Who's Gonna Take the Weight, Who's Gonna Take the Blame?

Skipping Like A Stone (feat. Beck)

Started by Stefan, Aug 15, 2023, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Wow, the snippet prepared me for a lot of fun things, but "It Doesn't Matter"-level bass frequencies was not one of them. This track really pops off when it pops off!
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Wow! I f**king love this. That bit around 2.15 where it takes off again is 👌👌👌. Really cannot wait for this album now.🤖

So there are two versions up on youtube, Csar posted the shorter one (4:01). The other is around 40 seconds longer (4:43), but not described as extended version =>

EDIT
the shorter one has "Music video by The Chemical Brothers performing Skipping Like A Stone (Audio)" in the description while the longer says:
℗ An EMI / Virgin Records recording; ℗ 2023 The Chemical Brothers, under exclusive license to Universal Music Operations Limited

Released on: 2023-08-21

Producer: The Chemical Brothers
Associated Performer, Programming, Vocals, Studio  Personnel, Engineer, Mixer: Tom Rowlands
Associated Performer, Programming: Ed Simons
Studio Personnel, Engineer, Mixer: Steve "Dub" Jones
Associated Performer, Vocals: Beck
Associated Performer, Background  Vocalist: Halo Maud
Studio Personnel, Mastering  Engineer: Mike Marsh
Composer Lyricist: Tom Rowlands
Composer Lyricist: Ed Simons
Composer Lyricist: Beck Hansen
no idea, no idea

Not really feeling it. I hope it's the low point of the album 😬

It starts off a little light...but then really gets into its flow. The synthy stabs towards the end are beautiful. 

I think this album is going to be a listen straight through album like further, where every track is a different part of the journey. 
The music gets louder, the lights swirl faster and the chap who freaks out just hasn't passed the acid test. A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is

First impressions has left me feeling cold.
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Another cheerful dopamine banger, the bass drop was a massive jaw dropper for me. 

Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Im definitely feeling this. Yes, I got my Beck bias, but this is a really interesting tune to my ears. Love the shifting sounds!

Between 'Live Again', 'Skipping Like A Stone' and "The Darkness That You Fear', there feels like a strong attempt to put color into sound. The vibrant artwork that has been promoted with this album, really matches up in my mind.

Another Banger from the Bros & Beck

My prediction: this will make it into the live set

The beginning is probably a seque from the previous track?

Honestly, I was unsure with the 30 second snippet, but I think this one delivered. I can at least say I prefer it over Live Again. The snippet definitely felt a little lacking, especially in the bass area, but as many have pointed out, I'm SUPER glad more bass came in later! It was already vibey and bouncy, but the bouncing bass a la "It Doesn't Matter" (one of my fav tracks) makes it just that much better. Might be a playlist contender, I'll have to give it more listens!

The lyrics are quite addictive and beautiful, and well sung by Beck and Halo Maud (she has backing vocals on this, right? Pretty sure that's her near the end). I especially love the moments at 2:10 and 3:45 that have those more unconventional and acid-y sounds that gives this song the Chemical feel. 

Also, according to the newsletter email, there's a video coming soon as well!
Excited to see what they do with this track.

Also, I think this would be awesome for the live set! Maybe an act 1 closer? We'll see!
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

Quote from: ; on Aug 21, 2023, 19:41
she has backing vocals on this, right? Pretty sure that's her near the end
Yup, that's her.
YT credits:

Producer: The Chemical Brothers
Associated  Performer, Programming, Vocals, Studio  Personnel, Engineer, Mixer: Tom Rowlands (Yup, Tom also sings on it)
Associated  Performer, Programming: Ed Simons
Studio  Personnel, Engineer, Mixer: Steve "Dub" Jones
Associated  Performer, Vocals: Beck
Associated  Performer, Background  Vocalist: Halo Maud
Studio  Personnel, Mastering  Engineer: Mike Marsh
Composer  Lyricist: Tom Rowlands
Composer  Lyricist: Ed Simons
Composer  Lyricist: Beck Hansen
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: ThePumisher on Aug 21, 2023, 14:16
Damn you brits, why isn't it 5pm already in your country?

When 5pm came, I got the "Eve of Construction" banner and was not allowed to log in.
I have a request for Team Chembase. When a new single/remix/album is dropped (or news relating to it), could we consider not adjusting the forum? I was bursting to express my excitement at 5PM but I couldn't. And last time, the entire FTBF section disappeared! Don't do that to us!!  :o

Quote from: ThePumisher on Aug 21, 2023, 16:21
So there are two versions up on youtube, Csar posted the shorter one (4:01). The other is around 40 seconds longer (4:43), but not described as extended version =>

Becks vocal starting "When you feel like nothing really matters" is at 0:36 on the short version and at 1:06 on the longer version. So 30 seconds of the time difference is in the intro. I don't think the longer intro is part of the previous track. I think the longer version is simply the album version (we know that's the correct timing), and the shorter version is the single.

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Aug 21, 2023, 17:10
First impressions has left me feeling cold.
My first impression of Wide Open left me cold, or at least underwhelmed. Now I think it's one of the best proper songs ever released under the Chemical name. Admittedly part of the reason for my cool reception to Wide Open was the radio/EDM production, and that version remains my least favourite. The remixes and live version really helped bring me around. I think this one will be a grower too.

Quote from: 𝒥𝑅𝒮𝒵 on Aug 21, 2023, 17:27
Another cheerful dopamine banger, the bass drop was a massive jaw dropper for me.
It's less melancholy than Wide Open. Would make a good "coasting along"/driving tune. And I would actually like an even bigger and longer version than the album version.

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 21, 2023, 17:42
Between 'Live Again', 'Skipping Like A Stone' and "The Darkness That You Fear', there feels like a strong attempt to put color into sound. The vibrant artwork that has been promoted with this album, really matches up in my mind.
Bosco getting deep and arty. And why not! I imagine the artwork was chosen for a reason. If you're getting some synergy between colour and sound then maybe the desired effect is seeping through.

Using the longer version of the track, some more specific thoughts on the track:

The opening choral sound at the start is reminiscent of Krafwerk's Uranium for me, (or Blue Monday which sampled it, if you prefer).
The opening synth drum sound also reminds me of something. A sped up version of the Trans Europe Express rhythm maybe? A hint of Schoolly D's What Does It Mean, maybe?
The bit at 3:46 is very reminiscent of TDTYF - the descending percussion sounds at around 2:15 on the long version.
Beck's opening vox from 0:03 to about 0:20 remind me of Animal Collective, Beach Boys and um, Beck himself!
The high pitched choral vox (0:23) have me thinking of the female vox in The Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want (album version around 6:50).  But not in a directly borrowed/sampled way.
Agree that the bass that kicks in circa 2:15 is great.
Listening now for the 7th or 8th time my head is swaying from side to side like a toddler in a high chair or something. I'm not 100% sure about the overall structure of the track, but there's definitely something here that's worthwhile.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I don't see an extended version on Soundcloud or Beatport yet, but we know there will be one since it comes as an extra track on the USB stick. Perhaps it will come with a remix in the near future as Live Again did on streaming services?

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 21, 2023, 20:13
Listening now for the 7th or 8th time my head is swaying from side to side like a toddler in a high chair or something.

I think that's a lot of what this track is about! With the pulsing synths and dreamy backing vocals, this is a very bouncy and sway-y track and I quite like that. Have the Chems done it better in the past? Sure, but there is something very much of value here. 
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

It's a banger! I need a 10 min extended version. Btw, another Kraftwerk sample? the beginning sounds like Uranium.

Quote from: nekoland on Aug 21, 2023, 20:33
It's a banger! I need a 10 min extended version. Btw, another Kraftwerk sample? the beginning sounds like Uranium.
That's what I said above! I don't think it's a direct sample though. Inspiration.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

I really really really REALLY really needed to hear this today. And didn't get a chance to until just now and I'm in deep 3 listens so far. Listens are still evolving (there is so much going on to discover in this track!) but I'm here reading @Wolkenkrabber and am like, yess! YES! This is definitely the way more cheerful of the two Beck collabs. It is interesting to compare the two. Wide Open didn't leave me cold but it didn't leave me floored as the album closer - hearing it live did beautiful things to my brain. But it is a bit longing and melancholic i whereas Skipping Like A Stone feels like the sunny-side-up opposite. I know I sound cheesy but it's like a shot of happiness, like sunshine on my face. The song is so vivid, it sounds (feels) like it's bursting with color.  I think I kinda love it already. <3
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/news/the-chemical-brothers-beck-skipping-like-a-stone/

"Skipping Like a Stone" is featured today on Apple Music's New Music Daily, and The Zane Lowe Show will air an exclusive interview tomorrow, August 22, at 9am PT.

The video for "Skipping Like A Stone," to be released soon, is directed by New York based directors Pensacola and features a rare appearance from the world's greatest stone skipper, Kurt Steiner.

The Chemical Brothers also recently announced details of a career-spanning retrospective book. Paused in Cosmic Reflection is due for publication by White Rabbit on October 26. The book is made up of new interviews with the band as well as many of their friends and collaborators from the past three decades, including Noel Gallagher, Aurora, Wayne Coyne, Beth Orton, Michel Gondry, and many more.

Beck reflected on the band in the book, writing, "The Chemical Brothers have a great predilection for exploration. Their records always seem to take you to different places. They kind of sit in an unusual place between different eras of electronic music and DJ culture. It's like they have one foot in multiple decades at the same time in a way that is utterly unique among their peers. They are rare in that they are always making stuff year in year out and amassing such a rich and impressive body of work."

Hmmm.

I wonder if we'll get an instrumental of this.

These might be my least favourite Chems lyrics ever. "I'm dancing in the center of love" - I'm not, sadly.
I've always appreciated Becks approach to lyric writing; much more about the sound of the words than the meaning. And even with Wide Open, there is a story behind the lyrics but it's not spoon fed to you. This just ain't it for me.

I will give it some more listens as there's always interesting new things to hear each go around (I do enjoy the ending from 3:15) but I'm currently with BenJ on this one. Hoping this is the 'Taste of Honey' of the album.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 22, 2023, 04:11
These might be my least favourite Chems lyrics ever. "I'm dancing in the center of love"

almost certain it's "I'm dancing in the shadows of love"

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 21, 2023, 20:13
Beck's opening vox from 0:03 to about 0:20 remind me of Animal Collective, Beach Boys and um, Beck himself!

Try a very shortened intro to Dire Straits' - "Money for Nothing"
Last Edit: Aug 22, 2023, 18:01 by Bosco Reason: critical grammar error

Quote from: ThePumisher on Aug 21, 2023, 16:21

The 4:43 version is the one featured on the album.
The 4:00 cut is the Single Edit.
https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/skipping-like-a-stone-the-chemical-brothers-beck/h1ymonff4lpmc
And there's a 7:15 Extended Mix on Beatport.
https://www.beatport.com/release/skipping-like-a-stone-extended-mix/4239839