Life Is Sweet

No Reason

Started by Joslyn, Feb 17, 2023, 07:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: gfa2001 on Feb 20, 2023, 15:48
It was partially this and partially supply issues. If lots of the RSD exclusives get hit with supply issues they will definitely announce a second date vs just bin off the releases entirely.
so you're right! I didn't recall this but I looked back at last year's announcement it was intended to be one day with what they called "RSD Drops day" for delayed items:
Record Store Day returns to a one-day affair after pivoting to varied RSD Drops dates for 2020 and 2021. There will still be an RSD Drops day this year (on June 18) "for titles that are part of the Record Store Day celebration, but for any number of reasons beyond controlling, can't make it into stores on April 23,"
https://pitchfork.com/news/record-store-day-2022-taylor-swift-david-bowie-nick-cave-and-more/
this year's announcement doesn't seem to define an RSD drops date up front, though the RSD US website still has some references to RSD drops.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Feb 20, 2023, 16:06
But how many of those are the lead single to launch a new album cycle (as with the Chems)?
Maybe it's not?
I'd always have bet that Dreaming will be the first single to be announced, though I wouldn't mind being proved wrong here (Please prove me wrong. Just give us *any* concrete announcement)

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Feb 20, 2023, 16:06
But how many of those are the lead single to launch a new album cycle (as with the Chems)?
None or very few - i agree with what your implying
Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 20, 2023, 16:23
This one is "just" a remix, which is really really nice, literally, but a real complete new Prodigy track would have been nicer. Yes, Liam can do some fantastic remixes (Release 'Yo Delf or 99 Problems anyone?), but if you listen to the already released album-version of Rocket Fuel it seems to make the job for Liam a bit to easy because it already has this Prodigy vibe (or is it co-produced by Liam?).
ah right didn't realise that
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Quote from: shakermaker on Feb 20, 2023, 17:43
so you're right! I didn't recall this but I looked back at last year's announcement it was intended to be one day with what they called "RSD Drops day" for delayed items:this year's announcement doesn't seem to define an RSD drops date up front, though the RSD US website still has some references to RSD drops.
The vinyl issues are still ongoing so i wouldn't be shocked if the drops thing happens again.

Quote from: gfa2001 on Feb 20, 2023, 20:03
The vinyl issues are still ongoing so i wouldn't be shocked if the drops thing happens again.
yeah it's been pretty much the norm for the vinyl industry even since before the pandemic. and RSD only makes the problem worse.

Quote from: shakermaker on Feb 20, 2023, 22:13
yeah it's been pretty much the norm for the vinyl industry even since before the pandemic. and RSD only makes the problem worse.
I think it doesn't help but the thing that really messes up the supply line is when someone like Taylor Swift, Adele etc release an album. Will be multiple weeks or so of vinyl production alone just to make all their vinyls i've heard - causing a pretty big delay

Quote from: gfa2001 on Feb 20, 2023, 23:32
I think it doesn't help but the thing that really messes up the supply line is when someone like Taylor Swift, Adele etc release an album. Will be multiple weeks or so of vinyl production alone just to make all their vinyls i've heard - causing a pretty big delay
that is very true, the large record companies jumping on the vinyl bandwagon squeeze out the independent record companies that have stuck with the format for years.

but the net value of RSD is definitely questionable at this point. it achieved it's job in the early days, and credit to them for that, but at this point it's debatable if it's more helpful or harmful. this is an interesting opinion piece on the topic, from last year: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/feb/17/record-store-day-independent-music-shops-vinyl-shortage

Quote from: shakermaker on Feb 21, 2023, 00:07
that is very true, the large record companies jumping on the vinyl bandwagon squeeze out the independent record companies that have stuck with the format for years.

but the net value of RSD is definitely questionable at this point. it achieved it's job in the early days, and credit to them for that, but at this point it's debatable if it's more helpful or harmful. this is an interesting opinion piece on the topic, from last year: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/feb/17/record-store-day-independent-music-shops-vinyl-shortage
If theres a production shortage RSD doesn't make a difference to that surely - they are still selling vinyls at the end of the day just limited edition ones instead of albums. The special ones all seem to have a big mark up vs albums which are usually cheaper.

The stores wouldn't all do it if it wasn't good for them surely, i guess maybe there is the expectation to. I'll never buy a vinyl anyway, just not interested in physical music i just like the releases!

Quote from: gfa2001 on Feb 21, 2023, 11:05
just not interested in physical music

:o  :o  :o

no idea, no idea

Quote from: gfa2001 on Feb 19, 2023, 09:10
I messaged the UK people and they said they weren't receiving it and told me to message the dutch

the dutch said this:

"Hi,

You are absolutely right; we had a last minute change where it has to be removed, unfortunately...

Thank you for your email and best regards,
Esther"

I've asked when to expect it, due to vinyl production issues recently they seem to often do a second drop a month or two later so maybe it will be in that. I think they want to announce it themselves first
They consumer pdf file has not been updated. It is still on there. https://recordstoreday.nl/pdf/

Quote from: Joslyn on Feb 22, 2023, 12:11
They consumer pdf file has not been updated. It is still on there. https://recordstoreday.nl/pdf/
It's page got removed though and they told me its not releasing - still no reply on when it can be expected

Annie Mac just shared a snippet of her playing No Reason at a Printworks DJ set, along with the text "loved playing the new @thechemicalbrothers last night", if we need any further confirmation that an announcement is around the corner  ;D

Please log in to view this attachment.

I did some internet dumpster diving today and found this site right here: https://www.rockserwis.pl/products/230881

It says that No Reason will be released on April 28th, after RSD. This would line up with the theory that there have been complications with the supply chain or the manufacturing process. Not sure how reliable this information is, but I thought it was worth sharing!

I also found this side as well but there's nothing new on there: https://www.fan.pl/the-chemical-brothers-no-reason/shop/music/lpsp,e94358481
Oo-ee, bit wobbly on the old feet!

I think there will be a music video as well - see line 11 in the PDF I found online

Last Edit: Mar 05, 2023, 19:11 by Csar
Oo-ee, bit wobbly on the old feet!

That's some detective work  :)

Interesting that it's Smith & Lyall (who I'd trust with the job more than pretty much anyone else)! Think it'll just be a repeat of the live visuals - which I wouldn't mind, since that neat solarization effect doesn't come through great in audience recordings - or something else?
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Quote from: instantreigen on Mar 05, 2023, 18:11
I think there will be a music video as well - see line 11 in the PDF I found online

Hmmm. September 2022. Maybe just the live visuals?

edit: Black Dog Films also did the Eve Of Destruction visuals/video
no idea, no idea

Producing such a video that far ahead would actually make sense if they indeed were going to release is this spring. I mean, one can dream, can't one?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 05, 2023, 20:48
Hmmm. September 2022. Maybe just the live visuals?

edit: Black Dog Films also did the Eve Of Destruction visuals/video
They were playing it live with visuals long before September 2022 though

RE NRTL - if they choose to launch with the bbc 1 hottest record thing (which links into Annie Mac as she used to host it), the next show of that without an artist already announced is next Monday. Lots of UK artists release their singles using this and its the same station that does the Essential Mix etc. I hope we get a new essential mix speaking of!!

Quote from: gfa2001 on Mar 06, 2023, 19:11
They were playing it live with visuals long before September 2022 though
Yes, but sometimes you work with a contract that says "don't talk about the product until it is released". Also i don't think you produce a music video half a year before it's release. And even if you filmed everything, you usualy don't need 5-6 months in post production - so what could be the point in waiting so long for a release? That's why i thought it could have been the filming for the visuals.
no idea, no idea