Free Yourself

Chems DJ Set. HOME nightclub, London NYE

Started by Justbhoy, Jul 26, 2023, 21:54

Previous topic - Next topic
Can anyone remember them playing Home nightclub NYE? I think it was 99 (the ticket doesn't tell me the date ffs). I still have my ticket, and I'm sure they played Sgt Peppers at the bells. Anyone else there? Any audio?

I also remember it was pissing down in London but we came down from Glasgow so it wasn't much difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please log in to view this attachment.
Last Edit: Jul 27, 2023, 09:00 by Csar

Hi and welcome to the forums, @Justbhoy!

Could it have been this one from 2005, actually (using Leicester Square as key term)?
https://www.nme.com/reviews/reviews-nme-3706-331395

The ticket says "book online" and I can't really imagine this was a thing back in 1999 (but maybe I'm wrong about that..).

Another one I found is this around the time you gave
https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-chemical-brothers-80-1398098

Quote from: NME
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS will headline a massive New Year's Eve party in front of 25,000 people in Sheffield.

The superstar DJs will play a two-hour set at the Don Valley Stadium as part of Gatecrasher's millennium celebrations.
Last Edit: Jul 27, 2023, 09:24 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

It won't be 2005, the club opened in 1999 and only last a year or so. Very strangle club, you we normally interview by the bouncers on entry to make sure you were a discerning clubber and not a tourist! Far too glitzy club for my taste.

Probably  was the millennium NYE. I know Gatecrasher was their main, heavily advertised  set. But I think they played a few secret sets as well including fabric nightclub as well that night. It won't have been NYE 2000 at they were playing The Chainstore I believe ithe venue was called for the Together night that was usually hosted at Turnmills.
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Quote from: Csar on Jul 27, 2023, 09:08
Could it have been this one from 2005, actually (using Leicester Square as key term)?
https://www.nme.com/reviews/reviews-nme-3706-331395

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Jul 27, 2023, 12:56
It won't be 2005, the club opened in 1999 and only last a year or so. Very strangle club, you we normally interview by the bouncers on entry to make sure you were a discerning clubber and not a tourist! Far too glitzy club for my taste.

The NME article may have an upload date of 2005, but I would suggest that's a re-upload. If you read the article it gives the answer:

... the dawning of 2001 sees sounds of a much cooler creed serenading the central London punters.

Indeed, tonight sees the open-minded booking policy that served the club so well in Ibiza this year coming to full fruition, with only the classy presence of The Chemical Brothers to represent the big guns...

So it was NYE 2000 into 2001.

I went to Home after it was Home -i.e when it was renamed The Marquee - I went to a gig there. There were different gigs going on on different floors and they allowed me to freely go up and down between the gigs! Weird.
I remember the club being called a tourist attraction at the time and being compared to the nearby Burger King. I also vaguely remember the Chems saying they had been mislead about what the club would be like, or words to that effect.

It closed, at least in part due to drug dealing. Westminster Council is well known for being strict on... lots of things E.G: what films can be shown in it's cinemas (I remember they wouldn't allow David Cronenberg's Crash to be shown - too depraved. Ironic considering the sex shops in Soho). They also had/have a "live music" licence policy that meant if a pub was playing music on its PA, and anyone started dancing, the pub would have to ask the customers not to dance. You could only dance to music in a pub in Westminster if the pub had a live music licence!

So the people behind Home either needed to offer bigger bribes to the council in order to turn a blind eye to drugs in the club, or they needed to conisder another part of London for their venture!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Title got me very excited for a second!
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 27, 2023, 13:31
The NME article may have an upload date of 2005, but I would suggest that's a re-upload. If you read the article it gives the answer:

I went to Home after it was Home -i.e when it was renamed The Marquee - I went to a gig there. There were different gigs going on on different floors and they allowed me to freely go up and down between the gigs! Weird.
I remember the club being called a tourist attraction at the time and being compared to the nearby Burger King. I also vaguely remember the Chems saying they had been mislead about what the club would be like, or words to that effect.

It closed, at least in part due to drug dealing. Westminster Council is well known for being strict on... lots of things E.G: what films can be shown in it's cinemas (I remember they wouldn't allow David Cronenberg's Crash to be shown - too depraved. Ironic considering the sex shops in Soho). They also had/have a "live music" licence policy that meant if a pub was playing music on its PA, and anyone started dancing, the pub would have to ask the customers not to dance. You could only dance to music in a pub in Westminster if the pub had a live music licence!

So the people behind Home either needed to offer bigger bribes to the council in order to turn a blind eye to drugs in the club, or they needed to conisder another part of London for their venture!
That will deffo be the one then. I was a year out haha. I knew it was around that time as I stayed at my mum's and she passed away in 2001. Well done for finding that article, but by fuck, there is nothing really else about from that gig. Shame.

Yeah, 7 floors. It was the first place I had ever seen unisex toilets too!

Thanks to everyone for doing some more digging too. I really appreciate it. 

Living in Brisbane now, and really hoping they come out here again soon. Last time they were here (in an outdoor Ampitheatre thing that hold about 5k) , they ended on PPR for the first time I'd heard in fuckin years. I got very emotional. 😁

Thanks again everyone ✊

https://web.archive.org/web/20010413215930/http://the-raft.com/news/463.html

Chemical Explosions on New Year Eve with Headstart & Home

See the Chemical Brothers at Together with Dave Clarke, Danny Rampling and more.

The promoters at Turnmills have come together with a whole host of Britain's top blokes on the decks to host a night of the hottest beats around. The event will take place in the delectable surroundings of Club Together in the heart of the East End so if you haven't made plans for the true millennium here's your chance to celebrate! The Chems will also be jetting off to central London for another DJ set at Club Home. Oh what a night...
If you weren't able to make the last humdinger of a show at Fabric,the New Year's Eve get down to 'Together' and party with big names including the fabtabulous Justin Robertson, Tall Paul, Danny Rampling and CJ Macintosh as well as The Chems of course! There will be three rooms of fun so expect the unexpected ravers and dance till you drop.

To get hold of tickets for this spectacular night of sheer entertainment call Ticketmaster on 0870 5344 444 or 0207 344 4444. Alternatively log on to Ticketmaster Online to order on the web. You can also get tickets at Plastic Fantastic, 35 Drury Lane, Convent Garden, London, WC2.

For more information on the night in question, head down to Club Together. For all those who don't know, 'Together' is at The Chain Store, Trinity Buoy Wharf, Orchard Place, London E14.

The Chemical Brothers will be down at Club Home from 11pm – 1am so get your running shoes on if you want to see the Chems twice in one night. Call 0900 10 20 107. Others at this event will include Jacques Lu Cont, Andy Smith from Portishead and Tim Sheridan from the Dope Smugglers. It's boom-banging baby!

My mate who went with me had these hidden away.

Please log in to view this attachment. Please log in to view this attachment. Please log in to view this attachment.
Last Edit: Aug 06, 2023, 21:24 by Csar

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 27, 2023, 13:31

Westminster wanted dance clubs out altogether I think. They are a liability to be fair, although I think its rent prices in central more than anything (and noise complaints)

The only one left in central London is fabric (barely, although its doing well at the moment with a 19+ age policy)
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023