Remember, Remember, No Geography

Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Tom Rowlands

Started by Stefan, Sep 12, 2023, 18:14

Previous topic - Next topic
Y'all should know by now that when they don't want to address a question head on they'll provide some funny, albeit extremely open-ended answer, otherwise I'd be asking about the Clapham Drum Ensemble.

For example:

There's a particular crash cymbal sound you use in a lot of your music. It's got that distinctive sound like birds chirping toward the end, which makes it easy to recognize. Off the top of my head, it's in Leave Home, Orange Wedge, Galaxy Bounce, Believe — it's even in Hanna vs. Marissa from the Hanna soundtrack. When I heard a mislabeled version of your Prodigy Voodoo People remix for the first time, I knew it had to be by you because of the crash cymbal. Where does that sample originally come from? What keeps you coming back to it?
Yes, I love that sound, it has everything I want from a crash including a kick drum, it will live on forever.

Some of the questions on AMA are a riot  :D :D
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

My question was already asked by somebody else, Tom hopes that the Galileo score will be released someday:
Please log in to view this attachment.
Of course, that doesn't mean that it evenutally will, and it most likely isn't even his decision to make, but it's good to know

@Champiness you got asked a question back 😉

Even if not all questions get answered, it is a treat seeing all the comments and pondering over there on Reddit. 

Middle of work and I almost missed it. Created a Reddit account for first time. My questions are all slightly silly (but still reasonable).
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Quote from: inchemwetrust on Sep 13, 2023, 14:37
Wolken, you got some great questions there! Tom would definitely go for them.

I'm still trying to think of a question for him. Might be something about unreleased material, the KDB question, or a certain venue in Las Vegas!

EDIT: I just sent my question!

Gah, I didnt manage to join "the chat" until 5:20pm, by which time there were already 190+ questions.
Bloody hell!
Posted my No 1 question but doubt he'll ever get to it.
Tom says he doesn't like the title "Rock Witchu".  How dare you Tom!
EDIT: Ah they like to call it "Too Hot".

Quote from: Biff on Sep 13, 2023, 14:47
Y'all should know by now that when they don't want to address a question head on they'll provide some funny, albeit extremely open-ended answer, otherwise I'd be asking about the Clapham Drum Ensemble.

@Biff we figured out where that crash cymbal came from. It's from a Stereo MC's track: Creation, right at the very end. 4:56

I'm 100% sure that Clapham Percussion Ensemble is Tom in disguise (especially after Explud explained something to me by PM). What question were you gonna ask Tom about it?
Last Edit: Sep 13, 2023, 18:35 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 13, 2023, 16:54
I'm 100% sure that Clapham Percussion Ensemble is Tom in disguise (especially after Explud explained something to me by PM). What question were you gonna ask Tom about it?
The Clapham Percussion Ensemble is even credited for "Dreaming".
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 13, 2023, 16:59
The Clapham Percussion Ensemble is even credited for "Dreaming".

Harvest Mix...
no idea, no idea

It's OVER! Let's Go Home! (or Leave Home)

No luck on my questions. Saw a few of the other brother/sister/siblinghood q's being answered.

My Fav Q & A so far

Hey Tom! Been a massive fan of you guys since the early 00's, and seen almost all of your gigs here in beautiful Colorado, and a few times at Coachella!
In the recent Billboard interview you guys discuss the challenges of touring the states. I certainly understand the variables at play, but I didn't take away from it that we're being cut off entirely. Am I right? Only Sith deal in absolutes! :)

Tom's Answer
thanks for the support . we do hope to return one day like Darth maul in the cartoon series (top half only)
Ha! This chemical watched Clone Wars. 

Just got this bot message from Reddit:

"Sorry, your comment was removed from /r/Music because your account is less than one day old. We have to take these measures to combat spammers - it's nothing personal. We'd like you to get to know the place better before contributing, so for now, just sit back and enjoy the content posted here."

FFS.

@instantreigen
I saw your Gay Dad Money question.
I remember there was a band called Gay Dad. I wonder if it has anything to do with them. I guess we'll find out when the book comes out.

EDIT: I see someone on Reddit speculated further: "I'm going to assume it's a reference to the record company advance the band Gay Dad got at the tail end of Nineties when record labels could still splurge ridiculous amounts of money on bands."

And as speculation/assumption goes, I reckon that's pretty good!

@rynostar
Pls explain Darth Maul (top half only) comment for those of us who didn't watch Clone Wars.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 13, 2023, 18:13
@rynostar
Pls explain Darth Maul (top half only) comment for those of us who didn't watch Clone Wars.
Darth Maul shows up a few time in the series and has gone crazy. Had weird prosthetic machine for legs after Obi Wan chopped off the other half. Maybe we can infer that Tom is saying the best Darth Maul is post-slice / pre-crazy legs Darth Maul?

Image of Darth Maul progression in Clone Wars below for reference.

Tom answered my question, I simply asked if there are any plans for a South American tour and he said "we live in hope!".  I'm going to take that as a yes  :D

Thanks Wolkenkrabber!

I asked if there were any notably tough decisions on track orders or which songs would make the album, but alas it wasn't answered.

I am intrigued by this translucent steel toothbrush Tom speaks of.

JRSZ just went for it (3 hours ago). Slapped down 6 questions, got 6 answers.

Hi Tom, first of all I want to congratulate you on your 10th studio album, your music and the whole community around it (love to the Piku and Chembase Siblings!) became a really important part of my life, but let's get into the questions!

Which of the new tracks was the easiest and which one was the most difficult to finish?

Is the "Dreaming" the official EBW 13/14? (If Work Energy Principle wasn't the one as well)

That "Rock With You" track from your DJ sets is an absolute fire, do you plan to release it one day?

Any upcoming alternative/dub mixes of the album tracks? Can you tell us something about them? (longer mix/remix of the Magic Wand would be amazing!)

With the legendary "Superflash" getting the studio release, is there any plan for other fan favs like Problem/Question, or the modern Live mix of Under the Influence?
    Have you ever thought about bringing your live set to the studio like Justice with their Woman Worldwide album?

Where Do I Begin in the encore, pls <3

TomRowlandsAMA

1 none really harder than others in composition its more the final choices made when arranging /mixing etc that sometimes can be tricky

2 .no,we didn't think of it like that .maybe something new for that!

3 hope so

4 there are some great remixes to come

5 live is live ,studio is studip

6 we have done it before .might happen again one day

Answer 2: Something new for the next EBW? Hmm, interesting.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Some really great and fun questions and answers in the AMA!
We should probalby collect them somewhere to preserve them for future generations (not that Reddit is suddenly shut down and everything will be lost)
Just copy&paste them here? Or into a pdf and save it as attachement?

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 13, 2023, 19:21

Answer 2: Something new for the next EBW? Hmm, interesting.

Yeah, I really liked this answer!

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 13, 2023, 17:27
Harvest Mix...
Just wanted to know if you really got your CD yet!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 13, 2023, 19:21

He even got another one answered! He asked about how they found the sample for the Test by Czeslaw  Niemen. The answer was really surprising!
https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/16hpfif/im_tom_rowlands_from_the_chemical_brothers/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Please log in to view this attachment.
Last Edit: Sep 14, 2023, 09:46 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

So, so many comments in that AMA from everyone that's stopped by.. very beautiful this shared experience of time enjoying the Chemical Brothers... Some questions technical, other comments nostalgic, and many many thanks. It's a lot to take in. :) I'm grateful Tom answered so many! 

Quote from: Csar on Sep 13, 2023, 19:48
Just wanted to know if you really got your CD yet!

Yes, i got the CD. But the booklet not even worth calling it a booklet. As with the digipack case, slim as a paper.
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 13, 2023, 21:15
Yes, i got the CD. But the booklet not even worth calling it a booklet. As with the digipack case, slim as a paper.
True. There's not even a(n) (extra) "super dope thanks" section any more. At least it's got my favourite artwork out of the 4.
in terms of package, Born In the Echoes/Brotherhood are my most favourite ones to date. I've always loved the texture and the white echoes/waves/bolts of BITE printed on it.
— Aurora (The Seed)