Would You Like to Come Inside?

Get Yourself High / Don't Think K-OS link confirmed

Started by rynostar, Aug 29, 2020, 06:20

Previous topic - Next topic
Disclaimers to start. This is a somewhat of a long story. This may also get into sample / residual legality. Also, this story still sounds surreal as I type it back. I even sent ActionJackson780 a message soon after.

Some of you may know I'm now in Vancouver. I currently bartend at a joint called Gringo. It being Vancouver, we get film and music personalities in our place occasionally. One character that I've served on numerous occasions is K-os, vocals on Get Yourself High, as he has a place in the area (and it's Covid time so he is unlikely to travel to Toronto).

In the past, I've discussed my theory with many of you that K-os is on the vocal for Don't Think ("Don't Think. Just Let it flow"). I've never seen his name on any writing credit for Don't Think in the past. A few of you have in past conversations with me thrown names out  past who they thought it was.

Kevin / K-os came in with a friend this afternoon and was in good mood. As I'm serving him, we were talking about '90s Offspring albums, Dandy Warhols, and Oasis at some point. I've never fully geeked out on him in the past with my knowledge that he worked with T&E as I try not to fangirl around notable figures. Him being in a conversational mood,  I asked him if there was more material from his session with Tom and Ed for Get Yourself High. He immediately responded "Hell yeah, there was a ton more material recorded from that session".

He then went into how T&E just told him go at it on the mic in the booth. He then left in a cab and the record company told him to get back to the studio ASAP to do more recording. As soon as he got back to the studio, Tom was outside cursing him out for leaving so soon as they wanted even more (both material and energy). Kevin remarked that he was unsure of what they wanted as it was his first experience working with producers of that level. He remarked that Tom even stood in the booth with him once they started recording again. Kevin did sum up that after that experience, his production game increased from the time he spent around T&E. He sang their praises.

After hearing the story, I asked him if it was in fact him on Don't Think. He at first thought I was talking about Galvanize and Go with Q-Tip. I acknowledge both the Q-Tip tracks and pressed again about Don't Think. He remarks "You're telling me news I never knew. I wasn't aware I was on another one of their tracks". I tell him the lyric and he immediate responds positively saying "yeah, that is my flow" and in front of me breaks into "Just dance for elation, Don't Think, just let it flow" combining the lyrics from both tracks. He pulls out his phone and starts looking up the track on youtube. He pulls up the trailer for the DVD release, listens, and remarks "yeah, that sounds like me!". He then says "I gotta find out from them" and sends a message to T&E's manager.

I go back to work for a few minutes while him and his friend keep drinking. After a little he hollers over the bar that they got back confirming that was from the Get Yourself High session. He said the message he sent was "This dude I know just informed me that I was on a second track for T&E" and the manager responded "Of course, Don't you remember that?".

Before leaving, I gave him and his friend a free shot and joke with him that "it may not be residuals, but it's at least some payoff".

I still can't believe that this conversation took place and that it confirmed one of my longest standing unconfirmed theories. It's still surreal.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

What a damn cool story, Ryno! And what are the odds of such a once in a lifetime opportunity?!? K-os seems like a really nice lad and you, sir, are pretty much a damn fine bartender if you can get someone to talk so freely (don't know if you knew him closer before). What a fun night you must have had!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

That's so awesome Ryno! Still remember debating this with you over a couple beers.

That was an awesome story, thanks for sharing. 🥃

That's a great bit of trivia, thanks for sharing! :)

wow, that's fantastic. thanks for sharing! my ears always shouted k-os at me whenever i hear `don't think..just let it flow`
Eight or over.

I always thought to myself if it was either Q-tip or K-OS, glad to see it finally settled.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Ryno...what a cool story, thanks for sharing!
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Good trivia, damn need to ask Tom and Ed, about all that uncredited vocalist, for example, the "Get Up on it like this" dude
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: JRSZ on Sep 09, 2020, 22:50

Good trivia, damn need to ask Tom and Ed, about all that uncredited vocalist, for example, the "Get Up on it like this" dude

Quote from: LLG on Sep 10, 2020, 11:02

Holy shit: 10:26 10:40 11:37 Thanks LLG!!
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Holy guacamole! That's the discovery of the century for me chems-sample-wise. Was that common knowledge already?
So great to get a little context with that sample too for me as a non-native speaker. Thanks for sharing!!!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

EDIT: I'm not trying to hijack this thread. I apologize.

JRSZ, Conn6orsuper117, and Csar: I'm glad I could make your day. I didn't know it was such a mystery until you all responded, so I did some more research today. Here's what I found.

Early this morning, after JRSZ's reply, I did some searching and found the link to the sample here: https://www.whosampled.com/sample/629904/The-Chemical-Brothers-Get-Up-on-It-Like-This-Afrika-Islam-Zulu-Beats-Radio-Show-681983/

For the video I linked earlier, user eastlan94 posted it on YouTube on 2018-01-20. It's possible it wasn't widely available until this upload.

I use Google Play Music and just noticed this description on the "Loops of Fury" album (copy/paste):

For example (timestamped):

The voice
samples in "Get Up on It Like This" come from a radio
show performed by Afrika Islam in 1983. From that
show also come the vocals "Were 'bout ready to
rock steady' that appear on "Block Rockin Beats'. It
was uSed in the PlayStation game Wipeout 2097 and
appeared on the accompanying soundtrack. It was
also included on the bonus disc of Singles 93-03, and
as a B-side to the Japanese edition of "Setting Sun'.
Because the song segues into the next track on the EP
the ending is edited on compilation releases; it fades
out on compilations of various artists, while on Singles
93-03, it is interrupted by a vinyl scratch.
"Get Up on It Like This" was included in a reworked form
on the subsequent album, Dig Your Own Hole.

Cheers!
Last Edit: Sep 10, 2020, 23:35 by LLG

DAMN, DIDN'T EVEN THOUGHT, THAT MY POOR COMMENT WILL AFFECT ON THE WHOLE RESEARCH!
YOU GUYS ARE GREAT <3
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

@Conn6orsuper117: Thanks for the credit in your video. See below for more.
@JRSZ: Thanks for the inspiration.

Here are all the samples I can find so far that come from the radio show.

Get Up On It Like This

• Get up on it like this you know special mix @ 11:37:
  • A little early but thanks anyway @ 10:27:
  • Yes yes ya'll @ 29:22:
  • AJ chemical from the LSD crew Newark New Jersey says peace to the BC crew Funky Frank @ 10:41:
Block Rockin' Beats

• We're about ready to rock steady @ 27:10:

while we're at it, should we start a search for the OH YEAH sample they used during leave home (Circa 07-11)

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Oct 02, 2020, 00:50

while we're at it, should we start a search for the OH YEAH sample they used during leave home (Circa 07-11)

The one that was also used in Piku Playground live ?

Quote from: Ben_j on Oct 02, 2020, 08:15

The one that was also used in Piku Playground live ?
yeah, that song too  :)

sorry to bring this topic back but is there also the possibility that Zulu Beat is also the voice behind the "Rock the House and" quote in Voodoo people?

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Apr 14, 2021, 02:07

sorry to bring this topic back but is there also the possibility that Zulu Beat is also the voice behind the "Rock the House and" quote in Voodoo people?

I don't think so, and my memory is a little bit fuzzy, but I think the origin of that sample was found way back.