And It Feels Like I'm Dreaming

Exhibition, Electronic: From Kraftwerk to The Chemical Brothers

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Feb 12, 2020, 13:46

Previous topic - Next topic
Design Museum London

What to expect

Evoking the experience of being in a club, the exhibition will transport you through the people, art, design, technology and photography that have been capturing and shaping the electronic music landscape.

Celebrate 50 years of legendary group Kraftwerk with a half-hour long 3D show. Step into the visual world of The Chemical Brothers for one of their legendary live shows, as visuals and lights interact to create a new three-dimensional experience by Smith & Lyall – featuring Grammy Award-winning track 'Got to Keep On'.

Travel to dance floors from Detroit to Chicago, Paris, Berlin and the UK's thriving scene; featuring over 400 objects and the likes of Detroit techno legend Jeff Mills, Haçienda designer Ben Kelly and the extreme visual world created by Weirdcore for Aphex Twin's 'Collapse'. Discover early pioneers like Daphne Oram and the seminal BBC Radiophonic Workshop. Indulge your senses with large scale images of rave culture by Andreas Gursky, iconic DJ masks and fashion, a genre-spanning soundtrack by French DJ and producer Laurent Garnier, graphics from Peter Saville CBE and history-making labels and club nights.

https://twitter.com/DesignMuseum/status/1227585657830289408
(^ doesn't embed because emojis)
https://twitter.com/NME/status/1227565155166425088
IT'S MORNING TIME!

A couple of Chems T Shirts and a black version of the tea towel here, along with some other Chemical items. I'm liking the slow shutter Tee. I like imagery more than just a band name. One is art, the other is advertising  The Kraftwerk autobahn shirt is nice too. For £25...

https://designmuseumshop.com/collections/new-arrivals?page=4
(This is page 4, see page 2 for the GTKO 12")

EDIT: Just realised these are in the Merch section on the chems website too, along with the white tea towel re-imagined as a Tee and a tote bag.
Last Edit: Aug 04, 2020, 22:02 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

ugh, i'm tempted by the new hbhg shirt o.O
Eight or over.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 04, 2020, 21:54

I'm liking the slow shutter Tee. I like imagery more than just a band name. One is art, the other is advertising 
Yeah, I never really understood why they have so few cool shirts with live visual prints available rather than just those simplistic logo shirts. They could choose from quite a selection of wonderful themes... The mad telephone man, Swoon, Escape V, etc.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

they're giving us creative room to make our own, obviously =)
Eight or over.

Did anyone go yet?

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Starting tomorrow, December 17, 2020, the Design Museum will be offering virtual tours for their latest exhibition "Electronic - From Kraftwerk to the Chemical Brothers"

https://www.facebook.com/events/4688448591228379/

ELECTRONIC - THE VIRTUAL TOUR
ELECTRONIC - THE VIRTUAL TOUR

Enjoy a specially-curated tour of the five-star exhibition from the comfort of your home.

Be the first to access this new filmed tour featuring exclusive interviews from legendary musicians and designers by joining the launch event on Facebook.

WARNING: This film includes strobe lighting.

HOW TO JOIN THE EVENT

- Buy one ticket per viewer via the Facebook online  event

- Access the Facebook event on Thursday 17 December at 20.00 GMT (Facebook will also notify you in advance on the platform)

- Watch the panel discussion

- A link and password to watch an exclusive preview of Electronic: The Virtual Tour will be shared as part of the panel discussion.

Don't worry if you miss the panel discussion, a recording will be accessible by all ticket-holders until 27 December 2020. The film will be available for ticket-holders in an exclusive area of the museum's website until March 2021.

WHAT THE PRESS SAID ABOUT THE EXHIBITION

- 'Dizzying dance music trip is something to rave about' ★★★★★ London Evening Standard

- 'Poignantly brings the spirit of communal celebration to a museum' ★★★★★ The Guardian

- 'A big moment for dance music' ★★★★ The Times

WHAT TO EXPECT

Join Design Museum curators Gemma Curtin and Maria McLintock, as they guide you through key moments of the exhibition.

On your virtual tour, listen to exclusive interviews from:

- Internationally acclaimed artists such as Jean-Michel Jarre, Shiva Feshareki, Alan Oldham and A Guy Called Gerald.

- Ground-breaking designers and visual artists such as Judas, Kate Moross, Pier Schneider and François Wunschel of 1024 Architecture, Smith & Lyall, Yuri Suzuki and Weirdcore.

- Jean-Yves Leloup, co-curator of the exhibition.

Meet the inventors and trailblazers of electronic music from early 20th century pioneers to Daphne Oram, Jeff Mills and more. Explore the birth of house and techno in Chicago and Detroit, New York's historic dance culture and the UK's Second Summer of Love.

Immerse yourself in mind-altering audio-visuals and live performances from the likes of Weirdcore for Aphex Twin, Smith & Lyall for The Chemical Brothers and Max Cooper; alongside 1024 Architecture's mesmerising light and sound installation, CORE.

Discover how electronic music continues to provide a space for creative expression and freedom for marginalised groups, touching on the work of Kiddie Smile, Virginie Kypriotis and Judas Companion for Deena Abdelwahed; and the genre's political connections through the work of James Cauty and Jeremy Deller.

PANEL TALK: NIGHTLIFE ARCHITECTURE

The evening will start with a talk chaired by design and nightclub historian Dr Catharine Rossi with special guest, electronic artist Daniel Avery and DJ, musician, and broadcaster Nabihah Iqbal.

CREDITS

Electronic is an Exhibition by the Musée de la Musique – Philharmonie de Paris

Curated by Jean-Yves Leloup

'Electronic: The Virtual Tour' produced by the Design Museum and Tailored Media
— Aurora (The Seed)

Their homepage only mentions an FB option which is unfortunate, in my opinion. Why limit that to users of a certain platform?!? You'd think they could use any penny.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Dang. I was all ready to hop in on this but I missed the start time.

Let us know how it was if you "attended".
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: ThePumisher on Dec 16, 2020, 20:14

Any chances without FB?
Quote from: Enjoyed on Dec 17, 2020, 20:34

Dang. I was all ready to hop in on this but I missed the start time.

Look like it's Christmas for both of us...
Take the Virtual Tour
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Kudos to this young fella. Wished I would have been that bright regarding musical taste and stuff at that age.

— Aurora (The Seed)