Did You Know That We Can Go to Japan?

Playlist to introduce The Chemical Brothers

Started by nekoland, Feb 24, 2021, 14:06

Previous topic - Next topic
Hello everybody! I hope you all are okay! The other day, one friend of mine ask me to make a playlist to "introduce" him to the world of The Chemical Brothers... and I thought... do I make a list of the most popular songs or hits? because I thought it would be good to start with more "light" songs... and then start with the essence of Chems, such as TPPR.
This is the playlist I made:

Go To Keep On
Go
EML Ritual
Wide Open
Swoon
Another World
Do it Again
Das Spiegel
Galvanize
The Boxer
Believe
Surface To Air
Star Guitar
Hoops
Out Of Control
Let Forever Be
HBHG
BRB
Where Do I begin
One Too MAny Mornings
The Golden Path

I did not want to go easy and say "listen to Brotherhood and Singles", what songs would you add/remove from the list?

In this day of age with streaming music plentiful and convenient, I think it's better for curious listeners to venture on their own path and determine what they like without any influence. But to entertain the point of this thread and pretend like I'm going back 20 years where mixtapes meant more, here is my lists:

Girl

Swoon
Let Forever Be
Another World
Hold Tight London
The Golden Path
Galvanize
Block Rockin Beats
Go
Out of Control
Hey Boy Hey Girl
Come With Us
Star Guitar

Boy

Hey Boy Hey Girl
Galvanize
Music:Response
Chemical Beats
Loops of Fury
Block Rockin Beats
Setting Sun
Don't Think
Elektrobank
Hoops
No Geography
Star Guitar

I think it's worth noting that you should probably keep a compilation to no more than an hour. Too much can be cumbersome and you could exhaust their curiosity.

Also, staying with "the hits" is important. I say that because the listener has more than likely caught these tracks in passing or eventually will, and can now have a reference point (Them: "HEY! I know that song!") that may further spark their curiosity.

Any who, my theme for introducing Girls to Chems would be a more delicate approach and it eventually moves to a more aggressive and exciting sound. For guys. I jump right into the aggressive side of things and sustain it. 

'Star Guitar' is the reward if they make it all the way through mixtape/playlist.

Ohh thank you very much Bosco! My friend is in his 40s and he is "old school" in this cases. I loved the idea of the two playlists!

I'm with Bosco's two lists except for the girls list i would swap Come With Us with Hannas Theme (Vocal Version)
no idea, no idea

Thanks Pumisher! I completely forgot about Hanna's OST.

Quote from: Bosco on Feb 24, 2021, 20:07

'Star Guitar' is the reward if they make it all the way through mixtape/playlist.

Love this.

I'd also add that, depending on the person and their connection to you, I would probably include a few more personal favourites, over the more widely considered hits. Telling the story of my own discovery of the band could be a fun and meaningful path for a close friend or partner, for example.

Basically any excuse to get Galaxy Bounce (Tomb Raider Version) in there...
dancesoitallkeepsspinning