Where Do I Begin?

The Prodigy (official thread)

Started by ThePumisher, Jul 23, 2015, 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Sounds incredibly Prodigy. Hoping to see them at some point - they are only playing at festivals in the UK this year that have awful crowds, was hoping they'd do Glasto :( 
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Quote from: JRSZ on May 17, 2023, 22:28
Wanted to post about it, but you've outran me with that.

As we've been talking on BK: Personally as much as I love it (those ravey synths and cinematic intro are dope as f) I'd like something beyond the IMD album scheme of last 3 records (even if IMD is like my 2nd fav album of theirs)
Quote from: ThePumisher on May 18, 2023, 07:52
I don't know. I still love them, i would go to a show if they come near. But man, somehow everything since IMD just sounds the same in a more or lesser way. Except maybe Stand Up (or the Shut 'em Up mashup). Distrup Ya Flow could easily be on any of the last three albums.

I believe it sounds that way because when they record their music, they have festivals and live performances in mind. They aim to create music that sounds great in a dance and rock festival setting.

I don't care. The new song makes me want to go out and riot. And that's good enough for me.

Totally agree! Saw them last friday, 'Disrupt ya flow' was just part a 3 minute of the set, nothing special or fresh sounding. But the show was pure energy was got me jumping and roaring like 25 years ago. But I also agree that IMD, TDIME & NT sound very much alike, at least not as different as Experience compared to MFTJG to TFOTL and AONO.

Quote from: neorev on May 18, 2023, 22:23
I don't care. The new song makes me want to go out and riot. And that's good enough for me.
Same here.
No matter if it sounds like IMD, or not.
If it works, then it works, nothing else matters
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Just bought the ticket for their gig in Poznań, Poland
It's quite close to my home city (Szczecin), have some mates in it (and some familiars going on gig) and damn, I've been waiting for this day like for 6-7 years, so here I go! 

Pls keep the fingers crossed!

Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Was thinking about heading to their show in Dusseldorf, but it's quit pricey so i'm not sure anymore
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jun 29, 2023, 19:21
Was thinking about heading to their show in Dusseldorf, but it's quit pricey so i'm not sure anymore
planned going to the Chems one too, but it's a bit too far and too pricey for me to go alone + my mates can't afford it, but they are thinking about making some cash to go for The Prodigy in december, as they should earn enough money + it's closer for 3 of us to even get there with a car
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Played Musgrave Park here in Cork a week after the Chemical Brothers, by all accounts a small crowd.  Saw them 29 years ago, when they were fun and it was all Charly, Wind It Up, Everybody in the Place etc.  Never really liked the angrier stuff after that.

Quote from: Conor74 on Jun 30, 2023, 09:40
Played Musgrave Park here in Cork a week after the Chemical Brothers, by all accounts a small crowd.  Saw them 29 years ago, when they were fun and it was all Charly, Wind It Up, Everybody in the Place etc.  Never really liked the angrier stuff after that.
Interesting take. 
They still use to do the tracks like that, take a listen to Warrior's Dance, Timebomb Zone, or Need Some1, strong early rave vibes on those.

But speaking of those Experience era tracks, have you heard Altern8's Full On Mask Hysteria album? 
Absolutely reccomend that
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Oh I love Altern8.

Altern8 were all that's good about rave music.  It wasn't very deep, there was no profound analysis of love or life.  But when people ask me why do I love the music I always remind them that no other genre was so focussed on fun.  And Altern8 got that, the sound, the look, the stunts.  The Prodigy did for a while but then they got darker and angrier.

Yes this is the same thing I just posted in the EML Ritual thread.

Watch the synth sounds from some of The Prodigy's biggest hits being recreated using the original hardware.
Music Radar
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 31, 2023, 23:46
Yes this is the same thing I just posted in the EML Ritual thread.

Watch the synth sounds from some of The Prodigy's biggest hits being recreated using the original hardware.
Music Radar
Worth posting!
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: Ak_30 on May 18, 2023, 12:22
I believe it sounds that way because when they record their music, they have festivals and live performances in mind. They aim to create music that sounds great in a dance and rock festival setting.

Sorry for late reply: 

Yeah, I know, it's a well known fact, but making music with live performance in mind doesn't mean that you can't experiment around it, especially when Liam is great when it comes to those experiments, sometimes even evolving it to the staple of his style: Fight Fire With Fire, Invisible Sun, TDIME Remix feat. Dope D.O.D., Breathe Re-Amp, even such classics as Voodoo People, Their Law, Poison and Firestarter, all of them were more or less the experiments. 

OFC I'm not saying that those "schematic" tracks are bad, hell no, just the fact that I'd love for Liam to hit us with something unexpected, yet instantly recognizable as Prodigy sound
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Very cool moment from the Prodigy show at OVO honoring Keith (also pretty George and Mildred inspired imo). During Firestarter, a larger than life statue is shooting laser beams out of its eyes "burning" a silhouette of Keith onto a canvas

"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Going to see them in less than 2 weeks! 
Can't believe it tbh.

BTW, any poles going to see them in Poznań too? 
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: Csar on Nov 23, 2023, 23:39
Very cool moment from the Prodigy show at OVO honoring Keith (also pretty George and Mildred inspired imo). During Firestarter, a larger than life statue is shooting laser beams out of its eyes "burning" a silhouette of Keith onto a canvas

I found it more inspired by Gort from The Day The Earth Stood Still.

The remake:

Liam has a thing for old sci fi movies. Also seen with their artwork and merch.

I'm going tonight at Ally Pally! can't wait, not seen them before
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Jaguar Skills mixes The Prodigy in The Sword Fight Mixtape
(BBC 6 Music Cloudbusting 2024/01/26)

01 Ennio Moricone - The Ecstasy Of Gold
02 We Live Forever
03 We Live Forever [Teddy Killerz Remix]
04 Take Me To The Hospital [Chase & Status Remix]
05 Take Me To The Hospital
06 Invaders Must Die
07 Everybody In The Place