The equipment didn't arrive from Mexico. I hope to see them one day  :( :(

Quote from: nekoland on Nov 22, 2018, 21:52

I'm so sad guys... I traveled to Chile to see New Order for the first time. It was cancelled. The equipment didn't arrive from Mexico. I hope to see them one day  :( :(

Oh no, I saw that on twitter. I saw them in London (Ally Pally) just before they started their South American tour and they were on great form. They're definitely re-arranging the gig though. Gillian said so:
https://twitter.com/gillian_gilbert/status/1065615873124302849

So try to go the rearranged gig if you can, dude.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Nov 23, 2018, 00:03

Oh no, I saw that on twitter. I saw them in London (Ally Pally) just before they started their South American tour and they were on great form. They're definitely re-arranging the gig though. Gillian said so:
https://twitter.com/gillian_gilbert/status/1065615873124302849

So try to go the rearranged gig if you can, dude.

Thanks!! I didn't saw that. Hope that they can rescheduled soon

Quote from: nekoland on Nov 22, 2018, 21:52

Oh wow... that is such a shame. I hope you are able to attend their rescheduled one (when they announce it)

Went to Berlin three weeks ago to see two artists. One being Aphex Twin who played a great eclectic set covering all kind of music styles (of electronic music) from ambient, over breakbeats, techno, to noise with Bicep's Orca track being my highlight of the night. I don't really dig the studio version of the track, but it sounds so awesome when played live.

The other artist were Khruangbin and these guys were just amazing. Great guitar player, spot-on drummer and one sexy bassist:

Quote from: Earthbound on Nov 23, 2018, 18:03

Went to Berlin three weeks ago to see two artists. One being Aphex Twin who played a great eclectic set covering all kind of music styles (of electronic music) from ambient, over breakbeats, techno, to noise with Bicep's Orca track being my highlight of the night. I don't really dig the studio version of the track, but it sounds so awesome when played live.

The other artist were Khruangbin and these guys were just amazing. Great guitar player, spot-on drummer and one sexy bassist:

I might see Khruangbin Wednesday* (my days are all messed up right now)... doing a DJ set

Wish I could see them live instead haha (TURNS OUT I CAN AS THEY PLAY THAT SAME DAY TOOOOOO)
Last Edit: Nov 24, 2018, 04:20 by androidgeoff