Would You Like to Come Inside?

The Prodigy (official thread)

Started by ThePumisher, Jul 23, 2015, 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jan 08, 2016, 05:22

This is news!?! If a guy wants to go on a fox hunt, why not?

Because foxes are people too.

Oh wait...
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Jan 08, 2016, 05:22

This is news!?! If a guy wants to go on a fox hunt, why not?

Well Neorev points out that it wasn't a proper foxhunt, and so there was nothing legally wrong with it.
However Foxhunting itself is Illegal in the UK.  And people who go out on these sort of trail hunts are the kind of people who probably want to do 'proper' foxhunting.

I believe in America, Hunting n' Fishing is seen as a  manly, down to earth kinda thing to do. However in  Europe there is an increasingly prevelant view that hunting animals for sport is cruel and uncool.  Anyone who saw the Sean Penn film The Gunman last year may have noticed a statement at the end of the film that Bullfighting (which featutured in an important scene) is outlawed in Barcelona.  I have to admit that I generally agree with the sentiment that bloodsports aren't really sport at all.  In most sports the participants are willing, but I suspect most animals don't want to be chased and savaged/killed for fun.

Add in the fact that in the UK foxhunting is associated with the priveledged few. Traditionally it was the posh landowners who could afford to run stables who organised these things.  The sort of people we still see lolling around half asleep in the House of Lords, unelected and making decisions that affect the whole country.  These people tend to be seen as toffy nosed twats with their fancy names (Lord Arbuthnot of Edrom for e.g.), and are not especially popular with the general population.

Now look at Keith; He's a Firestarter! The Prodigy take some of their cues from punk, which was meant to be the atithesis of all that overlording stuff.  When The Sex Pistols sang  "God Save the Queen, her fascist regime" they were kicking against the kind of posh, horse-owning landowners who go foxhunting. Many other musicians on this side of the pond (and arty people in general) tend to have left of centre views, which means pro Animal Rights and Anti-Royalty.

And of course a Fox basically is the artwork of the current Prodigy album.  I suspect it's meant to represent danger or rebellion. You see them in London streets every night jumping through people's front gardens like stealthy outlaws. Keith? He wants to shoot em! (maybe)

So to some poeple Keith seems like a bit of a sell-out.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Flint
Firestarter

hehehe
(this joke is from like 1997)
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Skyscraper, Thanks! I didn't know any of that. You're mostly right, hunting here is far more of a "rural" activity/sport done by outdoorsy people who are into it - no aristocratic stigma whatsoever. Not that everyone approves of it (it being hunting and all) and it's a significant part of the gun debate, but it's not a controversy if someone decides to go hunting, it's as much of a hobby as camping or sportbike racing would be.

I completely see why that's a problem now.
Last Edit: Jan 08, 2016, 17:25 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

I'm flipping out. Liam Howlett himself messaged me privately through his Instagram. I had recently posted a comment on a clip he put up of himself recording in the studio. I commented a link to another vid he posted years ago during the making of The Day Is My Enemy of him recording an unused riff that I thought was cool. He messaged me to tell me thanks for reminding him about the riff and that he wants to do something with it. He then told me that he knows my own work, since I am a striving producer, and that he likes my tunes. I couldn't frigging believe it. I've been listening to The Prodigy since the 4th grade. Here's my biggest inspiration that got me into electronic music telling me that he likes my music. I tried to play it cool and thanked him. This fits with what an administrator of another fan site of the band said to me that the band were aware of me. He started asking me where I was from, chatted about music, and asked if I was signed or if I do everything on my own. It's pretty wild. I guess I know where to send my next finished track first.
Last Edit: Mar 16, 2016, 18:08 by neorev

Quote from: neorev on Mar 16, 2016, 18:06

Liam Howlett himself messaged me privately through his Instagram.
Did he ask for a longer version of The Switch? ;)
no idea, no idea

Quote from: neorev on Mar 16, 2016, 18:06

Liam Howlett himself messaged me privately through his Instagram. I had recently posted a comment on a clip he put up of himself recording in the studio...He then told me that he knows my own work... I guess I know where to send my next finished track first.
Careful, he'll nick your ideas and you'll be the little guy who can't do anything about it!
Is this his instagram account? Prodigy Official.  Zero posts. Where did he put the clip of himself in the studio?
Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 16, 2016, 19:11

Ha! Well, did he?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 16, 2016, 20:15

Careful, he'll nick your ideas and you'll be the little guy who can't do anything about it!
Is this his instagram account? Prodigy Official.  Zero posts. Where did he put the clip of himself in the studio?Ha! Well, did he?

This is his Instagram...
http://www.instagram.com/theprodigyofficial/

And no, he did not ask for an extended Switch lol.

He's usually been pretty good with giving people props for any ideas he nicks and it's not often he has ever nicked people's ideas. I know he used one little sound in Omen taken from a free sounds site, which he gave credit for in the album booklet. The other was the Public Enemy mash up, which he got the idea from a YouTube video. He actually approached the guy about it first.

I am mailing his mgmt some CDs to give him. Disrupt The Scene seems to be his favorite release. He even called it "heavy." I can live with that :)

I'm guessing he heard my stuff through my thread on the Brainkiller Prodigy fan site. Not sure. I did do a theme song and background music for another fan site that does update videos...

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 16, 2016, 19:11

I'm curious, where would you like The Switch to go? What do you guys expect to hear? Simply repeat another section of the song all verse chorus verse-like or go somewhere completely different? I'm interested to understand where you wanted it to go from that point on.   

Last Edit: Mar 24, 2016, 00:03 by neorev

I'll be at a festival gig thus saturday with a oppertunity of meeting Liam backstage. Fingers crossed.

Nice!

Ask him how he feels being in a different band with same name.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yessahh  .  .  .  Prodigy  have  confirmed  new  music  coming  in  2017
" Everybody  jumpin out of their mind  "

Quote from: Fine Time on Dec 26, 2016, 09:05

Yessahh  .  .  .  Prodigy  have  confirmed  new  music  coming  in  2017
It had better be original and not just another rehash which only purpose it is to make a statement about electronic music. More creativity, less attitude - a lot less. And please, no more Sleaford Mods collaboration.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

After all these years, the Prodigy is still so fuckin' cool...

The Prodigy announce a new single at the end of this year with a new album in early 2018!!!

It better be fresh and interesting rather than a lackluster rehash and a faint collection of good ideas that turned out to go nowhere really like with The Day Is My Enemy. I'd like a Prodigy album as playful as Jilted. Give us some variety and facets (Beyond the Deathray, Omen reprise were good approaches) rather than mere arena-driven in-your-face kind of sounds that they've been releasing since AONO.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 19, 2017, 19:23

It better be fresh and interesting rather than a lackluster rehash and a faint collection of good ideas that turned out to go nowhere really like with The Day Is My Enemy.

"because he's Keith Liam from the Prodigy, and he can do whatever the fuck he likes"

Last Edit: Sep 19, 2017, 19:41 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 19, 2017, 19:34

"because he's Keith Liam from the Prodigy, and he can do whatever the fuck he likes"
— Aurora (The Seed)

What is this? I'm not familiar with this anecdote it seems  :(