Who Is This Doin' This Synthetic Type of Alpha Beta Psychedelic Funkin'?

Sometimes I Feel So Deserted video

Started by Ben_j, Aug 17, 2015, 14:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: Skyscraper on Aug 17, 2015, 19:01

Oh she's the one who did that Royal Blood "Figure It  Out "video. Nuff said!
She ? Given his Twitter pic I think he's a dude.
Last Edit: Aug 17, 2015, 20:15 by Ben_j

Shit the bed. This is bloody brilliant.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Any Tom and Ed cameo?
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 17, 2015, 15:13

FAN THEORY: The people in the truck are the "good guys", and the injured machine woman and man are the antagonists.
Quote from: Skyscraper on Aug 17, 2015, 18:02

Don't agree. Van guys look bad to me. But you may be right about them dealing with experimental creatures manufactured by humans. Oily woman has my heart (but she can't have my legs!).
It's funny how most people usually automatically think of good/bad or protagonist/antagonist in a narrative. Sure, a lot of stories work that way, but many of my favourite works of fiction have facetted characters who are "real" people, with good or bad depending on from whose perspective the story is told* (Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones is probably the most popular example).
I think the video plays with this as well, with the woman changing from injured, hunted prey to malicious predator. The Van Guys first look like cold, determined hitman, but once the woman repairs herself fear is written in their eyes.

Damn, this really is a fantastic video.

*There is a book called "The Last Ringbearer", which flips the narrative of Lord of the Rings. It's premise is that Tolkien's LOTR is basically propaganda from the winning side of the ring wars, where the opponents are deliberately depicted as evil lords and violent, mindless monsters. Unfortunately I haven't read it yet, but I've heard it's a great example of basically the same story being told from a completely different perspective. There's definitely a real aspect to it, too, since having an "other side" (and then dehumanizing it) is a necessary precondition for large-scale organized violence such as wars. Sadly it has been successfully employed countless times, and still is, in humanity's history. 
Last Edit: Aug 17, 2015, 22:15 by Stefan

What a weird video! Zombie/apocalyptic, very dark and unsettling. The editing was great (especially that bit with the screeching synth and the girl yelling across the desert.) I'm not sure what to make of it yet. But I know one thing and that is I like this video more than Go!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: Ben_j on Aug 17, 2015, 19:58

She ? Given his Twitter pic I think he's a dude.
Oh Ninian is a dude's name? My bad!

Quote from: Stefan on Aug 17, 2015, 22:04

... with good or bad depending on from whose perspective the story is told...
I think the video plays with this as well, with the woman changing from injured, hunted prey to malicious predator. The Van Guys first look like cold, determined hitman, but once the woman repairs herself fear is written in their eyes.

Fair point. And thinking about the "Figure It Out" video which I embedded in an earlier post, that's kind of what that is about. The woman at first appears to be a blood soaked psycho scaring the crap out of people in a mall, but then it turns out she was the victim of a kidnap and is trying to escape. I may have to watch some more of Mr (!) Ninian Doff's videos to see if it's a recurring theme.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

I hate to be the asshole here, but come on. Oil woman is doused in oil. A stroke of a match ends this.

Most unexpected, indeed.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Instantly got a Mad Max vibe about it except this one's in a blue filter not a yellow like the movie.  The hyper quick movements, apocalyptic recycling scraps to survive, oil etc and in the desert.

As soon as I saw it I thought oh.. Dom and Nic must've done this one ha. but not so. Nice to see they've given a new guy a go.

I like it and yes better than Go. I think Go just had a lot of expectation because it was the introduction to them back since last album etc. and the fact that this one came out of the blue with a shock in a good way is a good thing.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Go had a lot of expectation because it was friggin Gondry doing the music video.
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 18, 2015, 15:43

Go had a lot of expectation because it was friggin Gondry doing the music video.
and the gap between reality and expectation was too high. I think in psychology that gap is called disappointment.

i really really really really really really like this

doesn't make the song any better but this video is both thumps up

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Aug 17, 2015, 21:42

Any Tom and Ed cameo?
Ha! I wanted to ask the same as i don't spot them
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Aug 18, 2015, 17:08

i really really really really really really like this
SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

^now has Carly Rae Jepsen stuck in head for rest of week^
Never for money, always for love.

And sometimes i feel so deserted, but hold on 'cause something fucking creepy is on the way..
I really like the video. Sooo dark energy.. but.. they should have made a video for some another track i think.
Like an a full atmospheric version of EML Ritual with history.
Last Edit: Aug 18, 2015, 20:55 by Explud
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 18, 2015, 19:53

Thank you for making me look that shit up! REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY thank YOU! REALLY!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Explud on Aug 18, 2015, 20:48

they should have made a video for some another track i think.
Like an full atmospheric version of EML Ritual with history.

There's plenty of time.

Quote from: Csar on Aug 18, 2015, 20:52

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Aug 18, 2015, 19:53

Thank you for making me look that shit up! REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY thank YOU! REALLY!

You're both talking as if it isn't the best pop song in the last 10 years...