For That Beautiful Feeling

ChemBase Scammers

Started by Csar, Nov 09, 2023, 11:56

Previous topic - Next topic
Hi folks,

I need to make you aware that I just stumbled upon an apparent scam via Bing that is mimicking a part of our forum. The topic is New Chemical Merch! that inchemwetrust started back in 2016.

The look is the one of our current FTBF theme as it redirects to our forum CSS (style sheets) in order to appear up-to-date and legit.
The web address shows this url (do not access without Ad- and Script blocking add-ons!!, replaced dot com for safety):
https://smc-touch dot com /address-can-not-be-empty-chembase#/translation-along-a-vector-worksheet

All links on that site redirect to one of this site's phony urls (the Social icons, buttons, page numbers, everything).

Although it appears to be legit at first glance, they put in a little bit of effort and altered content in some posts and throughout the layout:
Please log in to view this attachment.

So please, if you ever access the Chembase via search machines, please make sure you're on the official one, never log in if you feel the site looks "off" and never click suspicious links (try hovering over links to see where they lead to) !
Last Edit: Nov 09, 2023, 21:43 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Thank you very much for looking out and bringing this to everyone's attention!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

This is so odd, what the hell! Thank you for pointing it out 
Oo-ee, bit wobbly on the old feet!

As it appears as if that website returns a 404 error when accessed via link or when typed in directly in the browser's address bar. It only seems to work if accessed through a search machine.

When I tried researching this site smc-touch dot com, Google etc. would pull a result for the official Miami-Date county property appraiser which apparently is also (randomly?) targeted.

Fake:

Real website
https://www.miamidade.gov/pa/exemptions.asp
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Thanks Pum. This is rather directed at tech support scams, though. I "filed" a scam report with Google on their reporting site, let's see if that yields any results..
— Aurora (The Seed)

... can't get this kind of people
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?