Dig Your Own Hole

setting sun

Started by shakermaker, Jan 28, 2024, 20:16

Previous topic - Next topic
I couldn't find much about the song on the board (perhaps it was all discussed on this fabled 'old board' I hear of) so I thought I'd start a thread to collect information on one of my favorite songs.

in fact my first purchase of a chemical brothers work was the cassette single in, it must have been 1996? I still have it buried away somewhere.

I get giddy when I hear Noel's vocals layered into their live sets, and am so glad it survives in some form.

what inspired me to look for a thread actually was that I was reminded of this and gave it another listen today.

around 10 years ago some early Oasis demos surfaced. TBH I am not sure of the lineage and don't know if the authenticity has been verified, I was not paying attention at the time, I only stumbled upon them on youtube many years later.

anyway, one of the songs it included is 'Coming On Strong', which never became an official Oasis song, but did lead to Setting Sun. it's fascinating to hear it in the form of a regular (albeit slightly bland) Oasis song with Liam on vocals, extra verses to boot.

you may all have heard it before, but in case anyone around here has not, I figured worth sharing.

Without a doubt one of my favorite Chemical Brother's track.

On a personal note, I'll share that I do have fond memories of taking my 90's Magnavox mini boombox CD Player (w/Dynamic Bass Boost!) to the upmost limits. Setting Sun, would frequently soundtrack multiplayer scrums of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark 64 that took place at my house. Miss those days... :'(
Last Edit: Jan 29, 2024, 07:33 by Bosco

This one's from the Singles 93-03 DVD

no idea, no idea

I remember hearing this for the very first time in October '96 on Australia's Top 40 countdown on a Saturday evening and blowing my mind apart. 
The next day I went to our local K-Mart, purchased the CD single for $4.99 and I still have it to this day. 
I cannot tell you how many times I played it on my mini CD boombox! 
Memories 

Oh and i got this on my hardrive, no idea from where i got this or if it really is Oasis or one of the Gallaghers

no idea, no idea

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 29, 2024, 07:07
Setting Sun, would frequently soundtrack multiplayer scrums of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark 64 that took place at my house. Miss those days... :'(

dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 29, 2024, 23:00
Oh and i got this on my hardrive, no idea from where i got this or if it really is Oasis or one of the Gallaghers
I believe this is legit, circa 1998. the guitar part is an acoustic rendition of the Oasis song Fade In Out, with Noel singing the Setting Sun lyrics. there's a longer version featuring both songs' lyrics.

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jan 29, 2024, 14:29
This one's from the Singles 93-03 DVD

this is great! I hadn't seen it.

funny thing is, he's told other stories about it. some of the details don't exactly line up. never know what to believe with that guy. cocky bastard.

I knew them from (notorious London club night) the Sunday Social. I remember being at the bar with them and said, "I'll do a fucking tune with you". City had played Wycombe on a Friday night away, we'd lost one-nil, and I went from Wycombe to the studio. I did it in about 20 minutes. I even left the taxi waiting outside. And then the next I knew it had knocked (Deep Blue Something's) Breakfast At Tiffany's off number 1. That felt like a proper triumph. The 90's! What a decade! You had an idea, you did it, you moved on to something else.

https://archive.org/details/mojo-07.21/page/31/mode/1up?view=theater

Quote from: shakermaker on Jan 30, 2024, 05:41
never know what to believe with that guy.

He's god's gift to music  ;D
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Enjoyed on Jan 30, 2024, 02:19

- Complex
- Start with cloaking device cheat activated
- Divvy up as many teams and fill non-human players as "perfect sims"
- Cancel all weapon positions, except slot 6
- Slot 6 = Tranquilizer

What ends up happening is the multiple cloaking devices people start with, get lost (or canceled out), and only one remains through the match. Meanwhile, everyone is in a cloud of fisticuffs and disarming each-other for position over the tranquilizer spawn. It's some hilariously dizzy fun!

Quote from: Enjoyed on Jan 30, 2024, 02:19

This image brings a wave of nostalgia and fear all in the same emotion. I'm back in my best friends rural basement at 2am on Friday night when it's -30 outside. I know the Farsight will snipe me, but not when...and I always get lost in this complex map... But for some reason... it's The Test that plays in my mind with this image, not Setting Sun.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Why is the "Instrumental" longer than the "Full Lenght" version (which is overall shorter than the "Album Version"...) ? Freaks me out

Instrumental 7:00
Full Lenght 5:22
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 22, 2024, 22:18
Why is the "Instrumental" longer than the "Full Lenght" version
I would make a joke about Noel running out of lyrics, but I already posted the video with more lyrics.

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 22, 2024, 22:18
which is overall shorter than the "Album Version"
uh..  album is extra-full?

Been waiting for someone to mention Setting Sun in the Beatles thread, but so far no one has.

I watched a 1997 Ewan McGregor film recently called Nightwatch (Thanos is also in it!). There's a scene about 20 minutes into the film where McGregor is sitting by himself in a reception office, he hits play on a cassette and Setting Sun comes blasting out. Something about the contrast between his quiet job and this crashing Big Beat thing really made an impact. I felt the same buzz I had the first time I heard the track back in '97.
Loops Of Fury is also on the soundtrack, although you'll struggle to hear it in the bar scene where there's talking & fighting going on at the time.
Can't say it's a brilliant film but there is at least a twist near the end that stops it from being as straightforward as it first seems.

Speaking of films, I mentioned back in 2020 that I had been bingeing all the Bond films.
During Diamonds Are Forever, I either had an inspirational moment or I demonstrated to myself that my Chems obsession is a bit too much. I'm not saying this is a direct sample but...

Listen to the sirens here at 2:54 to 2:57. The way one siren comes in over the other one. And that second one sounds like exactly the same tone as a certain noise on Setting Sun.
You could use 2:08 in the Setting Sun video below for comparison. Or 3:12 if you like.
Inspiration or nah?

Incidentally WhoSampled lists 7 sample sources for Setting Sun, none of which are the Beatles (or James Bond). I do feel that there are probably still more unidentified samples on the track. I'm a little surprised to see Soul II Soul listed for a drum sample.
IT'S MORNING TIME!