'Til We Meet Again, Oh My Love

Don't Think (The live album CD+DVD or Blu Ray)

Started by Bosco, Sep 07, 2019, 09:31

Previous topic - Next topic
I own the CD/DVD combo, and thought I would eventually get the Blu Ray, but it's turning out harder to find then I had planned. Is it region free? Which version came with the booklet? My mind is kinda fuzzy around this release.

Same for me! Once I had acknowledged the superior quality of Bluray years after purchasing the DVD (because of a Star Trek remaster project for TNG) I started searching for BR sources for Don't Thnk, only to find out that all were out of stock.

And yes, the BR disc is region free. As far as I remember, the bluray always was kind of a vanilla release without any fancy stuff which spurred some kind of controversy at the time (people thought about getting both items and swap discs - looking at you, Pumisher).

Regarding the releases, there was a limited edition for the DVD in a mediabook type of style (the one you have) that contained a booklet. And there was 10" square shaped real book combo that was essentially the booklet on steroids. And while we're at it: Can anyone who does have the 10" book tell me whether it is worth getting?
Last Edit: Sep 07, 2019, 14:17 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

There are currently four "Mint" or "Near Mint" copies on Discogs. Although only one of them is a reasonable price. Maybe we could have a Csar Vs Bosco duel to get that copy.

I believe a Blue Ray rip may have also leaked on t'internet
Spoiler
like this: The Chemical Brothers.Dont Think Live.2012.BRRip.XviD.AbSurdiTy.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 07, 2019, 10:23

Maybe we could have a Csar Vs Bosco duel to get that copy.

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

^lol

Thanks for the info guys! (and heads up on the file name Wolkenkrabber)

Now that I know it isn't region locked, it's not so hard to track down.

Before I dug out my copy, I kinda assumed my version was distributed by Astralwerks, meaning there was strictly an American version, but apparently not:

Also, I'm really interested in reliving this at full power. It sounded great in the Theatre (where I assume it was in 7.1), but I only have 5.1 at home and my setup is pretty pathetic.

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 07, 2019, 19:11

^lol

Thanks for the info guys! (and heads up on the file name Wolkenkrabber)

Now that I know it isn't region locked, it's not so hard to track down.

Before I dug out my copy, I kinda assumed my version was distributed by Astralwerks, meaning there was strictly an American version, but apparently not:
Oh, so it's not the paperback mediabook after all! I thought the DVD/audio combo was only available in that format. Didn't know there was a regular DVD plastic case version too.
— Aurora (The Seed)

yeah, no paperback. Just a glossy paper insert.

Curious if the booklet is worth tracking down, too...

I promised my mom that we would see it once summer started but I havent been able to get it on amazon (store nor prime)
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 07, 2019, 20:46

yeah, no paperback. Just a glossy paper insert.

Curious if the booklet is worth tracking down, too...
Well, I guess I mispoke when I said "booklet" because the limited ed. mediabook combo is actually a hardcover and does not contain a booklet. Maybe you should get one of those since they're still available at reasonable prices. It consists of 15 pages (2 are foldouts for the Japanese girl protagonist) with nice prints of their visuals/ crowd and a brief introduction text. It's definately a nice looking package.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Alright, since no one answered my question on the 10" book version, I went ahead myself and bought a copy off the bay. At little less than 15 bucks including shipping it was more of a steal. So it arrived today and it's indeed a pretty looking book. Opposed to my assumption above, the prints are almost entirely different from the 16:9 mediabook version. Although those are very beautiful too, I would have loved it if some of the mediabook's photos had been used as well (like the elefant or the crawling bugs). But for 15 bucks there's no complaint at all.

One minor critique I'd have is the plastic clips that are supposed to hold the CD/DVD in place. They simply do not (discs come off as soon as you shake it a tiny bit) and one holder's plastic nose was already broken, presuming due to shipping. Also, those holders, due to sticking out a little, caused dents/imprints on some pages which is a design flaw.

If anyone is still interested in this 10" book, the vendor had still 9 items left, just to let you know (I am in no way associated with this).
Last Edit: Sep 23, 2019, 18:48 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 23, 2019, 18:40

Alright, since no one answered my question on the 10" book version, I went ahead myself and bought a copy off the bay. ... the prints are almost entirely different from the 16:9 mediabook version.

Feel like posting more pics?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

There you go:
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 23, 2019, 18:40

If anyone is still interested in this 10" book, the vendor had still 9 items left, just to let you know (I am in no way associated with this).
What is that book on the right of your attached picture? I only know (and own) the one on the left
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 24, 2019, 12:56

What is that book on the right of your attached picture? I only know (and own) the one on the left
I only know (and own) the one on the right! Well Csar has put comparisons of both versions of the DVD packaging/booklet side by side in his post today. So you have your answer, Pumisher. The one on the right is the same size as a regular DVD box - a "mediabook".  Interesting to look at the 10" book pics compared to the mediabook . Not necessarily better, just different (and bigger).
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Csar on Sep 24, 2019, 11:06

There you go:
what part of Don't Think has the green robots, I remember the Red and silver ones from the Saturate transition, but I don't recall any song in this era having the green robots in them except UTI
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

so in comparison, my copy is the super economy version apparently  ::)

The 10" inch booklet version is interesting. I wonder what the purpose was to make a premium (mostly just bigger, as Wolkenkrabber mentioned) type booklet with limiting it to the DVD+CD. You would think if this was the "creme de la creme" version of 'Don't Think,' it would include the superior Blu-Ray Disc.

Was the future of Blu-Ray still in question 7 years ago? Even then, that's why you adopt the DVD+Blu-Ray combo, which has naturally become standard. Oh well...

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 24, 2019, 19:34

so in comparison, my copy is the super economy version apparently  ::)

The 10" inch booklet version is interesting. I wonder what the purpose was to make a premium (mostly just bigger, as Wolkenkrabber mentioned) type booklet with limiting it to the DVD+CD. You would think if this was the "creme de la creme" version of 'Don't Think,' it would include the superior Blu-Ray Disc.

Was the future of Blu-Ray still in question 7 years ago? Even then, that's why you adopt the DVD+Blu-Ray combo, which has naturally become standard. Oh well...
Well, DVD was and allegedly still is more popular than Bluray in terms of market share. So yes, I assume the rationale was just based on the wider acceptance of DVDs. The ratio of today's available DVDs to Blurays of DT might hint at that too. Another reason for that might be that this type of project wast likley deemed not to be hugely profitable as I presume the market for live concerts of an electronic band (at that time) wasn't large enough to warrant greater expenses beyond what they had done. So we ended up getting just the limited version that all comprised the DVD+CD combo or just the vanilla Bluray version (or in your case the rummage table one with a glossy paper insert).

The 10" book was way more expensive than the regular combo (was it around €40 something? - can't remember) which is the reason I didn't get it at the time. What I was totally oblivious of is that economy version of yours. Could it be an America-only item?
It's too bad, like you said, that there wasn't any premium-bluray combo available which would have made the most sense, considering price and design. Now I've got to hunt it down somehow.. rrrr,

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 24, 2019, 13:30

Interesting to look at the 10" book pics compared to the mediabook . Not necessarily better, just different (and bigger).
True. I kind of like the smaller version better. The bigger one doesn't really use its full potential, imo (why the omitted the projected Japan flag, for instance, is beyond me tbh). But, like I said, it was a steal, so no buyer's remorse whatsoever.
— Aurora (The Seed)