Oh Yeah, Here We Go, C'mon!

Feels Like I Am Dreaming

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Jul 25, 2023, 22:25

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 10, 2023, 07:08
Does anyone have some deeper information about this?

Have you seen the Wolf Alice film On The Road directed by Michael Winterbottom? He also directed 24 Hour Party People which I own on DVD - a comedic re-telling of the story of New Order's famous Hacienda nightclub (Here To Stay by New Order & The Chems was released for this film's soundtrack). Oh and he directed 9 Songs too, which 'came' with a certain reputation.

Anyway, On The Road is a reasonably straightforward "rockumentary" following Wolf Alice on tour.  Winterbottom chose to whack a couple of ficititious characters into the film (a female tour manager and a roadie who gets romantic with her) which was an unusual choice. But mostly we get lots of soundchecks, and live clips and life-on-the-tour-bus kinda stuff.

And you know what Ellie hollers 55 minutes into the film? Nah, me neither but it isn't "and it feels like I am dreaming". She doesn't say/sing that anywhere in the film. Oh well...
There is a LOT of live footage of Wolf Alice on YouTube though. So I guess you could try sifting through all of that. But if you come up with nothing after watching 18 hours of footage, don't blame me!
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I don't know how to describe it but hearing this song live for the first time last year off my tits on a couple of handy pills (one of them an antihistamine for allergies) was very much a psychedelic experience in and of itself.

To say the least, I identified with the song.

And it's so unbelievably good.

I've been hung up on this song for the past couple of days, wanting to talk about it but not really sure where to jump right in. Physically this song makes me break into a light sweat just sitting here listening and not doing much else! There are lots of big feelings here and they're kind of all mixed up. Feelings from hearing this at Portola last September (has it really been almost a year already??) - being transported back to that moment of being immersed in a sea of people losing their minds, dancing with Pooter and Ryno and inchem and the fam and a few hundred new dancing partners in the fog in San Francisco. Then the more intimate experience of hearing this within the album and how carefully and deliberately (at least it feels like that to me) this is woven between The Darkness That You Fear and For That Beautiful Feeling. The gentle courage from The Darkness is put to the test the deeper I fall into rabbit hole of Feels Like I Am Dreaming. It churns and swirls into a sort of waking night terror. There are two guttural sounds (you know which ones I'm talking about) it make me feel like I need to run from whatever it is - its sinister, mega, it's a lot bigger than me, and the only way out of that space is to dance through the fire. The chorus at the end is like morning light through the windows - it's the light that dances across closed eyelids as sun's coming up and as the song drifts into the gentle, percolating lullaby of For That Beautiful Feeling... like I said. Lots of big feelings all kinda mixed up, lol
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

https://youtu.be/U2Ki6En3bCM?si=wm8azp4yL3fjEuml

This clip just returned on yt and comparing it to the version presented on the album I really wish we'll get an unedited, extended mix as the single as my only complain about the album cut is that it simply ends right after that second big drop while this one keeps the rave going for a bit longer.
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Man, where tf did they pull this sample from? Even though it's the one sentence repeated over and over - her voice is really captivating. 

Slowly becoming my favourite on the album. 

Quote from: HavanaVegas on Sep 21, 2023, 19:28
Man, where tf did they pull this sample from?

The album credits list "Vocal Sample: Ellie Rowsell" but we've yet to track down an original recording of her saying that precise sentence. The use of the word sample, and not, "vocals by" obviously suggests it wasn't recorded specifically for the track, though I've also been wondering if it could be sneakily referring to some of the other female vocal samples in the background?

dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: 𝒥𝑅𝒮𝒵 on Sep 18, 2023, 15:56
https://youtu.be/U2Ki6En3bCM?si=wm8azp4yL3fjEuml

my only complain about the album cut is that it simply ends right after that second big drop while this one keeps the rave going for a bit longer
It's criminal to end the track too soon. I was just getting warmed up.

Overall, a massive W for the Chems. A lot of repeat plays keep me sticking around in wonderland.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

This is the standout track on the album for me. Its the most "Chemical Brothers" sounding track too in my opinion.
Yeah it could do with being longer but that's just a sign of how good it is, its 7 minutes long and people complaining its too short ;D
Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

Still get chills every time I hear this one. Definitely my favorite moment of the show in Denver last year when this hit. Fucking madness...

So Wolkenkrabber asked the right questions at the Tom and Ed Q&A in the Guardian:

Can you tell us about Wolf Alice singer Ellie Rowsell's writing credit onFeel Like I Am Dreaming [from the new album]? OffWorld1
Tom: Ellie is an incredible singer and a couple of years ago we did a lot of sessions with her towards writing a song that never got finished. While making this album, we had been DJ-ing and came back to that performance, so we looped the "feel like I'm dreaming" bit and put it in this other song. She gets a writing credit because she came up with the words.
no idea, no idea