Surrender to the Void

Timeless tunes!!

Started by Mob1, Jul 23, 2015, 16:35

Previous topic - Next topic
The three tracks that came to mind were all from the early to mid '00s period. There is stuff from other electronic eras that have a huge impact on me, but these are my immediate go to tunes (that I can currently think of). Two have stories to go along with them.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMgIGJEVsBw
Evil Nine dropped this as their last track at 6AM when I saw them play at Fuji Rock in '05. There was about 50 people left in the tent and the rising sun to our backs was just breaking between the mountains. The build in the song somehow reinvigorated everyone left standing to give everything they had left in the tank. Then to have it all taken away and have the 'Stephen Hawking' voice talk in sweet lullaby felt like a dream. There was then the last dance by all which was more outrageous than the last. As they let the track fade, the energy was slowly sucked out of the tent before going out like a candle at the end of its wick. I remember walking back to my tent with my now silent cohort in the weirdest dream state with my ears echoing, the birds chirping, the mist coming of the trees, the sun slowly brightening the valley, and this track still on my mind. Still taken back to that moment every time I listen to it. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX4UFb_LlU4
Something about  the combination of those horns, that diva voice, the DnB bass line, and that rhodes line on the drop still gets to me.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBfnRUBM3ck
David is a tune where I have loved every remix I've heard (original, David Emerson, Medicine 8, Tim Deluxe). But this King Britt mix is the closest to my heart and can be best described by how I dance to it.

With a stoic look on my face and closed eyes, my head nods with the kick drum. My feet, already a left right shuffle from the four on the floor beat, change to incorporate rotation my shoulders as the broken hi-hats kick in. Still in stoic emotion, my whole body moves in rhythm as 'Yes, I'm thinking of you' echos in the middle. As track elements are slowly subtracted to leave only the lighter touches, my steps revert back to the left right shuffle. The key change, the kick drum return, and the release of 'Yes I want to be with you love I do' sends my body back to full dance mode but with a large smile now occupying my emotions. My body slows and hastens with the improvised synth line. As elements fade away, my rhythm slows back to the left right shuffle, and finally the head nod and I return to a stoic state. The whole time I have my eyes closed.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

He's my all time favourite dj, every time I've seen him, whether that be in a warehouses, in a swanky club, fabric or in a boat, Josh Wink always hits the spot, massively underrated but I'm so glad he hasn't sold out with the likes of Hawtin, Cox ect. Obviously tracks like higher state of consciousness, are you there and I am ready are worth a mention, plus his recent releases such Balls and his work with Jimpster, but you've got to love this one...

I went through a phase of playing breaks, it's a real shame that the genre is dead, but I love this one like much of the Plumps older work...

I was lucky enough to go to the Berhain a few years ago, the vibes in the panorama  bar can't be matched anywhere, not even in space, at fabric or DC10. Octave One were playing a live set at the time, really like this classic...

I was 15 when Prodigys 'Music for the Jilted Generation' was released and 16 when Chemical Brothers 'Exit Planet Dust' came out. I was allready going to some local housepartys but at 16 I first went clubbing in Amsterdams Melkweg. At that time I was really into the Big Beat genre, Proppellerheads, Headdrillaz, Monkey Maffia, Fatboy Slim, Lo Fidelity Allstars, Bentley Rhythm Ace, and there was a monthley party at the Melkweg called "Big Beat Boom" where local DJ Mad ED was spinning his records. Certain track where always in his set, Proppellerheads 'Spybreak' or 'On her majestys secret service' and Dylan Rhymes 'Naked & Ashamed'. From the Big Beat era those 3 tracks has stood the test of time. And the following Dylan Rhymes track. I have had the oppertunity to see him DJ once at Dance Valley 1998. It was in a small tent with only 20 people. With the second record he played the decks broke and he couldn't continue his set and he left. He gave me that 12". (later on I discovered he killed at an after show partye later that night in Amsterdam while I was still at the festival). But this track as still amazing and has dear memories to me from that period of my life.

Dylan Rhymes - Killing Shadows

Here's some old shit that would be considered timeless in my circle of old clubbing comrades.

This was pretty much a warehouse staple:

Here's something from another group that liked to use This Mortal Coil  in their music.

Not really techno - it was considered industrial back in the day - but often at clubs where I'm from you'd hear industrial alongside hardcore alongside Manchester stuff (New Order, especially):

And of course this. Everyone loves this.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: ACIDCHILDREN on Jul 30, 2015, 07:35

He's my all time favourite dj, every time I've seen him, whether that be in a warehouses, in a swanky club, fabric or in a boat, Josh Wink always hits the spot, massively underrated but I'm so glad he hasn't sold out with the likes of Hawtin, Cox ect. Obviously tracks like higher state of consciousness, are you there and I am ready are worth a mention, plus his recent releases such Balls and his work with Jimpster, but you've got to love this one...

I was lucky enough to go to the Berhain a few years ago, the vibes in the panorama  bar can't be matched anywhere, not even in space, at fabric or DC10. Octave One were playing a live set at the time, really like this classic...

Jesus christ you have good taste. And I don't even believe in jesus.
Last dj gig i went was Josh, on the back of my mind i knew it was my last for some reason. it was so good that I retired from the circuit, i know nothing will ever come close to the set josh dropped on us. He even signed my copy of when a banana was just a banana. No homo, but i love that man.

And god damn it you dropped the big one, black-fuckin-water.  Can't believe how mental the crowd must have gone. holy shit, i really can't imagine it.

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jul 30, 2015, 22:40

Here's some old shit that would be considered timeless in my circle of old clubbing comrades.

Here's something from another group that liked to use This Mortal Coil  in their music.

Not really techno - it was considered industrial back in the day - but often at clubs where I'm from you'd hear industrial alongside hardcore alongside Manchester stuff (New Order, especially):

Quote from: whirlygirl on Jul 30, 2015, 22:40

OMG Do Not Make Me go on some crazy industrial kick.  Seriously.  The 2nd show I ever went to was My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult & Machines Of Loving Grace.  I was 16, it changed me for the better...or worse (depending on who you were asking).  Cincinnati's The Warehouse had a legendary industrial night for years.  Sigh. 

Quote from: Mob1 on Jul 31, 2015, 01:48

Jesus christ you have good taste. And I don't even believe in jesus.
Last dj gig i went was Josh, on the back of my mind i knew it was my last for some reason. it was so good that I retired from the circuit, i know nothing will ever come close to the set josh dropped on us. He even signed my copy of when a banana was just a banana. No homo, but i love that man.

And god damn it you dropped the big one, black-fuckin-water.  Can't believe how mental the crowd must have gone. holy shit, i really can't imagine it.

Thank you, Wink is a legend and also a really nice dude. I've had the pleasure of seeing him playing a lot and met him a few times. Love when a banana was just a banana, it's also worth checking his proton radio show.

This is a fairly recent track but I bloody love it...

I did see Marc Houle warm up for Josh a few years back.

Whirly, good shout on underworld!

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Jul 31, 2015, 04:39

OMG Do Not Make Me go on some crazy industrial kick.  Seriously.  The 2nd show I ever went to was My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult & Machines Of Loving Grace.  I was 16, it changed me for the better...or worse (depending on who you were asking).  Cincinnati's The Warehouse had a legendary industrial night for years.  Sigh. 

Right on!! My husband went to the infamous Limelight in NYC to see Peter Murphy and Sister Machine Gun a ton of years ago. There were a few flagship club nights in Los Angeles that we'd go to from time to time -  Sin-o-magic, Stigmata, Kontrol Faktory, Helter Skelter. They definitely attracted more the goth/industrial crowd (and some tourists because, L.A.) but it always felt like there was so much variety - cross genre mix of stuff - in the sets that were played which kept it interesting. These places aren't around anymore and haven't been in years!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

The Limelight!? just WOW Whirly, i just love that era. I honestly travelled a continent away to Chelsea just to see the limelight, twilo and sf buildings... i'm just a sucker for the sound of  those times, and in honor of that,
A sound factory anthem:
GTI baby,

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Jul 31, 2015, 04:39

OMG Do Not Make Me go on some crazy industrial kick.  Seriously.
Please do!!

This song is the epitome of not only a "timeless tune," but a "timeless" song in general.  I got into New Order through "Bizarre Love Triangle," "The Perfect Kiss," "Regret," and some song about a day of the week or something.  Then I bought the "Substance" compilation and my two favorite songs quickly became "Ceremony" and "Temptation."  "Trainspotting" was released and only solidified my love of this song into my brain.  I never knew the "Substance" version was not the original until The Chems started playing with it and then discussed their love of the original on BBC.  To be honest, I resisted the original version at first ( years of listening to the other version without knowing of the existence of the original will do that).  The 81-82 EP version eventually did become my favorite.   

Anyway, here is the first time it was played out (This is pretty much the exact point where New Order stopped trying to be Joy Division and became New Order)... 

Then the original release...

And the "Substance" release...

Yes. This is spot on. The best New Order song, one of the best songs ever, and easily the best song I've ever discovered thanks to Tom and Ed. The lyrics portray doubt, religious insecurity, and dealing with desires and thoughts we can't deny but desperately want to in such a unique and vulnerable way, to say nothing about the catchyness and perfect structure of the tune itself. It's one of those tunes that's grown with me and taken on new meanings as I listen to it again and again. I'm glad you found the original release and warmed up to it, it's definitely the superior version, captures the honesty of the song better.

I've never seen that first performance by the way. Wow that's rough.
Never for money, always for love.

Yeah, the EP release is much better...but I still have such a soft spot in my heart for the later version. 

Speaking of meanings being clearer, amazing how "The Perfect Kiss" may not at all be obviously about Ian Curtis unless you heard the "Substance" or 12" version (or seen the video).

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Aug 05, 2015, 06:31

Speaking of meanings being clearer, amazing how "The Perfect Kiss" may not at all be obviously about Ian Curtis unless you heard the "Substance" or 12" version (or seen the video).
Yeah it's worth pointing out that the Substance (CD) version of TPK is an edited version of the 12", and it's not as good. Some of the drama of the big closing section is reduced by editing it down.  And as for the edit they put on Low Life? Well it's just wrong!
Incidentally they didn't edit the track for the vinyl version of Substance (in case anyone here besides me owns an original vinyl version of Substance).
So this is the full length unedited 12" version of The Perfect Kiss. 

IT'S MORNING TIME!

This track is beautiful  and also use to get regularly dropped by the brothers...

I love how many of us chem fans are also fans of New Order, I think beyond the obvious influence the Hacienda scene had on the Chems,  there's a spiritual/musical connection there that transcends just being "under the influence" of new order.
For me the story of music goes like this: In the beginning God created the Sex Pistols, then came New Order and then the Chems.
And if you know history they are all related... and it all came from that little island in Europe.

This. All night.

And then this for a bit.

(Yes, I chose this version over Laurent Garnier's version.)
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Mob1 on Aug 14, 2015, 18:54

I love how many of us chem fans are also fans of New Order, I think beyond the obvious influence the Hacienda scene had on the Chems,  there's a spiritual/musical connection there that transcends just being "under the influence" of new order.
For me the story of music goes like this: In the beginning God created the Sex Pistols, then came New Order and then the Chems.
And if you know history they are all related... and it all came from that little island in Europe.

The Clash > Sex Pistols