If You Ever Change Your Mind About Leaving It All Behind..

Las Vegas Sphere

Started by Csar, Sep 30, 2023, 22:39

Previous topic - Next topic
Just came across this WaPo article about this new gigantic venue in Las Vegas that @Fine Time mentioned here. It was inaugurated this Friday by U2.

The rock band's first performance of their Las Vegas residency was also the christening of the $2.3 billion globe-shaped entertainment venue, which has dazzled — and sometimes annoyed — onlookers after construction was completed at the Venetian Resort this summer. Coated inside and out with more than a million programmable LED lights, the Sphere has already wowed the Vegas skyline by morphing into a 33-story Christmas snow globe and a giant eyeball.
[...]
The Sphere is considered the world's largest building with such a shape. To get a sense of its scale: The entire surface of its inside screen measures 3.7 acres — about three football fields of digital real estate. The outside surface is substantially larger.

And while watching the video above, I was immediately thinking what Adam and Marcus could pull with that kind of thing! They could just run wild with it and turn the place into a mind-fucking, brain-dazzling visual white rabbit hole. Ah, the possibilities!!
Now that touring in the US has apparently become such a pain, couldn't THIS present a wonderful opportunity to get them back there!?! Could you imagine what it'd look like if millions of eyes from TPPR would be staring back at you, 360?

How about a residency, Tom, Ed?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

oh man look what you did to my hopes.

venue is nuts though. another level.

So glad you posted this, I was reading some comments today on Facebook about U2 at the Sphere and the thought of the Chems doing a show there, now that you mention it -  that would be so WILD, wouldn't it?? All that technology for Adam and Marcus to dig into. It makes me wonder if my mind would even survive such an experience, if there was a Chems show there! Those eyes during the Reel... omg!!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Thanks Csar for starting this topic! I just saw the U2 footage at the Sphere recently like Whirls mentioned.

I just started looking for booking information about this venue but found nothing yet online

I really want to see the Saturate balls explode before my eyes ..(Wait!! That didn't come out right)  :))

Anyway, I've been sending dm's of links to vids of the Sphere to Adam and Marcus on insta since the Darren Oronofskys 'Postcards from Earth' debut. I'm really hoping they can work something out maybe late 2024 or 2025 for multiple dates.

This show HAS to happen... PERIOD!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I was coming here to post about that. I had no idea the Sphere was home to a concert hall with a gigantic screen inside, and just saw the U2 videos, which look insane, and immediately thought about what a Chemical Brothers show could be at this venue !

When I first saw that there was a concert venue inside, my first thought was also "oh just imagine what a Chems show would look like there" ;D

Imagine the Chems playing there!

Remember the have previously floated the idea of doing a 360' visual show before at the Roundhouse London around 2008/2010. If I remember it wasn't feasible. Look like Las Vegas has caught up with the chemical brother!

Ready for another trip to Vegas!

In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

They are talking about building one of these in east London - if they do go ahead with it then chems could probably manage to sell enough there to make it work.

Not sure it would be remotely economical in the US sadly
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Ok, I'm just gonna say it:
U2 SPHERE has the best live show visuals in the world. Better than the Chemical Brothers.

[ducks for cover]
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I think I'm going to get a visa for the USA... just in case.

I wonder how involved u2 and their crew were with the visuals

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 01, 2023, 23:05
Ok, I'm just gonna say it:
U2 SPHERE has the best live show visuals in the world. Better than the Chemical Brothers.

[ducks for cover]

I reported your post to a moderator
no idea, no idea

Narrator: "He actually did"
Please log in to view this attachment.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: shakermaker on Oct 02, 2023, 15:29
I wonder how involved u2 and their crew were with the visuals
Here's a nice little thread (sort of) on the subject

https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1708512730746134535

Quote from: ThePumisher on Oct 02, 2023, 15:32
I reported your post to a moderator

Quote from: Csar on Oct 02, 2023, 16:12
Narrator: "He actually did"
Please log in to view this attachment.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 02, 2023, 18:17
Here's a nice little thread (sort of) on the subject https://twitter.com/TrungTPhan/status/1708512730746134535
takeaways:
  • 3-4 month residency minimum
  • $400-$1400 a ticket
no band I like will ever play there lol

four months of work to build the visuals! wow.

Quote from: shakermaker on Oct 03, 2023, 03:32
takeaways:
  • 3-4 month residency minimum
  • $400-$1400 a ticket
no band I like will ever play there lol

four months of work to build the visuals! wow.

Very few acts can make that work - and none that the production really makes sense for. Lets be honest, this venue is hardly built for U2.

While not exactly to most people's taste on here, it would be cool if they get some dance acts to do it (despite it probably being like Calvin Harris or someone)

The price and length of residencies will surely come down overtime as they struggle to get acts who can fill it properly - and with AI and other technology advancements making the visuals could become cheaper too.
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

yeah I'm imagining Calvin, Tiesto, Swedish Mafias. though Tiesto already has a Vegas gig I think.

Another perspective from the lower seats

— Aurora (The Seed)