But Now I Think I See the Light

The Electronic Music Puzzle

Started by WhiteNoise, Mar 22, 2020, 21:26

Previous topic - Next topic
Nicely done on the older music videos, Whitenoise.

Is the sticker on the Tardis (left of Autobahn) a nod to SebastiAn or Robert Smith (The Cure). Hope it's the later...

Edit: just noticed actionjackson has it nailed with The Human League
Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 09:31 by Bosco

If music videos are the key, could the green stuff in front of the pc be a reference to Star Guitar?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 23, 2020, 06:53

If music videos are the key, could the green stuff in front of the pc be a reference to Star Guitar?

Those are a reference to Boards of Canada.

Who else do wee feel isn't represented here?
Underworld? Groove Armada? Fluke? Leftfield?

I wonder if the reel to reel is more of a general reference to Music Concrète.
Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 07:07 by Enjoyed
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 23, 2020, 01:47

There are a couple of versions of Popcorn. Yes Hot Butter is probably the more famous.
?

?

Besides the crab, there's also their ant on the match box representing the Prodigy.
Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 08:27 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 23, 2020, 06:59

Who else do wee feel isn't represented here?
Underworld? Groove Armada? Fluke? Leftfield?

Non-dance related: Vangelis, Philip Glass, and Dead Can Dance, maybe?

I'm gonna take a crack at the Chems reference. Going with the music video theme, the paints (black, white, and grey) are a nod to Galvanize clown makeup. Along with the little triangular tipped sponges. And that's a reach...
Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 10:18 by Bosco

So most of the answers are on that Reddit thread. That's where you got the Spacehopper stuff, right WN?

Somehow a 1971 trance/rave scene is something that's completely alien to me. Not that I'm old enough to remember back that far. But eh...I need to see/hear music from this supposed 1971 trance/rave scene.

Yellow Magic Orchestra and Boards of Canada have never really been my bag,so those were never gonna happen for me. And the Tricky video? Never seen that before. Seems obscure, no?

Have we got the Chems yet? If this forum can't get it...
(EDIT: Bosco's Galvanize face paint is probably as good a guess as any)
Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 12:22 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 23, 2020, 12:12

Have we got the Chems yet? If this forum can't get it...
Hm, could the bus' paint job be a Wide Open reference? Its pattern sort of reminds me of the Sonoya Mizuno's body transformation. But I like Whitenoise's Reel reference, too.
If only the brothers would wear helmets...
Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 12:39 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 23, 2020, 12:12

So most of the answers are on that Reddit thread. That's where you got the Spacehopper stuff, right WN?
I'm in that thread :D

I recognized it as a sit n bounce, googled what the hell those had to do with electronic music, and found the Wikipedia article connecting it to the Birmingham Spacehopper club. Not something I knew off the top of my head! I dunno about any trance scene in the 70s though, I think that's something an article somewhere got wrong and meant to say 91. And apparently it's not even a reference to that, according to the artist, that was an accidental connection. So another electronic artist must have used the imagery.

Also says the Chems reference is a music video reference. I think Bosco's guess is the best... it should be unmistakable once we find it though, right? We're apparently maybe missing a third Prodigy reference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronicmusic/comments/fmlu31/working_on_a_print_celebrating_the_history_of/fl9gd4u/

Enjoyed I thought your Bentley Rhythm Ace guess was great...

but here's our Block A:

Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 15:19 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

Ah, I see, videos. So the box of matches with their ant logo I mentioned above is actually Firestarter!
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Mar 23, 2020, 12:23

Hm, could the bus' paint job be a Wide Open reference? Its pattern sort of reminds me of the Sonoya Mizuno's body transformation. But I like Whitenoise's Reel reference, too.
If only the brothers would wear helmets...
We already got that: it's Tricky, WN embedded the video. And yeah I mentioned the matches as well as the crab re: Prodigy in my "spoiler" reply under WN's OP.

(EDIT: God I said "demi-globe" instead of hemisphere in my spoiler reply re: PSB. Sometimes you just...forget a word!)
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Damn it, got another one. The weird stuff inside the TARDIS

Spoiler

is from Daft Punk's Interstellar, the Harder Better Faster Stronger section, around 35 seconds in:

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 23, 2020, 12:47

We already got that: it's Tricky, WN embedded the video. And yeah I mentioned the matches as well as the crab re: Prodigy in my "spoiler" reply under WN's OP.
:( So I'm of no use here.

Ok, I'll give it another try: the ping pong bat is a reference to Confront Your Demons:

:D, I know, I know, it's not a video...
— Aurora (The Seed)

Pretty sure ping pong AND joystick are references to Air (Kelly Watch The Stars video).

@WN does that cover the blue bits in the Tardis as well? Or just the green thing?

I think One reference per artist would be better. So you can just say "we've already got X, so it must be someone else". The helmets were enough for DP. Are we all meant to be video buffs now?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

So, what about the bus' paint job I mentioned earlier? Wide Open reference or not? Cause this is a video :D
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 23, 2020, 12:50
@WN does that cover the blue bits in the Tardis as well? Or just the green thing?
Yep, both. Seems we're without an Underworld / Born Slippy reference.

Yeah once per would be fine for me. If there's a third Prodigy reference I don't have a clue what it is...

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 23, 2020, 12:47
"demi-globe"
new band name

Quote from: Csar on Mar 23, 2020, 12:56
So, what about the bus' paint job I mentioned earlier? Wide Open reference or not? Cause this is a video
I think it's gotta be just a Tricky reference, the bus has that exact paint job in the video.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Mar 23, 2020, 13:01

Yep, both. Seems we're without an Underworld / Born Slippy reference.
Heroin needle & bag of cash required. Or Ewan McGregor poster?

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Mar 23, 2020, 13:01

Yeah once per would be fine for me.
Have a word! Get the artist to yank that DP sh*t out of the tardis and get George & Mildred in there pronto!

*EDIT* Also Enjoyed mentioned Leftfield. If they're not there, they should be.
Screamadelica/Weatherall possibly worth acknowledgement too...
Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 13:48 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Hmmm,i realy like Goldfrapp, but are they such a big thing for electronic music history?

Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 13:28 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

^Who influenced electronic music will always be subjective. It's a little brain teaser exploring the mindset of the creator on this subject. And yes, I would agree some artists that have been included are significant, but not necessarily worthy.

The Chemical spill (!!!) from Massive Attack bottle down Tardis to the ground has to be a reference to something, right? Why detail it to that degree...

EDIT: Nevermind, The spill is flammable. Probably just another clue for Firestarter.

Maybe something else to look at... pole on top of mirrorball? extra short tuning fork? I have no clue... lol
Last Edit: Mar 23, 2020, 20:42 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Mar 23, 2020, 18:19

^Who influenced electronic music will always be subjective. It's a little brain teaser exploring the mindset of the creator on this subject. And yes, I would agree some artists that have been included are significant, but not necessarily worthy.

I totally agree this ends up being more about the artist than the musicians, but... Underworld? I really don't think there's any world in which they aren't considered a gigantic part of the world of electronic music. Even if you're not a fan, you have to acknowledge their contribution to the scene. And with that, it does, in my opinion, become a fault of the artist.

That said, we don't know if they are in there yet. Right!?

Also, cigarette box wise - that's definitely a logo or album cover on the case. It looks familiar but I can't place it. It reminds me of Stanton Warriors a little. But, I don't see it being them.

Great catches on all the references though everyone! This has been really fun to dissect!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Cigarette Box = David Bowie 'Low', perhaps?