Do It Again

Rowlands Audio Research

Started by rynostar, Sep 24, 2020, 22:18

Previous topic - Next topic
Am I crazy or did we miss this???

https://soundcloud.com/rowlands-audio-research

There's an RAR soundcloud page that has some of Tom's edit's / mixes... updated 4 months ago... Anyone??
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Okay dang. That version of Lack of Love is either the real deal or such a good fan-made edit that it doesn't matter.
Never for money, always for love.

huh. cool. i feel like tom should really put out some funky 2-minute bangers of unfinished breakbeats with great basslines and acid bits—like amon tobin's two fingers
Eight or over.

Hm, real or fake? Yeah, Lack of Acid sure uses some trademark Chems sounds and samples, even the build-up has similar traits. Nice find!

The profile pic is dope though! Never saw Tom wearing a bun.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Definitely the real deal, the Lack of Love edit sounds too clean and too close to the real thing to be a remake !

Keep comparing Lack of Acid to the Cocorico video. The snares before the drop add up.

Also, can we talk about Bukui Psychedellico Demo. What's this??!!! Direct Buki? Hanna outtake? 

It was broadcast at the end of the Apple One Mix. It's plaaaaaaausible someone could have cut together this mix from what's there, but it really doesn't sound like it. The parts where idents and talking would be are too smooth sounding and the structure itself is different.

Let's get entirely and pointlessly too nerdy about this.

The header image is this:

It doesn't seem to match images of RAR that we've seen. The lighting, flooring, mixer, layout, etc look like a different setup.

BUT those synths! The one on the right is a Buchla 100 and it appears to be the exact model that Tom owns:

https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/04/22/the-chemical-brothers-buchla-100/

And the one just behind the yellow lamp is an EMS Synthi AKS, also in their collection. So that's certainly their gear. So far I can't find another copy of this image online. Maybe it's an older studio? Or that old version of their studio they created when writing No Geography?

HMMMMMM

The image for Bukui Psychdelico Demo is of a miner and his pit pony, it's a Getty Image and it was recently used in this Guardian Article from 6 months ago:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/03/country-diary-pit-pony-procession-halts-traffic-1970

Image for Latenight Psychdelic Mix is of Caja Eric (or Cala Eric), a Ziegfeld girl and performer in the late 1920s-mid 1930s. She wasn't terribly famous?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ziegfeld_girl

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trialsanderrors/2804029225

https://www.doctormacro.com/Images/Erik,%20Caja/Annex/Annex%20-%20Eric,%20Caja_01.jpg

The pic of Tom in his man bun glory doesn't turn up on any reverse image searches.

Commence more speculation.

Quote from: rynostar on Sep 24, 2020, 22:18

Am I crazy or did we miss this???
First your Don't Think chat/revelation and now this. Well done Ryno, you win the forum.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Sep 24, 2020, 22:56

Okay dang. That version of Lack of Love is either the real deal or such a good fan-made edit that it doesn't matter.
I'm gonna assume that this was deliberate considering the intro to this track. 8)

Agree with Ben's "too clean" comment. If I were a betting man I'd put money on these being uploaded by Tom.
On the off-chance that that isn't the case, may I suggest that we DON'T THINK about contacting T&E on social media to discuss. We don't want anything taken down now do we?
BTW has anyone recorded the two most important tracks yet? I'm on my phone but can't see a DL option.

As for the Bukui track, just because the name sounds a bit like Direct Buki doesn't mean the track does (IMHO). Could it be a Trespass Against Us outtake? Who knows!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

The TNK is the one they use (modulation effects, etc.) so I think it's legit.

I wonder if that studio pic is an old one before a massive remodel? The NS-10 (white coned) speakers aren't there, so maybe it was a secondary one at the time. The EMS is in the same spot as it is in other photos. Also, a lot of each stuff is stacked, some of the computer stuff looks old and it has the Culture Vulture unit, so I would guess that was around 2008 before it became their main studio?

Edit: This photo shows the API lunch box (small box on the left with blue on the side), the first two modules on the left are the same:

I'm definitely thinking it's an early version of the studio before a remodel and in-wall monitors.
Last Edit: Sep 25, 2020, 19:30 by Biff

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 25, 2020, 19:10

First your Don't Think chat/revelation and now this. Well done Ryno, you win the forum.

I'm putting this on the mantle with first to id swoon from the fabric dj set and first to acknowledge the etchings on the forum.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 25, 2020, 19:10

On the off-chance that that isn't the case, may I suggest that we DON'T THINK about contacting T&E on social media to discuss. We don't want anything taken down now do we?

Seeing as the number of listens has increased exponentially overnight, Tom will likely clue in that we found these "behind the couch tracks" (or read our hype here). Partly agree with Wolken knowing that we don't know the legal state of the track.

Also, I keep considering the upload date of (approximately) 4 months ago. It being end September now and not knowing if that's an early or late 4, I would estimate that this was a April / May upload. Was this a secret lockdown treat from Tom?

Quote from: Biff on Sep 25, 2020, 19:20

The TNK is the one they use (modulation effects, etc.) so I think it's legit.

Same thought, need to go back to the don't think dvd to check as it is one of the more clean versions we have.
Update / Edit: Don't Think DVD cuts off too early to tell.
Last Edit: Sep 25, 2020, 21:42 by rynostar

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Sep 25, 2020, 16:11

It's plaaaaaaausible someone could have cut together this mix from what's there, but it really doesn't sound like it.

Whitenoise, I'm really appreciating the scientific approach to verification.
Last Edit: Sep 25, 2020, 20:39 by rynostar

Looking at the soundcloud accounts he follows is interesting. We can see that Aphex Twin and his more underground user18081971 account (where he posted a ton of unreleased material) are his oldest followed accounts. His reposts of Through Me, Tutti Frutti and Nothing But Pleasure are 4 years old, so the account is AT LEAST 4 years old. Aphex Twin's user18081971 stuff is 5 years old, so maybe Tom joined, inspired by Aphex Twin, with the intention of sharing unfinished or unreleased stuff, and only did so 4 months ago.

or maybe he did share stuff all those years, deleting them after a while and we never knew

Quote from: Ben_j on Sep 26, 2020, 11:21
or maybe he did share stuff all those years, deleting them after a while and we never knew
please be wrong (-_-。)
Eight or over.

What a great discovery, You guys are geeking out (with good reason of course) and I'm just over here enjoying the hell out of the Chemical Chill Mix. :P
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I interpret this picture correctly when I say "they're recording new stuff", right? Riiiiight?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Aw yeah Tom's got the guitar out. Come With Us 2 here we go

Just saw this thread

Oh my god I need more of that solo project and mixes from both of Bros.

Lack of Love sounds really interesting.
I wouldn't say, that It's the proper Chems track, but the Proper personal Tom's work for sure!
The vocals are somehow rough and it defo deserves a better mix, but the track itself... I like it!
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

The only two I see missing from his Soundcloud is his Hearts remix of I Break Horses and his Klaxons collaboration on their trackChildren of the Sun

Hearts

Children of the Sun

— Aurora (The Seed)