Come With Us

2021 - TRNSMT Festival @ Glasgow, UK

Started by Zesty, Sep 11, 2021, 19:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Some ACTUALLY GOOD 30 second highlights (not just HBHG, the robots and Galvanize) :music

Also i found a very cool edited video of HBHG

Now this video got me thinking about the new visuals, i like the purple breakdancers, but the talking head just seems a little bit out of place, maybe they should go back with the green one with glasses
Insomnia.

OOC/DIA is outstanding. I hope they will keep it for next year show.
The moment with DIA silhouettes and warped up DIA synthline gave me chills.
The whole segment actually.
I loved 2007/2008 Out of Control live (with Primal Scream) so I'm glad they brought it back.
OOC is my favorite track, so I take any variation of it. I feel that it could just go on and on and on...
Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Quote from: Zesty on Sep 14, 2021, 02:59

Also i found a very cool edited video of HBHG
Now this video got me thinking about the new visuals, i like the purple breakdancers, but the talking head just seems a little bit out of place, maybe they should go back with the green one with glasses
I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I hate the head, it reminds me of a cheap 90s CGI model, I'm not so much a fan of the purple dancers too, they literally fall like ragdolls in Halo reach (Flipping and waving their arms and legs)
I wouldn't mind if they go back to the drawing board and reanimate the head, or add something additional to the mix, like they did with the tables and sofas.
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Quote from: Conn6orsuper117 on Sep 14, 2021, 06:00

I'm so glad I'm not the only one, I hate the head, it reminds me of a cheap 90s CGI model, I'm not so much a fan of the purple dancers too, they literally fall like ragdolls in Halo reach (Flipping and waving their arms and legs)
I wouldn't mind if they go back to the drawing board and reanimate the head, or add something additional to the mix, like they did with the tables and sofas.

I'm actually surprised HBHG is the only really new visual. I'd count Out Of Control but it's still made of Dissolve/Music: Response b-roll (and some of DIA which is quite creative mixing all the silhouettes together)

I imagine if they're able to film more new visuals for other songs something like HBHG would probably feel more in place, but even then...it does feel very out there, despite feeling familiar if that makes sense
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: hstn on Sep 14, 2021, 06:13

I'm actually surprised HBHG is the only really new visual. I'd count Out Of Control but it's still made of Dissolve/Music: Response b-roll (and some of DIA which is quite creative mixing all the silhouettes together)
I also noticed a bit of HBHG from 2007/8 towards the end too, with the return of the green spirals. though they've been recycled already for Chembeats its kinda cool seeing it outline the Chaplin B-Rolls.

on a positive note, I got pretty much everything to assemble a pseudo concert audio, all we're missing is the Acid Children transition between GTKO & DIA and full TDTYF (though I think there may be enough 30 sceond clips out there for a TDTYF compilation).
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Well, that was a fine evening!  First time seeing them at a Festival, believe it or not - always seen them in indoor venues, with the exception of the Trafalgar Square gig many moons ago.  Indoors the sound always seems more controlled, but here they just seemed to ramp up the sound that little bit more as the night went on. Incredible.

Quote from: MadPooter on Sep 14, 2021, 00:39

Watching the clips from this show brought some shivers to my spine. Fuck me.

Brought shivers to mine just being there.  Thought it was a great set. Loved the longer HBHG, set it up nicely.  Surprised Go wasn't as long as the last tour.  OOC/DIA, UTI/DYOH and the C-H-E-M-I-C-A-L/LH/STTS/BRB finale were epic, but then again consistently epic throughout.

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Sep 14, 2021, 01:02

Heard ONLY 8 miles away?  Pssst.  Disgraceful that their cutting corners and going so weak sauce on their sound.

I live about 6 miles away as the crow flies.  Heard Biffy on Thursday, Liam on Saturday - fairly normal on a calm day.  Then heard them soundchecking on Sunday morning, a different level. I had a text from my wife not long after they'd taken the stage - "I assume that's the Chems on now then..."

Quote from: JRSZ on Sep 14, 2021, 01:11

I'm still a bit upset, that no-one records The Darkness...

I've got a short clip - deliberately didn't record anything else. I'll try to post.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 13, 2021, 20:26

Scottish people sing "Here we fucking go"...pretty much anywhere!
As a Glasgow/Scottish gig-goer, it gets very tiresome but can't fault the enthusiasm!  If you want to see something unexpected... have a search for "national treasure" Lorraine Kelly introducing KSI earlier in the weekend with the same chant.

Anyway, it's great being back at gigs, and that this was one of the first was perfect timing!

Just one question...

WHERE'S THE PRIVATE PSYCHEDELIC REEL FINALE!?

My fav track  :-[
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: JRSZ on Sep 14, 2021, 11:03

Just one question...

WHERE'S THE PRIVATE PSYCHEDELIC REEL FINALE!?

My fav track  :-[
Usually reserved for CB only shows - not the festivals with shorter set times, unfortunately...

"""Full""" recording of TDTYF!!!!!

:music :music :music
We only need to see how the song ends but (hopefully) there are some 30 second clips of it
Insomnia.

Quote from: Zesty on Sep 14, 2021, 02:59

i like the purple breakdancers, but the talking head just seems a little bit out of place, maybe they should go back with the green one with glasses

Yeah, something about both this and the updated "Go" visuals remind me a little too much of, idk, Blue Man Group - and like, I get that the line between "experimental theater which will still get its point crowd-pleasingly across when played on an LED screen at a massive festival" and "Vegas sideshow" is a pretty thin one, but usually the Chems fall on the right side of it and I'm not sure what it is about the set-opener slot that makes Smith+Lyall jump straight to "mauve wireframes that do things we can translate into a spotlight shining on the audience" as of late.
(Plus "Hey Boy Hey Girl" as an opener has become such a stopgap/default move over the years; their sets are pretty much always more interesting when they find a place to drop the inevitable Here We Go Song somewhere in the middle, with a track that more specifically evokes their current era - or at least the most recent time a bunch of non-diehards paid attention to them - at the start, and it feels to me like the choice they make when they aren't confident the crowd will be onboard without some big boshy reminder of the period when the maximum number of eyes were on them. Which I guess, admittedly, as borne out by the social-media evidence, was 100% true of this now-concluded 2021 shaky-COVID-test-case festival run. Even with the above complaint in mind this was still a variant of what I would still consider their best pre-encore setlist ever, "The Darkness That You Fear" is a great track with probably the only non-Smith+Lyall music video that's ever felt of a piece with their work, and "Out of Control/Do It Again" might be the cleverest solve they've ever devised for boosting the Songs People Expect To Hear:Interesting Setlist quotient, so here's hoping for the sake of both the world and this board that festival crowds are in a better place this time come 2022.)
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Quote from: Zesty on Sep 15, 2021, 03:14

We only need to see how the song ends but (hopefully) there are some 30 second clips of it
Really cool. The only thing missing is the epic build up/ break down at the end of the 6 minute (album) version. Since this rendition is too short anyway, they should add that back into the live performance.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: graysquire on Sep 14, 2021, 09:43

I've got a short clip - deliberately didn't record anything else. I'll try to post.

This You, Graysquire?

No - can't take the credit for this! I only had a 60 second or so clip.

2:00, They triggered the sample in the wrong section of the track, as it should appear just before the bridge, but I really love it! <3
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Bring back Galvanize as the opener
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: androidgeoff on Oct 03, 2021, 22:16

No, bring back Dust up beats/Loops/Prescription Beats as an opener  ;)
Insomnia.

Quote from: Zesty on Oct 04, 2021, 02:25

No, bring back Dust up beats/Loops/Prescription Beats as an opener  ;)

Yes, we need more big beats in the set besides a little moment towards the end.

Quote from: androidgeoff on Oct 03, 2021, 22:16

Quote from: neorev on Oct 04, 2021, 08:00

Yes, we need more big beats in the set besides a little moment towards the end.

Why not just make Eve Of Destruction the opener (with a taste of Loops Of Fury)
Last Edit: Oct 04, 2021, 11:08 by hstn
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...