I Wanna Go Where No One Goes

Coachella 2023

Started by Bosco, Jan 10, 2023, 20:10

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Csar on Jan 13, 2023, 22:34
Insane. Is Coachella that magical of a festival?

It's pretty great when it hits right. I've been 5 times, and although I haven't been since 2013, I actually do believe it deserves it lofty admission price. The layout and production put forth by the festival truly feels premium. The lineups whether you like the certain artists or not, always come with some one-of-kind moments...

Like last year, Danny Elfman played a set which included him stripping off his shirt, showing off his largely tatted and surprisingly muscular ginger physique (keep in mind he's in his late 60's). All while playing songs from his very bizarre 'Big Mess' album, Oingo Boingo favorites, and various beloved movie and soundtrack hits. And if that wasn't enough, he had a full band, partial orchestra, choir, guest appearances by Steve Bartek (Oingo Boingo) and Wes Borland. I mean this is the type of shit that happens. It will NOT be repeated (well ok, maybe for weekend 2). If you go and see this, this is the type of thing that stays with you forever. Weird, and priceless:

I think the real tragedy is everything else: food, lodging, transportation costs, merchandise, etc... It's all overpriced. 

The other caveat is the crowd has shifted significantly both in quality and in numbers over the years. When I last went in 2013, I could certainly feel a change in the quality of attendees, and there was a lot of moments during the festival where I felt overwhelmed by the crowd size. I imagine this is an ongoing problem to this day, but this is a subjective issue. It's all dependent of your personal tolerance.

my first year was $70 + $6.50 fees per day. attendance was 30k people. those days are long gone.

friends are encouraging me to join them. this is a difficult decision.

I echo Bosco though. some magical moments are created out there. if you haven't been before and you're interested this year and have the means then absolutely, do it. (the reasons I'm on the fence are largely because I'm old and grumpy now)

Have those of you who are going/planning to go figured out or thought about accommodations yet? Might be broaching this topic at home tomorrow.

Weekend 2 passes still available btw

I got an idea where to stay... 

Would have to be a shared cost up to 6 people (4 comfortably) to make it reasonable. Talking about ~$500 per person with 6 people, $~750 per person with 4. And that's for dates 4/20-4/24.

I have stayed at this location twice before with small groups. But it's nothing exceedingly grand like some of swanky houses out there. It's about as nice as a standard hotel. Perk: it has a lazy river. 

Also, they're really strict at overcrowding units. They check nightly (typically upon your return from festival at guard house), you can not sneak more than 6 people per unit.

It's not too far from festival, but it would require a vehicle for transportation. 

I'm going to have a much better idea of my resources for this journey in the next 2 weeks.

It was my hope that I was going to be able to exclaim that I was going to be able to roll at Coachella like an absolute baller, but yesterday's mediation ended sooner than it should have.

Have I mentioned that I hate insurance companies? Especially when they start fighting with each other.

What I really want to say is--I don't give a f*ck which one of you pays more. And that is why the mediator doesn't put the attorneys in the same room as the adjusters.

Nonetheless, I am intrigued by Bosco's suggestion.

Bosco, I'm good to do that. Would rather have something secure ahead of time.  
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

For what it's worth, in no way can I take the lead on booking any accommodations. I'm still very much undecided about the trip. 

If you guys are interested the location I'm speaking of,  it's the Worldmark of Indio. So yeah, it's a timeshare. But some of the units are available through timeshare owners on online vacation booking sites, which you can rent from.

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 19, 2023, 19:07
I got an idea where to stay...

Would have to be a shared cost up to 6 people (4 comfortably) to make it reasonable. Talking about ~$500 per person with 6 people, $~750 per person with 4. And that's for dates 4/20-4/24.

I have stayed at this location twice before with small groups. But it's nothing exceedingly grand like some of swanky houses out there. It's about as nice as a standard hotel. Perk: it has a lazy river.

Also, they're really strict at overcrowding units. They check nightly (typically upon your return from festival at guard house), you can not sneak more than 6 people per unit.

It's not too far from festival, but it would require a vehicle for transportation.

Unexpectedly, I had a unwanted expense that came up. But I said to myself 'no biggie' so I checked hotels nearby.

Damn, the one I've been going to for the last 5 Coachellas is willing to put the smack down on my wallet. But then again, it's been years since my last Coachella, so price increases/up-hiking due to nearby music festival is a given.

Bosco! I like your idea,! If all goes well,  everyone might benefit from it

Last Edit: Jan 20, 2023, 03:11 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 20, 2023, 02:26
For what it's worth, in no way can I take the lead on booking any accommodations. I'm still very much undecided about the trip.

If you guys are interested the location I'm speaking of,  it's the Worldmark of Indio. So yeah, it's a timeshare. But some of the units are available through timeshare owners on online vacation booking sites, which you can rent from.

went on a whim and checked it out. Dates are blacked out! No dice!

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Jan 21, 2023, 04:21
went on a whim and checked it out. Dates are blacked out! No dice!

Haha, you drove out there and checked it out???! Well, did you like what you saw? Dates are blacked out with the resort because it's all reserved with timeshare owners. A lot of the units can be found for rent on Airbnb and VRBO with timeshare owners looking to make a quick buck. 

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 21, 2023, 05:11
Haha, you drove out there and checked it out???! Well, did you like what you saw?
Lol!  When I got to the gate and rang the bell, no one answered, so I went around the back and scaled a 7 foot fence. As soon as I landed on the other side, I heard dogs barking, then just immediately, a gun went off! I ran my ass back to the gate and hopped over it again. I then made my way to the streets and acted kind of casual like nothing happened, but what do you know, the Indio police roll up on me and made me eat pavement with a Judo takedown.

Luckily, the police got an urgent dispatch to another call while I was on the hood of their car being handcuffed. They let me go because they said they have other fish to fry..

So I never got the chance to 'check' it out Bosco.
Maybe I should've called first!

Ok seriously now!

I  scoured the net and couldn't find any vacancies for Worldmark Indio through Airbnb, timeshare, etc. But I saw plenty of other similar places near the festival that looked promising.

I know it's still early, and not trying to rush whatsoever, but im still down to splitting costs with those who want to share an accomodation. The more the merrier! If anyone has ideas please share.  Looking forward to meeting  all of you fine gentleman...in 91 days.

I

These prices are just as insane as Coachella...
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 21, 2023, 08:02
lol, not trying to make fun! I commend your due diligence.

I

I know Bosco! I should've been more clear when I said 'went on a whim and checked it out'! But your response was well played sir! But then again so was mine. It's all good! 

Reminds me of the unpopular quote from LOTR: 'It was just a bit of fun ! Oh you're probably right as usual' 

I saw your link!  Never seen that one before, and it's a start! 

Reluctantly, I think I'm bowing out on this. We've got a lot going on this summer that's going to stretch budgets, so I'm going to sadly decline. Will be thinking of you lot that weekend.

Quote from: Darkstar on Feb 10, 2023, 20:21
Reluctantly, I think I'm bowing out on this. We've got a lot going on this summer that's going to stretch budgets, so I'm going to sadly decline. Will be thinking of you lot that weekend.

Yeah, this is basically me too. I'm not officially giving up, but I'm not someone to count on with joint accommodations.

I could definitely see myself getting desperate as time rolls on to April. Which then, I just might channel my inner Richard Dreyfuss from Close Encounters and scrape and claw my way to Coachella. If I start making mashed potato sculptures, I'll know for sure.

Driving the trip, for me, wouldn't be out of the question. So starting or joining a caravan, might be a possibility. I'm looking at this as a last hurrah of my youth, so to speak.
Last Edit: Feb 11, 2023, 00:20 by Bosco

Quote from: Darkstar on Feb 10, 2023, 20:21
You will be missed.

I had hoped that everything would have come together for me logistics wise--long story short, I don't have fists full of cash yet.

So what this means is that I end up in the same situation as Bosco--I was certainly thinking about this as a last-hurrah. I figured that I was unlikely to end up going to Choachella ever again beyond this one last opportunity, so I was starting to commit myself.

But the truth is that the total cost is going to be approaching the price of a used car. The tickets to Coachella alone are more than it would cost for me to fly to Seattle and back for the newly-announced show there.

So looks like I'm out as well.

I was absolutely looking forward to the vibes, though. Make no mistake--Coachella is, indeed, a magical experience despite the price.

I wish everyone who goes an extraordinary time.

I have been occasionally teasing myself with the idea of going, also imagining the magic feeling, but with Chems and Underworld having now announced other dates in CA my interest has severely declined. (now if I could get a Bjork orchestral show too...)

Guys, I've been avoiding this thread because it pains me so much that I cannot attend Coachella - there is a first for everything. My first time seeing the Chems was at the first Coachella... and this will be my first time missing the Chems at Coachella. Like some of you, logistically it isn't panning out. For so many reasons. With the exception of enjoying the Chems my husband does not particularly care for Coachella, the investment of time and resources, the scene, the parking lot at the end of the day, yadayada. 🤷🏼�♀️I can't disagree! And as there is a first for everything, I would not wish for a first time experience without my husband there (I am codependent, lol). 

I know the Chems' triumphant return to Coachella will be nothing short of amazing and I cannot wait to read about it here!!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.