Superflash - Numéro Un, Number One

Brief Moments in your lives!!! Also, show us your Pets Thread!!!

Started by Bosco, Feb 13, 2021, 11:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusk run. Tried to capture the creeping fog, but this was the best I could do.

@Enjoyed, Stu's a cutiepie!
@Bosco: Beautiful scenery! Good eye, ma friend.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Thanks Csar. Pacific Northwest and New England get a lot of attention this time of the year (Autumn), but Midwest has some awesome scenes when you go look for it. Shout out to Canada, too.

Hoping to make a day trip to Wisconsin to close out the seasonal foliage and some Oktoberfest fare!

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 09, 2021, 18:21

Hoping to make a day trip to Wisconsin to close out the seasonal foliage and some Oktoberfest fare!

no idea, no idea

Quote from: Bosco on Oct 09, 2021, 07:38

Dusk run. Tried to capture the creeping fog, but this was the best I could do.

Holy shit amigo this is a great shot. Nice work.

Quote from: ThePumisher on Oct 10, 2021, 10:35

My cousin's band opened for Static-X in Milwaukee Wisconsin, ironically.

R.I.P. Wayne, and your epic haircut

There's a forest fire happening on a hill right next to our town.
Don't worry, no populated area is threatened and I don't think it has spread in the past hours. The terrain there is also completely inaccessible from the ground, so firefighters could only fight it with helicopters. I think they're currently just letting it burn out on it's own.

Update: The fire is definitely spreading and local firefighters say that it will continue to burn for days, the however the good news is that it currently doesn't look like it will pose a threat to any populated areas.
Last Edit: Oct 26, 2021, 07:12 by Stefan

Also I walked up a hill last night where there's a good view of the affected area:

Last Edit: Oct 26, 2021, 16:30 by Stefan

Wow, that looks bad. And it's probably caused by irresponsible people..
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Wildfire Update: There was a massive firefighter operation all over last week, with 8 helicopters (3 flown in from abroad), last weekend even two planes from Italy (Austria doesn't have firefighter planes) and around 250 firefighter on the ground, cutting firebreaks and taking care of the fire wherever accessible. Sometimes during last week, there wasn't even smoke visible, and the sudddenly the forest ground would light up in a spot somewhere. I learend that if it's dry, the fire can even spread underground, in tree root channels. The affected area has been inching closer to some farmhouses, but thanks to the massive efforts no house was in danger.
A little bit of rainfall in the past few days also brought relief, though firefighters will continue to scan for hot spots/embers at least for two weeks or so.

Quote from: Stefan on Nov 05, 2021, 21:26

Wildfire Update: There was a massive firefighter operation all over last week, with 8 helicopters (3 flown in from abroad), last weekend even two planes from Italy (Austria doesn't have firefighter planes) and around 250 firefighter on the ground, cutting firebreaks and taking care of the fire wherever accessible. Sometimes during last week, there wasn't even smoke visible, and the sudddenly the forest ground would light up in a spot somewhere. I learend that if it's dry, the fire can even spread underground, in tree root channels. The affected area has been inching closer to some farmhouses, but thanks to the massive efforts no house was in danger.
A little bit of rainfall in the past few days also brought relief, though firefighters will continue to scan for hot spots/embers at least for two weeks or so.

Dang, is that right? That's kinda terrifying if true. I thought fires would have a difficult time burning underground, specifically the tree roots,  because the lack of oxygen flow.

I also have a hard time imaging that, but that's what I heard. I assume there are enogh cavities left between the network of roots that fire finds a way. There's also a lot of rocky ground where the fire burnt. So maybe the roos create fissures while growing, and that's where there's oxygen?

Btw. today around noon the firefighters declared the wildfire to be over, however the area will be closely monitored with thermal cameras.

Quote from: Bosco on Nov 06, 2021, 18:57

Dang, is that right? That's kinda terrifying if true. I thought fires would have a difficult time burning underground, specifically the tree roots,  because the lack of oxygen flow.
Two weeks ago I've talked to my sister, who is a firefighter and took part in the huge operation, that the process of fire spreading underground is actually much simpler: it isn't fire that spreads but simply heat, i.e. thermal energy. Which can be conducted underground, even without any oxygen, and wherever it meets the right conditions (flammable materials and oxygen) a fire lights up.

a taste of Illinois September prairie sunset

Edit: click youtube link for boring video, cant seem to embed correctly ::)
Last Edit: Sep 10, 2022, 09:19 by Bosco

^ a great place to:

A) teach a photography class
B) make out with boy/girl friend on picnic blanket
C) set a stage up for a Chems concert
D) all of the above

Is this your backyard? That's a nice shot! It needs some Moby background music to be perfect.

Id trade that scene in exchange for our 98 degree heat with scattered showers ( it's been like that the whole day)
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I don't know what happened to my previous pic of Dewey, but here he is the first day I got him as a kitten, and one from a few days ago.

Last Edit: Sep 18, 2022, 04:04 by MadPooter

Quote from: MadPooter on Sep 11, 2022, 00:19

I don't know what happened to my previous pic of Dewey, but here he is the first day I got him as a kitten, and one from a few days ago.

I can only see one of those pictures