You Always Get Me Up When I'm Down

Skipping Like A Stone (feat. Beck)

Started by Stefan, Aug 15, 2023, 16:29

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Champiness on Aug 23, 2023, 00:47
My fantasy booking for live "Skipping": pull a "Hey Boy Hey Girl"/"The Test" or "Got Glint"/"Catch Me I'm Falling", with it coming after a revived "It Doesn't Matter" and carrying over a bunch of percussion/sound effects (eg the "No Time Or Space" sample, or the noise that comes in each time before the third beat) like those previous examples. Maybe as an encore thing.
My GOODNESS, that would incredible! Me and some others expected a revived "It Doesn't Matter" after they played it in full in the 2022 DJ sets, but it has yet to happen (Saturate did come back though, urgh.) With the removal of Under The Influence, Hoops/EML Ritual/Free Yourself, and Out Of Control/Do It Again, the second act is severely lacking in the dark, rave-ey energy that those tracks brought to it in previous setlists which I adored. It Doesn't Matter could bring that energy back (though they should also bring back all of those tracks they dumped and leave Saturate out of it) while bringing back a beloved and absolutely incredible thumping track. 

It hasn't had it's own full segment since... ever? I'd say it was used more as an interlude in 1997, and past that point it was mostly mashed up with Under The Influence, right? That's an amazing mashup, and I love both tracks, but It Doesn't Matter would absolutely shine on its own. That, paired with Skipping Like A Stone would be INCREDIBLE - especially since, as many have mentioned, the two tracks share a similar (albeit lighter) thumping bass. 

And them being in the encore would be amazing as well, as, beautiful as Snow/S2A and the Reel are, it's not as fun or unique as previous encores. I'd love more unique tracks in the encore that are more dark or fast. Flashback was incredible, Das Spiegel was an amazing encore track, Got Glint was amazing as well. Imagine Work Energy Principle in the encore. That would be incredible. I wonder, will Skipping Like A Stone be added to the main set or the encore? And if the encore, which song, if any, will be added to the main set? I'm curious to see. Anyway, this isn't the live shows thread, so excuse my side tangent.

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 23, 2023, 03:09
Tom loves Santa Barbara Bowl ("every week!", "residency!"), would love to bring show back to America, East Coast and "that bit in the middle"

WHAT?! YES!!! Please, come to the East Coast! This is the most hope I've had for a show I'd be able to see in a long, long time. I'll be watching their instagram posts closely later this year and early next year!

Quote from: Bosco on Aug 23, 2023, 17:46
I hate to put a cynical spin to this, but my guess to why there is a push for the release of the shorten versions (radio edit and album version) is because of the return on royalties for streams is much greater than an extended mix at 7:14. I don't know if artists get payed out for fractional play-throughs, so I would imagine a shorter condensed track with complete repeated plays, nets more than one long track that's nearly double the length.
Hm, interesting thought, that is absolutely a possibility. Curse streaming services for making Chems records shorter! I need an album over an hour! Although, I'd rather have more shorter tracks than fewer longer tracks (Looking at you, Further). The variety is appreciated. The more tracks, the more excitement, for me at least!
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU

my guess to why there is a push for the release of the shorten versions (radio edit and album version) is because of the return on royalties for streams is much greater than an extended mix at 7:14. I don't know if artists get payed out for fractional play-throughs, so I would imagine a shorter condensed track with complete repeated plays, nets more than one long track that's nearly double the length.
I think you're on to something. I believe streaming platforms pay out at 30 seconds of playback, and that is absolutely encouraging people to release shorter recordings.

a 7 min song isn't less likely to get a payout, but there is an opportunity cost to it. if someone listens to a 7 min song that's one listen. instead that same time could be used to listen to two and a bit 3 min songs and get three listens.

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 22, 2023, 19:40
Is Beatport usually miles off with BPMs? It has SLAS listed at 89bpm  :))
BeatSource also has it listed as 89BPM. Maybe Universal sent out some bum info. It's about 128 isn't it?

Quote from: Biff on Aug 23, 2023, 17:09
the extended version of this would sound awesome as an ending track for the album, where a song like this could take its time as a cathartic ending (think TPPR).

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 22, 2023, 19:40
Wow, it IS much better. What a shame this wont be on the album.
Well it is the penultimate track on the USB version. So if you hit stop before All Of A Sudden, then you have your big ending.

my guess to why there is a push for the release of the shorten versions (radio edit and album version) is because of the return on royalties for streams is much greater than an extended mix at 7:14...
Getting stuck in again! Well it's certainly no secret that streaming has 'made' artists cut the length of their intros in order to hook people in, and yes cut the overall length of tracks too. But if that was part of the Chemical plan here, I would have expected a 3 minute edit TBH.

Right back as far as the 1980's it was perfectly normal for there to be an album version, a single (7") edit, and a 12" (extended) version. So this release doesn't really strike me as odd or cynical. Or at least no more so than 40 years ago.
The only thing that is a bit weird is that they put out the album version already. Why not make us wait for the album release to hear that, and just release the single as an edit and an extended version?

PS I wonder if we'll get "external" remixes? Perhaps at the same time as the video release? Or the album release?
I'm surprised they didn't release this track a week before the album as a sort of "hype" thing. It's surely too late to release another one before 8th September?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 23, 2023, 20:51
PS I wonder if we'll get "external" remixes? Perhaps at the same time as the video release? Or the album?
I'm surprised they didn't release this track a week before the album as a sort of "hype" thing. It's surely too late to release another one before 8th September?
If there was going to be a big name, great remix of Skipping, I'd guess hope it's planned for the week before/week of the release.

Again. Woozy synths and Beck vocals would sound just terrific with a touch of DJ Koze...
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

I'm not going to get too ruffled by the extended version vs the album. I am confident the album as it will be presented on release day will be the way the Chems want us to hear it. :)  The album version is wonderful, and the extended version is extra wonderful (and for me the preferable version). I've been playing it again and again throughout today and it's just so gorgeous! 

Here I go comparing again. The different versions remind me of the album version of Wide Open, and the By The Light Of The Moon Mix. Both versions are beautiful solid listens but for me, the extra that is the By The Light Of The Moon Mix... that swimmy dreamy version has my whole heart. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Why not make us wait for the album release to hear that, and just release the single as an edit and an extended version? 
imagine what that would do to us here on the message board.

The Beatsource page for the extended version has been removed for some reason. Are they a legit company?

BeatSource also has it listed as 89BPM. Maybe Universal sent out some bum info. It's about 128 isn't it?

Quote from: Ford on Aug 24, 2023, 07:12
The Beatsource page for the extended version has been removed for some reason. Are they a legit company?

Well both Beatport and Beatsource have now updated the BPMs to 128 (yay, I was bang-on).
They have however, also both wiped the Extended Mix. No longer available. But it IS still on the Bandcamp site ATM. If they (Universal?) "fixed" the BPM, maybe they also "fixed" the availablilty of the extended mix (it wasn't meant to be out yet?), but forgot about Bandcamp (?).

Incidentally Beatport & Beatsource both list the original mix as being in C Major and the Edit as being in F Major. What's that about?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Might be AI deciding the what key it's in. The choir on the extended mix might be causing the difference.

128 BPM has been a common tempo for the Chems, so it might give clue to where it would be in a live set. Same tempo as Star Guitar and (IIRC) Hey Boy Hey Girl. 🤔

Late to the party here. Track is now buzzing on loop in my mind. Agree with enjoyed's sentiment on Koze style vibes (as I am currently listening by to the koze remix of whomadewho). Feeling this more than Live Again.

Am seeing this as part of the SG/Swoon run in live. That or paired with the new Setting Sun...even with Sun being referenced in the choir line of Skipping.
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Aug 24, 2023, 11:07
Incidentally Beatport & Beatsource both list the original mix as being in C Major and the Edit as being in F Major. What's that about?
From my limited experience, these sites that have automated info like this rarely gets it right. I was surprised seeing it for more obscure Chems tracks, and tested it, and found it was often wrong. Not sure why they put that information when they can't be confident about it. 

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 23, 2023, 20:56
If there was going to be a big name, great remix of Skipping, I'd guess hope it's planned for the week before/week of the release.

Again. Woozy synths and Beck vocals would sound just terrific with a touch of DJ Koze...
They tend to pick "new" artists to give them some visibility, but I'm always hoping for a Soulwax remix.

I heard the snippet...

....and that's enough for me!

I'm actually gonna wait till the album release. Kind of want to prevent myself from peeking this track, and in some ways,  going through almost half of the album already before it's release.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: Biff on Aug 23, 2023, 17:09
the extended version of this would sound awesome as an ending track for the album

Remember when we speculated Goodbye to be the album closer?

How wrong we were!
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 23, 2023, 20:56

Another Dust Brothers (US) remix would be a more complete and hilarious paradox

Speaking of Remixes, I'd love the Orbital to remix something.
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

Skipping like a stone has been added to SACEM!

SKIPPING LIKE A STONE
Sub-Publisher : BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT (FRANCE)

Publisher : BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT UK LIMITED, UNKNOWN PUBLISHER

Composer/Author : OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M, SIMONS EDMUND JOHN, HANSEN BECK DAVID

I also noticed another new entry I'm not familiar with, here it is:

TIME TO BURN
Sub-Publisher : BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT (FRANCE), UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING

Publisher : BMG RIGHTS MANAGEMENT UK LIMITED, UNIVERSAL MUSIC PUBLISHING LIMITED (GB)

Composer/Author : MELCK BRENDAN, BERRY MATTHEW, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M

Only Tom is credited on it, so it may have been him working with some other artists for some project or something. Anyone got an idea of what it could be, though?

Melck, Berry and Rowlands would be Ariel. Though I'm not familiar with Time to Burn.

Interestingly, there is an 'Ariel' remix of Time To Burn by Storm (different guy). I wonder if it was mistakenly attributed to the band?
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Aug 29, 2023, 03:43
Melck, Berry and Rowlands would be Ariel. Though I'm not familiar with Time to Burn.

Interestingly, there is an 'Ariel' remix of Time To Burn by Storm (different guy). I wonder if it was mistakenly attributed to the band?

I reckon this is a massive f**k up.
Remember when SACEM got The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkle mixed up with The Boxer by The Chems? That was on the track "Why'd You Lie?" by Brick and Lace, discussed here. It's still showing on SACEM. I'm guessing it's some crappy AI error.

There is an Ariel remix of Time To Burn but, as you say, it's a different Ariel, it's this guy. Which makes sense, as Time To Burn (and its remixes) came out in 2000, but Tom's Ariel had split by about 1993, so it was unlikely to be Tom & Matt & Brendan.

So SACEM has (1) given a writing credit to a remixer of Time To Burn (which it probably shouldn't) and then (2) it has credited/identified the wrong remixer!

A slightly less full-on f**k up happened with Deeper Throat's Mouth Organ on SACEM (still there). In that case, it did at least identify the correct remixer (The Chems) but the writing credit shouldn't have been given to T&E, cos it's not their track, just their remix.

Hope this makes some kind of sense!

oh PS...
Quote from: ; on Aug 29, 2023, 03:03
Composer/Author : MELCK BRENDAN, BERRY MATTHEW, OSTYN ROWLANDS THOMAS OWEN M
Only Tom is credited on it, so it may have been him working with some other artists
If you're not familiar with Tom's Ariel then check Discogs here and scroll down to T-Baby for the first ever remix credited to T&E. They have said that this remix of Ariel signalled the end of Tom's 'old' band and the start of the Chemical Brothers (Dust Brothers at the time).
Last Edit: Aug 29, 2023, 13:06 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Do you think the music video will be released just before the album?