Dream How I Dream to Feel

Buying old EBWs, how to spot original and fake pressings ?

Started by Ben_j, Apr 24, 2019, 14:46

Previous topic - Next topic
Everything is in the title. Most EBWs had bootleg copies, so how can I be sure I'm buying an original copy, and once the vinyl is here, how can I spot if it's the real deal ?

Have a look on Discogs. My guess is "etchings"/ engravings on the runouts.

Like for EBW 1/2
  Matrix / Runout (Side A (etched)): MIKE'S THE EXCHANGE
  Matrix / Runout (Side B (etched)): MIKE'S THE EXCHANGE
  Matrix / Runout (Side A (stamped)): XDUSTLPDJ 2 A-01-01- I
  Matrix / Runout (Side B (stamped)): XDUSTLPDJ 2 B-01-01- I

https://www.discogs.com/de/The-Chemical-Brothers-Electronic-Battle-Weapon-1-Electronic-Battle-Weapon-2/release/96835
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I've actually been meaning to post about this as well. I recently went through and re-added my entire vinyl collection to Discogs, and was surprised to find after careful consideration that a couple of my EBW copies are in fact bootlegs. I can't remember off the top of my head what else gave it away, but comparing mine to the descriptions on Discogs I was pretty confident a couple of mine were boots.

On that topic, although maybe it should go in another thread, I found I had a couple other Chems bootlegs that I'd assumed were legit. For example: I have a bootleg of TPPR 12". The labels are slightly different and it came in a generic sleeve w/ no poster. Seems like an odd choice for someone to make a fake of, as opposed to say BRB or HBHG.

Well, the fake EBW5 is some sort of garbage trance song with the vocal hook instead. That's an easy indicator. I learned that lesson the hard way years ago. Also, the weight was kind of light, but I didn't have a real one to compare it to.

I've just inspected the ones I already have. I think my EBW6 copy is fake ☹️

Just checked again. Only my EBW3/4 is a bootleg. I'm missing EBW 5 and 11, thought I wouldn't trust buying EBW5 without play-testing since it seems to be the most well-known fake.

Curious, as I bought every one I own at Music & Video Exchanges in London, so it's odd they were getting in legit and bootleg pressings..

I bought a supposed "new" EBW7 from old stock on Discogs. "The price tag is still on the plastic". To be continued...

Quote from: Ben_j on May 07, 2019, 12:14
Received EBW7 and it's a bootleg...
Bummer! How does it sound though? While a shame to have a bootleg, my unofficial EBW3/4 sounds nice and loud still.

Quote from: actionjackson780 on May 07, 2019, 13:24

Bummer! How does it sound though? While a shame to have a bootleg, my unofficial EBW3/4 sounds nice and loud still.
It sounds good, yeah, but still sucks to know it's not the real deal :/
The seller will refund me and I get to keep the bootleg, so pretty fair from them

Agreed it's a shame. That's really nice of the seller, makes it kinda worth it just to test out buying sight unseen. Did the seller seem to have any idea it was a bootleg?

Quote from: actionjackson780 on May 07, 2019, 19:08

Agreed it's a shame. That's really nice of the seller, makes it kinda worth it just to test out buying sight unseen. Did the seller seem to have any idea it was a bootleg?
No, but it's a record shop, so I think they're aware Discogs does not authorize selling bootlegs and don't want any trouble with them.
I did ask them beforehand but didn't get an answer, and still went from it.

With the lock down and working from home I've been going through my vinyl collection. As I've found out today I still have some vinyl that I've never listened to as I already have that song in another format. Today I noticed that my EBW5 which I bought in December 2016 off discogs is actually that crappy trance remix. Couldn't believe it!

Recently completed my EBW collection by buying #5 off Discogs. Was hesitant given the odds of receiving the bootleg, but got lucky and it's the legit release! Very happy  :music

Quote from: actionjackson780 on Jun 16, 2020, 23:19

Recently completed my EBW collection by buying #5 off Discogs. Was hesitant given the odds of receiving the bootleg, but got lucky and it's the legit release! Very happy  :music
Where did you buy it from? If they have more, I'd be interested

Quote from: Ben_j on Jun 16, 2020, 23:24
Where did you buy it from? If they have more, I'd be interested
Sadly the seller hasn't relisted, so it must've been a one-off. Looks like a private seller, not a record shop. Sorry Ben!