Further

No Reason

Started by Joslyn, Feb 17, 2023, 07:00

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: hstn on Mar 20, 2023, 17:14
yes!

I also had not heard that yet. Thoughts (specifically on the first vid)...

THAT'S DISGUSTINGLY GOOD! I want to hear this live in Seattle.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: chemdup on Mar 20, 2023, 00:53
Was all of a sudden played at any of the DJ sets? I didn't get to any of them.

Quote from: rynostar on Mar 20, 2023, 18:26
I also had not heard that yet. ... I want to hear this live in Seattle.

click (for previous discussion and an Instagram clip from 2021)

When was the last time they played a B-side as part of a live show? Admittedly it does sound too good to just be a B-side. It better be on the album in some shape or form.

Re: the 2021 instagram clip, before we knew it was Chemical, I remember thinking: there's something about the sound and positioning of the clap in that All Of A Sudden track that reminds me of Star Guitar. Still does. So I'm beating everyone to it with my "Star Guitar Clap" comparison before it comes out on the 28th of April.

Re: Daft Punk Comparisons:
Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 19, 2023, 11:57
It's the funky bass guitar line. Simple as that.
Quote from: Csar on Mar 19, 2023, 12:47
Really? Just the sound or the pattern or both? Did you get that feeling as well? Daft Punk never even crossed my mind with this bassline.
It's the...funkyness of it. But no I didn't think of DP until I saw others saying it.

Quote from: Csar on Mar 19, 2023, 12:47
You mean, even if true, they would have sampled a sample that Daft Punk sampled, right? And a stab sound isn't that hard to come by, imo, so why sample DP's sample?
Fair point. But I still contend that the guitar-stab makes CHEMICAL the most DP sounding track.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Mar 20, 2023, 20:39
When was the last time they played a B-side as part of a live show?
Me thinks the last time was Nude Night in 2007....such a fun performance

Chems, Errol if you're reading this, please give Nude Night another shot
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Fair point. But I still contend that the guitar-stab makes CHEMICAL the most DP sounding track.
Yes, that I get!

Quote from: hstn on Mar 20, 2023, 17:14

So this is All of a Sudden?? Admittedly, these are just a few seconds, but honestly, this must be the first time I wouldn't recognize Chemical material.
There's another tune of theirs in some Facebook videos that I was able to immediately associate with them (something faintly similar to Reflexion).
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

When was the last time they played a B-side as part of a live show?

Maybe Direct Buki (if you count it as a b-side)? Or was it also only played at dj sets?

Any thoughts on All Of A Suden will stay as b-side for No Reason or be part of XDUST12?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 20, 2023, 21:28
Maybe Direct Buki (if you count it as a b-side)? Or was it also only played at dj sets?

Damn I totally forgot about Direct Buki, they played it as an interlude between Go and Do It Again in 2016 but I have no clue if it counts as a B-side or just a bonus track
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

I've come here to geek out on all you all geeking out, and am not disappointed! <3 ;D  :music 

The Daft Punk comparison is an interesting discussion. Daft Punk didn't cross my mind when hearing No Reason - but I wasn't listening for anything to compare it to. So I dunno. Maybe? Hmmm. It's interesting to think and read about connections people hear. I'll go with inchem and agree to take the the Daft Punk that as a compliment. 

I love the visuals with their near flash-blindness effect, and I look forward to seeing the marching drummers in all their super-sized eye searing glory again soon!

Oh, and not to steal No Reason's thunder... but seeing this All of a Sudden stuff. OMG! Is it too soon to hope this may appear in their new set? It sounds like it'll bring down the house and tear open the sky!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Meant to put this in here

Please log in to view this attachment.

From Ed's insta
From a photo shoot
EMI records was tagged

'Photographed for their new track No Reason'

Is the 12 inch gonna have new artwork?
Or is this pic from a official music video?

More info can be found on  @hbsauce14  insta, including the peeps behind the scenes
Last Edit: Mar 22, 2023, 15:24 by Csar
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Mar 22, 2023, 13:00
Is the 12 inch gonna have new artwork?
Or is this pic from a official music video?
Pretty sure that's the new press / promo kit photo. Seen it a few times already.

Edit: Yep, found the shared press photo link as part of the press release for No Reason single

https://umusic.app.box.com/s/0jd49h93w7yww4fo5cekmjyqb669sfms
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Anyone got that extended version from Soundcloud? Seems to be deleted on there
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 22, 2023, 19:12
Anyone got that extended version from Soundcloud? Seems to be deleted on there
Ah yes, the version I embedded on page 7 of this thread is gone.
And yet:

Also this^ shows on the Chems overall soundcloud page: click. Go figure.
EDIT: The end of the No Reason soundcloud address/link seems to have changed to: "no-reason-preview" whilst previously it was "no-reason-extended-mix".
EDIT2: it seems they got rid of the 30 second preview that was titled "March 17", and merged the comments from that  with the comments from the extended mix. But they kept the address for the 30 second preview rather than for the extended mix.
Last Edit: Mar 22, 2023, 21:31 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Reading through comments, some were screaming "Not A Love Song"

Let the conspiracy theories begin

Inspired? The pattern of the guitar is exactly like the NR's synth/bass hook.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Mar 23, 2023, 14:08
Reading through comments, some were screaming "Not A Love Song"

Let the conspiracy theories begin

Inspired? The pattern of the guitar is exactly like the NR's synth/bass hook.

(in case others couldn't see the video posted above)

And, lol. No. If chord progressions were deemed property of the first song to use them, we'd all be fucked!
That breakdown section in NR made me think of another song with the same sequence, but it hasn't popped up in my lizard brain yet. I'll update when it does! (and no, it wasn't Public Image Ltd.)

Oh shit. My brain came through right away. It's "Where's Your Head At". Albeit with a major resulting chord instead of the minor in No Reason. The sound of the synth is also very close, IMHO.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 23, 2023, 19:14

(in case others couldn't see the video posted above)

And, lol. No. If chord progressions were deemed property of the first song to use them, we'd all be fucked!
It's not the chord progression per se but rather the melody+pattern of the synth bass and the guitar/bass:

and the guitar from the Public Image song

Third note goes up in first loop, then is held in the second.
— Aurora (The Seed)

Yeah, I can definitely hear similarities.
Though I wouldn't even say that the Chems used a sample and reworked it, at best there are patterns which inspired NR.

Why not? Golden Path & Where The Streets Have No Name also have the same rhythm
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Mar 24, 2023, 02:56
Why not? Golden Path & Where The Streets Have No Name also have the same rhythm
..and surface to air! 
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Regarding the likeness of No Reason to the P.I.L. track... Gary Numan enters the chat (which pre-dates all), and also says hello Basement Jaxx (to further support Enjoyed's claim)

Last Edit: Mar 24, 2023, 06:53 by Bosco

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 23, 2023, 19:14
Oh, lawsuits are fought over this: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/13/from-ed-sheeran-to-katy-perry-plagiarism-claims-are-an-occupational-hazard-for-musicians.
I think if it were up to the Music Industry, they would would put a copyright on individual frequencies if they could.

Quote from: Stefan on Mar 24, 2023, 13:09
Oh, lawsuits are fought over this: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/mar/13/from-ed-sheeran-to-katy-perry-plagiarism-claims-are-an-occupational-hazard-for-musicians.
I think if it were up to the Music Industry, they would would put a copyright on individual frequencies if they could.
Great read. Thanks for sharing!

And I apologize for my dismissive response to the initial video post. I find the whole thing very silly. As that article tried to summarize at the end there; (basically) all art is inspired (knowingly or not) by something and to penalize those who are able to turn those other ideas, or use inspiration from them, into something else of worth, is just a shame.

To bring it back to NR. I don't think T&E were particularly inspired by any of the tracks mentioned above, as similar as parts of them sound!

dancesoitallkeepsspinning