What's this do? Dig Your Own Hole

Come With Us (XDUST5)

Started by ThePumisher, Jan 28, 2021, 17:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Favourite track from the CWU era

Come With Us
It Began In Afrika
Galaxy Bounce
Star Guitar
Hoops
My Elastic Eye
The State We're In (with Beth Orton)
Denmark
Pioneer Skies
The Test (with Richard Ashcroft)
Base 6
Hot Acid Rhythm 1
H.I.A.
The Duke
EBW6
We're rolling up to 20 years since the release of Star Guitar. I'm not certain of the "official" release date, but if I recall, music videos typically would hit MTV in advance and promo releases would be sent to radio stations, before the "official" physical release. So the celebratory date rest between late November to January 14th (according to Wiki).

Anyway, any chance for a special anniversary release of their Magnum Opus? Or, can we anticipate some type of special anniversary album for 'Come With Us'?

I know they did limited Star Guitar prints (late last year?), so I'm not looking for anything like that. Maybe a comprohensive single/EP type release including Temptation/Star Guitar live or newer live mixes used over the years? Colored and or special designed heavy weight vinyl? Some Swag?   


Quote from: Bosco on Oct 09, 2021, 19:07

We're rolling up to 20 years since the release of Star Guitar. I'm not certain of the "official" release date, but if I recall, music videos typically would hit MTV in advance and promo releases would be sent to radio stations, before the "official" physical release. So the celebratory date rest between late November to January 14th (according to Wiki).

Anyway, any chance for a special anniversary release of their Magnum Opus? Or, can we anticipate some type of special anniversary album for 'Come With Us'?

I know they did limited Star Guitar prints (late last year?), so I'm not looking for anything like that. Maybe a comprohensive single/EP type release including Temptation/Star Guitar live or newer live mixes used over the years? Colored and or special designed heavy weight vinyl? Some Swag?

Well, speaking of the magnum opus you mean DYOH, yeah? :Trollface:

But yeah, I'd defo want to see some special editions for other albums too, especially for DYOH and EPD
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

We should put signs in Ed's front yard saying that CWU is a good album, maybe that changes his mind...
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Oct 10, 2021, 10:32

We should put signs in Ed's front yard saying that CWU is a good album, maybe that changes his mind...

Can you post the source where Ed said that?
Something is ringing in my head, but I can't remember
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: JRSZ on Oct 18, 2021, 23:31
Can you post the source where Ed said that?
Something is ringing in my head, but I can't remember

This came to mind:
https://www.dummymag.com/features/the-chemical-brothers-no-geography-interview/

It's also quite an achievement that you've put nine albums out and you haven't really released a proper stinker at all. But if you had to put one at number nine, which one would it be?

Well only because you're asking me and I'm not volunteering this information, but I would say maybe 'Come With Us'? But then 'Come With Us' has 'Star Guitar' on it...

I know yeah, and 'Hoops'.

And 'Hoops', it does have some really good tracks. It was a strange time and I wish 'It Began in Africa' had just been released as a kind of standalone track, I think it sort of dominates the album. So if I really had to say a nine it would be 'Come With Us'. But I think it was because we had to follow those three albums. They always say the difficult second album – it's a difficult fourth album...


It's really strange that Ed feels that way even to this day. Come With Us is such a wonderful album and the 2002 live tours were one of the greatest.
Granted, it took a while for me to appreciate it the way I do today. Because, at the time this closer-minded young self was hunting just for Big Beat and breakbeat music and this album didn't meet my expectations at all (with some exceptions of the title track's short drum-fill, Hoops and the Test). But the more I explored music more openly, CWU became better and better with each listening. And that happend with so many Chems tracks that weren't strictly breakbeatish and all that jazz. I think it was even the second album I bought after Push the Button (the year I got fully invested into the Chems) because of the Test.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."

I'm not gonna lie, I was never a fan of It Began In Africa either. I much rather have Base 6 or even Hot Acid Rhythm 1.

Come With Us is still not their worst album. Born In The Echoes gets that award.

Quote from: neorev on Oct 19, 2021, 12:12

I'm not gonna lie, I was never a fan of It Began In Africa

Same! But later, my mind changed.

I think CWU was when the big sea departed! On one side, the fans who wanted the similarities and the original 'chems' formula from the previous albums, left! While the other side remained and embraced the creative change the chems took.

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

CWU is for sure the specific one, but oh god... The Test, or mentioned Hoops, Star Guitar, CWU, or It Began are great tracks, let's also not forget about My Elastic Eye and Galaxy Bounce
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Galaxy Bounce is tops
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

It Began In Africa hast the most intense Drums of all Chems songs. Change my mind.

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 06, 2021, 16:16

It Began In Africa hast the most intense Drums of all Chems songs. Change my mind.

I won't change your mind, and those few that want to be blasphemous, I say... chuff off!  8)


My personal favorite album of theirs. I love it so much that I made a retrospective album/artist review video talking a bit about the bros and all the fantastic tracks on this banger.

How has no one shown some love for Denmark?   :(
Insomnia.

Quote from: Zesty on Nov 08, 2021, 05:37

How has no one shown some love for Denmark?   :(

Too many other great tracks  :music

OneMansTracks,
welcome to the forum, and thanks for helping praise what is my favorite album from Chems, too.

Happy 20th birthday, come with us!!!!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZRyWefpOsP

Dunno why the link's broken.
Last Edit: Jan 29, 2022, 11:43 by Explud
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

it definitely feels like an underdog in the grand scheme of things.

I love it though. I'm happy for it to take up space on my record shelf.

I could gush more about this album, but you guys basically have heard it all.


I will say, I'm a little disappointed there was no anniversary celebration for "Star Guitar". It probably would sell well as new single re-pressing or celebratory EP.

25th anniversary maybe???

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.