Did You Know That We Can Go to Japan?

Beat Rockin' Blocks

Started by Stefan, Nov 20, 2019, 19:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey everybody!

As you may or may not know, I am a huge Lego fan, and in 2011, to celebrate my first Chems concert, I decided to build a model of their stage setup.

Ever since they introduced the new synthesizer racks and George and Mildred, I wanted to also upgrade my model.

Well, it's finally finished:

The Chemical Brothers by Stefan Schindler, on Flickr

This time, I decided not to use brick-built synthesizers and had bricks custom printed for most of the gear, I think it really adds a lot of detail.
Huge thanks to Matt Cox, without his twitter feed I probably wouldn't have managed to build this.

Hope you like it, cheers  :)

PS: Somebody on twitter commented that I shoul've called the model "Superstar DJs, Here's LEGO!". My pun game is not strong enough to come up with this on my own.
Last Edit: Mar 28, 2023, 16:05 by Csar

This is huge! Awesome! :o ;)
Hi Kevin!

Great work Stefan

Methinks we need a Stefan/Smith/Lyall stop motion project  :P

This is so fucking great. Amazing work man!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Thanks a lot  :)

@Pumisher: Yeah, he also retweeted it and my twitter blew up. I haven't figured out Instagram yet, apparently it's where all the kewl kids are today*. I just found out yesterday that one can't post clickeable links, unless one is an influencer or so. If I ever become an influencer, I will have failed at everything I wanted to achieve in live.

@Bosco: yeah, that would be awesome ;D
I'm sure stop-motion would work well with the songs.

*Or Tik Tok. I'm pretty sure Instagram is already sooooo 5 years ago.
Last Edit: Nov 21, 2019, 18:34 by Stefan

This is awesome! How did you get those synth bricks printed? Is that an official service Lego offers ?

Quote from: Ben_j on Nov 21, 2019, 19:06

This is awesome! How did you get those synth bricks printed? Is that an official service Lego offers ?
Thanks!
Those are real Lego parts, but the printing is not official, there's someone in Germany who offers this (here's the shop: https://www.steindrucker.com/). I did all the graphics myself, btw :)

Those details on the graphics are spot on Stefan! Overall, a masterpiece! Great job!

Daft Punk and Prodigy next?
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

brilliant, you done real good here !!
Eight or over.

Effing fabulous, Stefan. Glad the secret project is finally unveiled ;) It's a feast for the eyes, the amount of detail you put into this is astonishing! First I thought, George's chest screen was printed until I realized it's backlit Lego too. Wow. And now that I think about it, those eyes you used for the Bots are Duplo ones, right? At least they look really familiar as I used to play with those as a kid

Again, awesome job!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

This should be in a Museum like the Louvre or something like that. What a piece of art! I'm not joking folks

Awesome work dude. The custom synth bricks are amazing.

PS. in instagram you can add clickable links in your bio :)

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 20, 2019, 19:10

Hey everybody!

As you may or may not know, I am a huge Lego fan, and in 2011, to celebrate my first Chems concert, I decided to build a model of their stage setup.

Ever since they introduced the new synthesizer racks and George and Mildred, I wanted to also upgrade my model.

Well, it's finally finished:

The Chemical Brothers by Stefan Schindler, on Flickr

This time, I decided not to use brick-built synthesizers and had bricks custom printed for most of the gear, I think it really adds a lot of detail.
Huge thanks to Matt Cox, without his twitter feed I probably wouldn't have managed to build this.

Hope you like it, cheers  :)

PS: Somebody on twitter commented that I shoul've called the model "Superstar DJs, Here's LEGO!". My pun game is not strong enough to come up with this on my own.

GODLIKE!! Well done Stefan, that is so pleasing to look at!
"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

Thanks heaps everybody  :)

@Csar: Backlighting the torsos delayed the model for two days, as it looked somehow bleak in the first photos (not unexpected, but I wanted to try it first without lights). Fortunately, Lego even makes LEDs I could use and there's a brand store here in Vienna where I could get them on short notice.
The Duplo eyes would be way too large at this scale, the eyes are standard Lego parts.

I'll gladly pay $300-$500 for a copy
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Stefan, you need to do this, but better: