Where Do I Begin?

Roughs & Finished Stuff - Dust Brothers cassette - legit?

Started by actionjackson780, May 31, 2023, 04:28

Previous topic - Next topic
Just noticed this release was added to The Dust Brothers' Discogs page within the last month or so: The Dust Brothers - Roughs & Finished Stuff. Has anyone seen this before?

Judging by the tracklist it appears to be Exit Planet Dust demos, pre-name change. The version titles also seem to be made up since I can't imagine they'd land on something like "Unknown Terror Drums Alike Mix" for an early version of Leave Home, plus there's no photo/scan of the tracklist from the cassette insert.

Anyway, copied the tracklist from Discogs below. Thoughts?

A1 Leave Home (Album Version) 5:29
A2 Life Is Sweet (Early Version Without Vocal) 6:10
A3 Chico's Groove (Album Version) 4:52
A4 Playground For A Wedgeless Firm (Unmixed Album Version) 2:50
A5 In Dust We Trust (Early Version) 5:54
A6 Three Little Birdies Down Beats (Unmixed Early Version) 6:07
A7 Fuck Up Beats (Album Version) 1:26
B1 Leave Home (Unknown Terror Drums Alike Mix) 3:00
B2 Chico's Groove (Unknown Mix) 5:32
B3 Alive Alone (Album Version) 5:18
B4 Alive Alone (Alternate Version) 5:43

Quote from: actionjackson780 on May 31, 2023, 04:28
The version titles also seem to be made up since I can't imagine they'd land on something like "Unknown Terror Drums Alike Mix" for an early version of Leave Home

Theres an official version of Leave Home called Terror Drums, but it is nearly 4 minutes long

no idea, no idea

Would love to get a copy of that tape!

The alive alone alternative version could be the coconut dub version.

I think we really need to push for an expanded version of exit planet dust, were only a couple of years off the 30th anniversary of this album. There is so much material officially released from this album over the years, yet the are still some unreleased gems still to be unearthed.
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Quote from: Explud on May 31, 2023, 07:16
Well, contributor added a lot of interesting "white label" stuff:
Oh whoa, good catch! I didn't think to look at that. Seems like they must be a Virgin Records insider who got hold of these promo/demos?

Quote from: ThePumisher on May 31, 2023, 08:00
Theres an official version of Leave Home called Terror Drums, but it is nearly 4 minutes long
I love that version! What I was getting at was "Unknown" and "Alike" in the title of the version on the tape. That seems more like someone describing the track than what I would expect it to be called officially. Looking at other alternate versions we know of, you'd think it would be "Leave Home (Alternate Terror Drums Mix 2)" or something maybe?
Quote from: sneakerbeater on May 31, 2023, 08:43
The alive alone alternative version could be the coconut dub version.

I think we really need to push for an expanded version of exit planet dust, were only a couple of years off the 30th anniversary of this album. There is so much material officially released from this album over the years, yet the are still some unreleased gems still to be unearthed.
Was thinking the same about the Alive Alone version being the Coconut Dub mix. Also could "Life Is Sweet (Early Version Without Vocal)" simply be "Delik", and could "Chico's Groove (Unknown Mix)" be "Chico's Groove (Mix 2)"?

And YES! Really hoping the Brothers revisit Exit Planet Dust with an expanded edition. The dream would be for the Dust Brothers material to be included as well but that seems unlikely.

Quote from: Explud on May 31, 2023, 07:16
Well, contributor added a lot of interesting "white label" stuff:
Looking at the contributors "In Collection" items...they have 1,007 chemical brothers related merch out of 1,441.

And I thought I was obsessed....
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly