So We Rollin' With the Chemicals and We Got the New Sound

Record Store Day 2021

Started by 𝒥𝑅𝒮𝒵, Apr 07, 2021, 17:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Now that the TDTYF single is out, which side do you prefer?

Side A: The Darkness That You Fear  
2 (13.3%)
Side B: Work Energy Principle
5 (33.3%)
They're both great tracks in their own way
7 (46.7%)
Neither
1 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

And was able to buy Warpaint with pickup from one of the other local shops.  RSD 100% success. 

So we (still) have 41 on sale on Discogs, numerous fanboys standing in line to obtain a copy, including toxic and me at 6:30 am, that record store had a dozen in stock, multiple no deals because no stock and it should be limited to 1500 copies? I don't believe it unless the record is actually numbered.

Oh yeah: WEP is SICK. Real EBW vibe

Quote from: Joslyn on Jun 13, 2021, 10:10

So we (still) have 41 on sale on Discogs, numerous fanboys standing in line to obtain a copy, including toxic and me at 6:30 am, that record store had a dozen in stock, multiple no deals because no stock and it should be limited to 1500 copies? I don't believe it unless the record is actually numbered.

I don't have concerns of this release being limited. But if you're criticizing that this was poorly distributed? I agree.

I try to keep in mind, the concept of RSD isn't perfect. Post RSD market shows that there's a healthy amount of copies available on the secondary market. Some are sellers who are trying to squeeze a few dollars, and quite a few who just simply got way too many copies and are priced to sell ASAP.

Quote from: Joslyn on Jun 13, 2021, 10:10

unless the record is actually numbered
Hmm, good point - why isn't it numbered? Reel was limited to 10.000 copys and is numbered.

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 13, 2021, 17:51

But if you're criticizing that this was poorly distributed?
Wondering why couple of copys are so much cheaper on discogs compared to what i paid at the record store. The cheapest i found there is less than 10£, i paid more than double the price.
Last Edit: Jun 14, 2021, 08:33 by ThePumisher
no idea, no idea

^It would be fun to pick the brain of a RSD representative and or a record store dealer that participates in the program.

Loving the record. Really digging WEP! Would love to jump in a time machine and get this on a proper CD release. Bring back the art of the CD single!

To state the obvious, TDTYF and WEP are miles (or kilometers, to metric-ize the expression) apart in style. In my opinion, I think HAAi Remix is more worthy of side B to this release.

I also would add that I think WEP is a stinker. Appreciate the attempt and sharing another B-side, but this one definitely not one for me to love.

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 14, 2021, 18:51

To state the obvious, TDTYF and WEP are miles (or kilometers, to metric-ize the expression) apart in style. In my opinion, I think HAAi Remix is more worthy of side B to this release.

I also would add that I think WEP is a stinker. Appreciate the attempt and sharing another B-side, but this one definitely not one for me to love.

Yeah, it's an okay b-side. It just never peaks. Feels like it is building up to something that never happens. It just stays the same throughout.

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 14, 2021, 18:51

What an extremely ungenerous comment this is (as someone once said to me!).
Although I would of course defend your right to express it.

I see someone has set up the A-side v B-side poll on the TDTYF thread, but so far no one has voted. They certainly are very dfferent tracks, so it is admittedly a bit like comparing apples and oranges.
I wonder if it would make more sense to put the poll on this thread considering it's the RSD release that contains both tracks rather than the original digital release.

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 14, 2021, 15:06

^It would be fun to pick the brain of a RSD representative and or a record store dealer that participates in the program.
I know that the shops can't return RSD stock. So I guess that means they have to think carefully about what to get in. But how much mark-up they make, I don't know.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Work Energy Principle abbreviated as WEP

And it is reminiscent of an EBW

So it is a wep fo sho

Work Energy Principle is unhinged and fun
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find both tracks to be just okay. I don't hate them, but I'm also not jumping out of my seat over them. TDTYF is definitely Apple Air Pods commercial material. WEP needs to build up to something glorious or go the opposite route and have the psychedelic atmosphere amped up. But I've had tracks where as a single I wasn't a big fan of, but enjoyed it more within an album context.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jun 14, 2021, 20:10

What an extremely ungenerous comment this is (as someone once said to me!).
Although I would of course defend your right to express it.

LOL, well I appreciate you protecting my freedom to opinion even though we are on opposing sides on this one.

If Uncle Eddy wants to rain down on me like he did you, it's best he knows that I have purchased multiple copies of TDTYF. That's gotta equate to a couple e-cig cartridges, so vapes on me, Ed!

Furthermore, I absolutely love TDTYF. That song is a little piece of heaven for me. I would gush further, but as we see there is a lot of opposing opinions on the forum and you guys don't want to hear that shit. Plus, our forum Mommy (Whirlygirl) hasn't been present for some time to embrace my feelings and make me feel special for sharing such things. So I'm gonna be a big boy and suppress my sentiments.

Just found 9 copies for 17 dollars on discogs. Record stores still putting out their extra unsold copies online after a few days.

I have around 6 record stores near me within a 10 mile radius . Out of all of them, 2 only participated in RSD. The reason IMO why I think those record stores didn't do RSD is maybe because they're much smaller record stores (and depend on selling only used records as their main life support.) and because maybe they don't do enough business to buy commercially-pushed RSD releases and sell them without making a dime off them.

WEP! Like Joslyn said earlier, Its EBW-ish! I kind of thought the ending was gonna segue into another track....or was it suppose to?

So Im playing it in my living room and I close my eyes and imagine people around me getting their drinks and dance on. I turn on my ceiling fan (cause its damn hot today) and picture seeing T and E just casually rocking CDJ's and seeing the crowd just enjoying themselves. Its laidback but sort of a warm up track like I said before.

Its on Vimeo btw

This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

For me, the Winner is "The Darkness...", Such a uplifting and positive packed anti-depressive track ❤️

But daaamn, I really like the Work Energy Principle, it has something, that reminds me of We Are The Night era tracks
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

WEP sounds like parts of No Need

I love both tracks. And I totally agree on the EBW vibe of WEP

Work Energy principle is pretty cool. Do you guys anticipate this will remain vinyl only or you think it will be released digitally?

I don't think this was covered but maybe I missed it.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I don't anticipate it going any further than RSD Vinyl release. I think it's no more than an exclusive B-side. And while it could be argued that it has potential to be an EBW, I think it would be announced as such already, if that was the plan.

Will it be released digitally? I think this is their way of making the limited RSD release special, so no.

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 29, 2021, 17:56

I don't anticipate it going any further than RSD Vinyl release. I think it's no more than an exclusive B-side. And while it could be argued that it has potential to be an EBW, I think it would be announced as such already, if that was the plan.

Will it be released digitally? I think this is their way of making the limited RSD release special, so no.

Basically taking the way of the still unreleased digitally Surrender to love Mix ;)
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 29, 2021, 17:56

I think it will be on the Japan edition of the new album.