It's the Lifestyle We're Living

Wide Open

Started by Enjoyed, Aug 17, 2015, 10:14

Previous topic - Next topic
What's really weird is lots of the comments underneath the vid. Has the internet really turned into a sole place for (unimaginative) attention whores? Attention whores that all seem to have "trypophobia"? Makes me sick to see that people just don't care about content anymore rather than their femto-seconds of internet"fame".
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Fort the german ones, dom&nic are superfriendly...

no idea, no idea

Inspired by this one?
[1:30]

Just get yourself high.

Huh, wow! Looks like they were shot in the exact same location.

RE: the music video. I'm really impressed by the amount of work that went into the CGI and choreography, everything is so seamless and perfectly timed. And that mirror scene was brilliant - she's her own camera, this is her looking at how she feels on the inside! Honestly I don't think it's a perfect match for the song, it's a bit creepy and straightforward while the song is more tender and storytelling. But it's a good bit of art nonetheless! The Chems cameo is great too - I love that it's a literally a screenie of the Chem's first cameo in a Dom and Nic video.
Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016, 07:40 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

You did well to find that video THG, considering it's unlisted on Youtube.
I think that space gets used for quite a few 'arty' things, as it's part of Whitechapel Studios in east London.
Whitechapel Studio 2
(oh and the 'Go' sign is in the pictures so maybe that was just a coincidence)
Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016, 12:44 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

A little inside on the making-of process by Dom&Nick
The enthralling promo uses a range of highly technical visual effects techniques, which are perfectly paired with the organic flow and movement of professional dancer Sonoya Mizuno; to produce a captivating story that perfectly entwines with the iconic Chemical Brothers sound, featuring Beck.

Inspired by procedural cellular structures, with an aim to mix the mechanical and organic, we see the protagonist gradually turn into a fully 3D printed structure as she dances around the studio.

The Mill's VFX team worked closely with Dom&Nic to achieve this effect by extensively and meticulously tracking the dancer's movements in order to replace her limbs and eventually her whole torso, with a lattice of 3D mesh.

Photogrammetry scanning was used to create a fully CG model of the dancer's body including photo real textures. CG clothing was also built in Marvellous Designer and then rendered in Arnold.

Head of 3D David Fleet comments, "The sheer complexity of this project is what made it unique. The amount of camera and body tracking alone was a huge challenge, as well as consistently seamlessly lighting one shot as long as this.

We created clean plates for seven thousand frames entailing a huge amount of traditional hand painted comp work. To lighten the load, the team created a bespoke tool specifically for this project, which automatically scanned our footage for clean parts of the set, projecting them onto the areas that the dancer occupied.

We scanned the entire set using Lidar technology to give us an accurate 3D model of the entire environment, enabling us to track the camera as closely as possible."

The Mill's ECD Neil Davies comments, "The opportunity to work with Dom & Nic, The Chemical Brothers, Beck, Sonoya Mizuno and Wayne McGregor was a very exciting proposition.

Not only was this a break-through project for The Mill; one of extreme technical complexity and precision, but it's simply a real piece of art.

As the viewer, you are lost in the dancer's movement as the mechanical and physical blend into one. The final film is simple yet complex, and utterly mesmerising."

http://www.themill.com/portfolio/2699/wide-open
Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016, 23:44 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

A really long piece about making the video HERE.  At times dry, at times interesting.
Alas no "making-of" video.

EDIT: THIS LINK has been added at the bottom of the article since I posted.
Last Edit: Feb 02, 2016, 18:30 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

(when) Will there be a physical release of 'Wide Open'?

Quote from: Ben_j on Jan 25, 2016, 19:40

We need a making of video ! I'm really curious to see how they did it, how they tracked the body, etc
Try This

https://vimeo.com/154038415
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Wow, thanks! That's awesome and way too short.

Oh wait, no!!! Trypophobia kicks in! Argh, trypophobia disliked this! I guess the video looks great, but trypophobia!!! Damn holes, I can't look at them!!! They should put a trigger warning!!! Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

And btw, at first I thought it said My Chemical Romance!? What the???
— Aurora (The Seed)

Doesn't say any more than has been in the other making of/behind the scenes, but this one made it to the mainstream - London's Evening Standard on Monday - so thought it worth sharing.

It makes me happy that both The Chemical Brothers and Beck are still given respect in this current music climate. To another 20+ years!
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

:'(

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

— Aurora (The Seed)

Słucham THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS od 1995 roku .

* this chemical is good, this chemical is bad *

Congratulations to all who helped Wide Open win the Dan Dad™ Award for Best Effects
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

3D in the scene making of video:

https://vimeo.com/165154125

Making of article:

https://www.fxguide.com/featured/so-just-how-was-that-chemical-brothers-video-made/

and concept design! https://www.patreon.com/posts/4221793

Originally the video was to take place in a jungle or beach - imagine that challenge!

Dom and Nic also won some kind of technical advancement award for the video, I hear..
Last Edit: Jun 12, 2016, 20:33 by WhiteNoise

brilliant, thanks :)
Eight or over.

I CAN'T SEEM TO SHAKE THIS FEELING
I CAN'T SEEM TO PUT IT DOWN,DOWN,DOWN,DOWN...