Get Up On It Like This

U.K. 2023 Tour

Started by nalaknip, Mar 27, 2023, 08:59

Previous topic - Next topic
I also don't know about the nested spoilers, I typed on mobile while walking back to my hotel so I might've done something wrong

Live Spoilers
Spoiler
INCREDIBLY glad they added the Jesse Jackson vocals in! They make the song so much better in my opinion, it just fits so well. It was way too short as it was, with only one drop, and this adds some length, which is very much needed.

As for the encore, No Geography and Darkness getting more time to shine makes sense, as they both had only a year (or just 3 shows), but I am not a big fan of either particularly. It makes sense considering the more happy/uplifting feeling they seem to have been going for (as evidenced by the removal of some of the darker songs like Hoops, Under The Influence, Out Of Control), but I would have preferred that be done with other songs like Radiate, The Sunshine Underground, or Das Spiegel.
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Trying not to spoil anything for myself while still keeping an eye on here - so thanks for the spoiler tags, its appreciated :) 

Can't wait for next Saturday!!
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Spoiler
Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 26, 2023, 22:54
Goodbye, which is way longer and includes the Jesse Jackson sample
I bet they used it in their live set because you asked them in that Guardian Q&A!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Oct 27, 2023, 10:03
I bet they used it in their live set because you asked them in that Guardian Q&A!
Spoiler
Spoiler
I was thinking that! I thought maybe it was a little too close to have been added, but it's likely a possibility. Maybe they also saw our disappointment at it's removal. 
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Quote from: Csar on Oct 27, 2023, 10:03

Ha! I'm sure they made their own decisions based on their own experiences of that track in DJ sets and live sets.

Incidentally I went and got a hard copy of the Guardian that day and neither of my questions/answers made it into the printed version of the paper.
I guess newspapers really do prefer the "tell us the story about..." kinda questions rather than direct discussion of the music. I mean, why would the music be the most important thing?..

Speaking of the Guardian (and the music), they reviewed the Glasgow gig here, where the reviewer describes Goodbye as "acid gospel". Perhaps he didn't get the full memo.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Set list
Spoiler
Come with us intro 
Go
Do it again 
Get yourself high vocal
Mah
No reason
Hbhg
Eve of destruction 
Dreaming 
Swoon
Temptation/ star guitar 
Live again
Acid test vocal 
Keep on 
Wide open 
Escape velocity 
Get up
Dig your own hole 
Free yourself vocal
Saturate 
Goodby w/ Jesse Jackson intro 
Setting sun
Chemical beats
Song to the siren/chemical/music response 
Galvanize 

——————————————————

No geography 
Darkness that you fear 
Private psychedelic reel 

Love is all

The music gets louder, the lights swirl faster and the chap who freaks out just hasn't passed the acid test. A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is

Acid Gospel is also a good nickname, I suppose.
Can 100% confirm that the CPR part ;D

Quote from: Stefan on Oct 26, 2023, 22:16
Spoiler
The Darkness that you fear (Beefed up version) (I think, there aren't that many clips from 2021)
As some of you have doubtless seen, Graeme on the BROTHERHOOD FB page posted some clips from Leeds including a 3:51 clip of the above track.
And yeah it does sound like a dubby, clubby version with a groovy synth bass line underpinning it. And I think I like it.

EDIT oh wait, there's also this:
Last Edit: Oct 30, 2023, 19:46 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

It's been a while, here are some pictures from Glasgow. Maybe I'll also write a review, but probably only after my second gig in London :)

Please log in to view this attachment.

You captured some great moments there, @Stefan !

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Oct 30, 2023, 19:27
As some of you have doubtless seen, Graeme on the BROTHERHOOD FB page posted some clips from Leeds including a 3:51 clip of the above track. And yeah it does sound like a dubby, clubby version with a groovy synth bass line underpinning it. And I think I like it.
Agree! That's why I love their later-in-touring-standalone-shows. They almost always have got some surprises up their sleeves by then.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

@Stefan all of them are great pics, especially landing some shots where the visuals stood still for a second for you to capture, but that one for Goodbye is perfect!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Ha, look at Tom  ;D
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Oct 31, 2023, 07:11
@Stefan all of them are great pics, especially landing some shots where the visuals stood still for a second for you to capture, but that one for Goodbye is perfect!
I really like that one, too.
Yeah, it's always a bit of hit-and-miss with some of the visuals flashing in and out quickly.

Quote from: Csar on Oct 31, 2023, 10:08
Ha, look at Tom  ;D
It's always great fun being up front and seeing the Brothers move to their music :)

Last night was possibly the best performance from the Chems in all my times seeing them. Absolutely phenomenal gig. Nearly didnt end up going as I have a 2 month old baby at home and my wife had already booked a night out with her friends but luckily I was able to get a babysitter sorted. Got in earlier than expected, caught the last half hour of James Holroyd which was, as always a lovely warmer upper, playing a great mix of nu-disco and housey stuff. Finished up the set with the beautiful Strings of Eden by Alex Kassian

Anyway thankfully there wasnt much of a break between the end of that song and the intro to the Chems. The usual, big face with the Come With Us vocals going into a dubby version of Go. I'll be referencing the Cork gig in June as that is the last time I saw them, this was a much better version of Go than the Cork show, the vocals seemed tighter.
They went through their repertoire and the best thing about it was the little changes they made to their big songs. To be honest I've kind of overdosed on No Reason so that was going to be my cue to go for a drink but they kept it interesting, even the acid line was a few octaves higher in the breakdown. They also seemed to get it sounding better than the Cork show, the kick was overpowering the rest of the track but it was reigned in a bit (only a bit mind you) Similarly with HBHG there were added things over the top.
Highlight of the night for me for once wasnt George and Mildred (they were amazing as always) but Escape Velocity absolutely blew me away. So so so intense  :Cray
I really hope they release the version of Wide Open they've been playing, its great.

Got some good pics I'll try and upload at some stage and the odd video, learned my lesson from the Cork show, when you start a video in portrait mode, it doesnt matter if you turn to landscape 1 second in, it stays in portrait mode, and there is no easy way to switch it. Havent looked back on the videos but hopefully they turned out ok.

Oh also one last note about the sound, I have never heard the Point so loud, did they bring their own speakers or did the sound engineer just nail it last night?

Looking forward to hearing other people's thoughts who were there

Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

Thank you @gavin35 for getting back about the show! How cool you got a sitter sorted so you could go have Escape Velocity melt your brain  ;D I am curious to read others' thoughts as well. What I'm seeing on socials looks like an epic time! 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Live:Point Depot Dublin 1999 Creamfields Ireland 2001 Witness Festival 2002  Marlay Park Dublin 2005 Electric Picnic 2007 Longitude Dublin 2015 Alexandra Palace 2018 3Arena Dublin 2018 Musgrave Park Cork 2023 3Arena Dublin 2023
DJ: Printworks 2022

And so many of them! So happy for you that you had a blast there! And again, reading your review, it once more confirms my believe that their later + standalone shows are the most interesting ones, so much richer and refined and playful.
— Aurora (The Seed)