Come With Us

6 Music Celebrates The Chemical Brothers (Surrender 20th anniversary special)

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Oct 29, 2019, 23:15

Previous topic - Next topic
Some killer tunes and great little anecdotes. I wish they talked a bit more about making Surrender, but it was cool to hear more about their formative years leading up to it.

Does anyone have the old 90s radio 1 interviews they played clips from?

late to the party but enjoying the late night repeat!

BEST BIT: The story of Tom passing out on the floor after hearing What time is Love  :))
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: mfc83 on Nov 09, 2019, 05:22

Some killer tunes and great little anecdotes. I wish they talked a bit more about making Surrender, but it was cool to hear more about their formative years leading up to it.

I echo your comments, always nice to hear the chems dig through their record collection and dig out the great, the obscure and something you might have never heard. I too thought it was a bit surrender lite, but I guess we are in for a bit of surrender over load in the next few weeks

As for the interview clips I believe it was from "All Back To Mine - Radio One 1999" which is rich with anecdotes.i love the story of them playing Space in Ibiza. The power to kill the vibe of the club with your first record!

I have a full recording if needed although I'm not down with the best way to share files these day

The Chemical Brothers

The Chemical Brothers first met while at University together in Manchester, England, over ten years ago. They spent their time in Manchester visiting some of the legendary nightclubs, such as the Hacienda. In 1992, they created their first record as The Dust Brothers, a name they eventually had to lose due to the existence of a band with the same name in America.

From that moment, the Chemical Brothers began a rise to fame that saw them remixing the likes of the Manic Street Preachers, The Prodigy and Primal Scream. Their own debut album, 'Exit Planet Dust', was eventually released in 1995, selling over one million copies worldwide.

In late 1996, they reached Number One in the UK charts for the first time with 'Setting Sun', featuring none other than Noel Gallagher from Oasis. The subsequent album, 'Dig Your Own Hole', brought with it another Number One single and international recognition, with 'Block Rockin' Beats' winning a Grammy Award for Best Rock Instrumental.

The most recent Chemical Brothers album is 'Surrender', again featuring top names as guest artists, and helping them to win a Brit Award for Best British Dance Act.

You can hear the unique story of how the Chemical Brothers first met each other, and then began their rise to fame through the club scene.

Talking with the Chemical Brothers

House Music -   The impact of house music on Tom and Ed.
Ibiza       -   Listen to the story of the Chemical Brothers' worst DJing experience.
Heavenly    -   How they got started at the Heavenly Social.
Bernard     -   Hear about the day Bernard Sumner of New Order came to visit.

Songs Chosen

Royal National Theatre -   Luck, Be A Lady (from 'Guys and Dolls')
Unique Three           -   The Theme (Unique Mix)
Love Unlimited         -   Strange Games and Funky Things
The Beatles            -   Tomorrow Never Knows
New Order              -   Leave Me Alone
Byron Lee              -   Jamaica Ska 

plus a few more!

Nice to hear the Anti Nazi mix on the radio again although I was instantly annoyed when Nemone said it was played just before Surrender came out, yer about 2 years before! I suppose we have to ham it up a bit.

But what a special mix this was, when this was broadcast on Radio One it was a seminal moment for me. At this point I was unfamiliar with the Chemical Brothers dj set. I myself in 97 had just learned to dj mix 2 records together. But this mix was so absorbing, a collage of sounds. Where I could not tell where one tune started and the next on began. At the time I did know about the Chems sneaky bootleg edits that make their dj set so awesome.

This mix they played about 5 days before the release of Dig your own hole, was the first place I heard the Private psychedelic reel. I was  blown away of this texture of sounds, even now I can picture myself hearing that song for the first time beaming away to myself. I remember the following Monday lunch time racing down to Our Price (who remembers them!) Where they had listening booths and playing dig your own hole for the first time trying to find this magical tune.

To me the Anti Nazi mix is the most truest representation of the chemical brothers playing to a dance floor, no other dj mix they have done has come close to this.To me this mix is a night in the sorely missed Turnmills. It's a classic.

Last Edit: Nov 09, 2019, 20:25 by sneakerbeater
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Quote from: mfc83 on Nov 09, 2019, 05:22

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Nov 09, 2019, 07:35

As for the interview clips I believe it was from "All Back To Mine - Radio One 1999" which is rich with anecdotes...
I have a full recording if needed although I'm not down with the best way to share files these day

https://twitter.com/murrell101/status/1193101411011244032
Brand new upload.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Any idea of how to send in our suggestions (K+D+B because it's godlike!!!)?
Oh, and do we use our forum name? Or even forum name + ChemBase?
no idea, no idea

I don't think the now playing show is going to be that exciting. I think it is going to be a track list based round the tenuous link of superstar DJ. I don't think it will be that Chems relevant. They have previously done a chemical brothers now play show a few years back.
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Damn, no K+D+B  :'(

Haven't listen to the show, so there's still a chance it is at least mentioned.

Tracklist:

The Chemical Brothers - The Golden Path (feat. The Flaming Lips)
Felix da Housecat - Silver Screen (Shower Scene)
UNKLE - Burn My Shadow (feat. Ian Astbury)
The Chemical Brothers & St. Vincent - Under Neon Lights
DJ Shadow - Scale It Back (feat. Little Dragon)
New Order - Singularity
Björk - Where Is The Line?
The Knife - Silent Shout
The Chemical Brothers - Life Is Sweet
LTJ Bukem - Horizons
David Holmes - I Heard Wonders
The Chemical Brothers - Block Rockin' Beats
Erol Alkan & Boys Noize - Lemonade
Paul Epworth - Voyager
The Chemical Brothers & Beth Orton - Alive Alone
A Tribe Called Quest - Buggin' Out
Simian Mobile Disco - I Believe
The Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar
La Roux - In For The Kill (Skream's Let's Get Ravey Remix)
Howie B & Robbie Robertson - Take Your Partner By The Hand
Gil Scott‐Heron & Jamie XX - I'll Take Care Of U
The Chemical Brothers - Wide Open (feat. Beck)
The Chemical Brothers - Asleep From Day (feat. Hope Sandoval)

Interesting: some tracks are "Chems &", some tracks are "Chems (feat.)" and some tracks [Life Is Sweet] didn't even mention the guest vocalist
no idea, no idea

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Nov 09, 2019, 07:04

late to the party but enjoying the late night repeat!

BEST BIT: The story of Tom passing out on the floor after hearing What time is Love  :))

Haha - amazing when Music touches the soul like that. I was laughing but shared Lauren's sympathetic view point too. Poor Tom! 😄
"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

Anyone's got the radio shows in mp3, please? Thanks 🦄
You are all my children now!

Not sure how frowned upon this is, but is there anyway to download these streams as files?

Quote from: Shotglass75 on Nov 14, 2019, 02:25

Not sure how frowned upon this is, but is there anyway to download these streams as files?
not on a legal way i think
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Nov 14, 2019, 10:10

not on a legal way i think

The early raves that The Chems played in the 90's weren't "legal" so I'm sure they are cool with it  :))

Ok, so i found out that JDownloader (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JDownloader) has the ability to download the original streams - and funnily they aren't classical audio-streams but mp4-video-streams. JDownloader also gives you the freedom of extracting the audio for download

edit: pm me for files
Last Edit: Nov 18, 2019, 16:31 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Nov 18, 2019, 15:11

Ok, so i found out that JDownloader (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JDownloader) has the ability to download the original streams - and funnily they aren't classical audio-streams but mp4-video-streams. JDownloader also gives you the freedom of extracting the audio for download

edit: pm me for files

Awesome!  Thank you!  PM sent