For That Beautiful Feeling

Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) with Tom Rowlands

Started by Stefan, Sep 12, 2023, 18:14

Previous topic - Next topic
In retrospect, I wish I had understood that the AMA would be opened up for questions shortly after 4pm. I think getting in early would have really improved the chances of getting questions answered. And I (really) Want To Know about the unused version of the Trespass soundtrack.
Well the last "Ask Tom" was circa 2015/2016. Maybe in another 8 years or something...
IT'S MORNING TIME!

ORAL HYGIENE IS KEY 
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I'm sorry, @Wolkenkrabber :(
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

I didn't understand how the questions were sorted. When I posted my question I saw it popping up in the timeline but scrolling through all messages I didn't see it anymore. (Curious if someone here spotted a message from Joslyn78)

Good to see a lot of people from here asking their questions and getting a reply. Nicely done. It was some cluttered fun.

He did a good job at replying to stuff, often only like 10 questions even get answered
Live: Latitude 2021, Field Day 2022, Kalorama 2022, o2 Arena 2023
DJ: Fabric 2021, Printworks 2021, Printworks 2022, Glastonbury 2023

Quote from: gfa2001 on Sep 14, 2023, 11:37
He did a good job at replying to stuff, often only like 10 questions even get answered
Tom literally replied 60+ times on the AMA, including mine.

Saw a lot of the Discord bunch on there. JRSZ took a leap of faith and got his 6 questions answered.

Looking to purchase a translucent steel toothbrush online soon.
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

sooo what is this about? particularly intriguing since the film was soundtracked by the other Dust Brothers...

gd_benci : In retrospect, what do you feel is the biggest chance you (and Simons) missed throughout your carreer? Like an artist you could have worked with or a deal you wouldn't think twice about now

Tom : We don't really think of our career as a series chances, but if there is one thing that stands out, it would be using the script for "Fight Club" as a door stop for a year before actually reading it. Oops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/16hpfif/comment/k0f0obu/
Last Edit: Sep 16, 2023, 00:44 by shakermaker

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 16, 2023, 00:29
sooo what is this about? particularly intriguing since the film was soundtracked by the other Dust Brothers...

gd_benci : In retrospect, what do you feel is the biggest chance you (and Simons) missed throughout your carreer? Like an artist you could have worked with or a deal you wouldn't think twice about now

Tom : We don't really think of our career as a series chances, but if there is one thing that stands out, it would be using the script for "Fight Club" as a door stop for a year before actually reading it. Oops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/16hpfif/comment/k0f0obu/

I thought this was interesting too!

I would imagine the Chems timeline would be different had they take on this project. For example, 'Surrender' might not have been conceived the way it is.

Regardless, Dust Brother (US) did a fantastic job on the soundtrack, so everyone wins!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 13, 2023, 19:21
JRSZ just went for it (3 hours ago). Slapped down 6 questions, got 6 answers.
Preffered to put them as the one comment than to spam the feed when others got their.

But I'm kinda shocked that Dreaming isn't the EBW, like it's the most EBW thing ever
Where do I start?
Where do I begin?

TBH this feels like a dud. with a few exceptions almost every response is vague, avoiding the question, or says nothing at all. it feels a bit like he was coerced into this as part of some kind of contractual obligation and wanted to do the minimum possible.

some examples:

"Congrats on the new album! It's absolutely wonderful.
Are there any plans for a bigger US tour? I'm in Atlanta & have wanted to see you for years."

"we had a lot of fun when we lasted visited hotlanta in 97 but no plans to return. maybe one day :)
we've had some amazing concerts in the USA over the years"

"I'd love to know like how do you decide what songs to play during a live show. Like what lead to Let Forever Be only being played once in 2018 or Dig Your Own Hole returning after a several year absence"
"yeah, it was fun to play for one night only .guess you had to be there!!"

"My favorite song from the album is Feels like I am Dreaming, I saw you guys live in Bogotá and the visuals for this song really stuck with me. Can you tell us a bit of the story behind the visuals for this song?"
"I can tell you it features Benedict Wong .who is fantastic"

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 16, 2023, 04:03
TBH this feels like a dud. with a few exceptions almost every response is vague, avoiding the question, or says nothing at all. it feels a bit like he was coerced into this as part of some kind of contractual obligation and wanted to do the minimum possible.

I don't think he was coerced, but certainly isn't enthused to taking questions. Not to brag, but I've been around for a while, and he's ALWAYS been vague, even with the few times he's appeared here on the forum. So for some of us old heads, this is mostly on-par.

When he says he had no interest in doing this upcoming book and took convincing about looking in "reflection", I believe that 100%. He's incredibly private, and has constantly been one that espouses turning the next page on things.

I will say, the Fight Club comment was unusual and more than he'd usually divulge.  There is probably more to this, but again, probably not our business.

TBH this feels like a dud. with a few exceptions almost every response is vague, avoiding the question, or says nothing at all. it feels a bit like he was coerced...
I do understand your point about Tom's vagueness, honestly! However I'm not sure he answered these particularly badly.

"Congrats on the new album! It's absolutely wonderful.
Are there any plans for a bigger US tour? I'm in Atlanta & have wanted to see you for years."

"we had a lot of fun when we lasted visited hotlanta in 97 but no plans to return. maybe one day :)
we've had some amazing concerts in the USA over the years"

He's politely saying "no", whilst saying he remembers '97 in order to be nice about Atlanta. I guess he could have expanded further on why it's a "no", which is something he has done elsewhere (the US is less open to their charms, plus crazy touring costs). That's something you and I already know. I've never even been to Atlanta. Is it possible that I know more than Americans about why the Chems are less likely to play there?

"I'd love to know like how do you decide what songs to play during a live show. Like what lead to Let Forever Be only being played once in 2018 or Dig Your Own Hole returning after a several year absence"
"yeah, it was fun to play for one night only .guess you had to be there!!"

If he answered in full about how they choose tracks, it could be a crazy long answer! Although we already know that it's a mixture of "the hits" (HBHG, BRB etc), the current stuff, and some other stuff that works. It seems that they sometimes try something different to see if they like it. I realise I'm starting to answer Tom's question for him, but to some extent we know the answer. The question may have had an element of: "why did you only bring back LFB for one gig?" And if Tom said: "cos we felt like it and then decided nah", it would probably lead to more "why why why".

"My favorite song from the album is Feels like I am Dreaming, I saw you guys live in Bogotá and the visuals for this song really stuck with me. Can you tell us a bit of the story behind the visuals for this song?"
"I can tell you it features Benedict Wong .who is fantastic"

Well you and I know the answer. They're recycled visuals for "I'll See You There" from the BITE tour (and the visuals are a recreation of a famous old film: Kenneth Angers Inaguration of the Pleasure Dome). But perhaps Tom didn't want to say "we recycled old visuals". If people dont know then um...  why spoil the fact that the visuals weren't made for FLIAD?

Well I realise that my response may come across as very defensive of Tom and not so sympathetic to you, but I do understand your general point. Biff kinda made that point as well: if they don't want to answer directly, they give some humorous answer.

Incidentally I think the more "dedicated" fans here on the forum also know that the split in music making between T&E probably isn't equal. Tom is clearly in the drivers seat with his big studio at home (and a bunch of other facts/evidence that I won't get stuck into now). So I think they're always trying to protect their brand/image of the duo that makes music together, even if it may be more complicated (or perhaps less compliacted) than that.

Re Fight Club, I thought that was interesting. One of my fave films. One that subsequently inspired me to buy the book by Chuck Palahniuk (and another one of his books too) and then I got the film on DVD. Imagine if it had had a Chems soundtrack! Even better! Oh well, we can dream...

Quote from: 𝒥𝑅𝒮𝒵 on Sep 16, 2023, 03:23
Preffered to put them as the one comment than to spam the feed...

I now know that I should have jumped in circa 4.15pm and slapped down my 5 questions as one post, before it got busy (yeah I'm still grumpy about this. Would love to have had an exclusive Forum AMA.  Move on Wolkenkrabber, move on!)
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 16, 2023, 07:10
I don't think he was coerced, but certainly isn't enthused to taking questions. Not to brag, but I've been around for a while, and he's ALWAYS been vague, even with the few times he's appeared here on the forum. So for some of us old heads, this is mostly on-par.
I did wonder about this. good to have confirmation.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 16, 2023, 12:52
Well I realise that my response may come across as very defensive of Tom and not so sympathetic to you, but I do understand your general point. Biff kinda made that point as well: if they don't want to answer directly, they give some humorous answer.
defend away! he's not here to defend himself after all, and you all "know" him better than I do. 

I get that some questions he may not want to answer, or may not be in a position to answer, and humorous responses are a good way to do acknowledge the question. being a private person myself I respect anyone else's choice to be that way. it just seems like an "ask me anything" is a weird space to step into if you don't really want to answer anything.

we did get a few scraps of new information though, so there's that.

[question from the person in Atlanta]

He's politely saying "no", whilst saying he remembers '97 in order to be nice about Atlanta. I guess he could have expanded further on why it's a "no", which is something he has done elsewhere (the US is less open to their charms, plus crazy touring costs). That's something you and I already know. I've never even been to Atlanta. Is it possible that I know more than Americans about why the Chems are less likely to play there?
his answer implies they have no plans to return to atlanta, but the question wasn't about atlanta, it was about whether they have plans for a bigger US tour. he dodged that question and answered a different one.

[question about how they choose tracks to perform, particularly one-offs]

If he answered in full about how they choose tracks, it could be a crazy long answer! Although we already know that it's a mixture of "the hits" (HBHG, BRB etc), the current stuff, and some other stuff that works. It seems that they sometimes try something different to see if they like it. I realise I'm starting to answer Tom's question for him, but to some extent we know the answer. The question may have had an element of: "why did you only bring back LFB for one gig?" And if Tom said: "cos we felt like it and then decided nah", it would probably lead to more "why why why".
if he didn't want to or have the capacity to answer he could have skipped over this question. instead a "guess you had to be there" followed by exclamation marks feels so awkward, as if under his breath he is saying "get me out of here".

[question about Feels like I am Dreaming video]

Well you and I know the answer. They're recycled visuals for "I'll See You There" from the BITE tour (and the visuals are a recreation of a famous old film: Kenneth Angers Inaguration of the Pleasure Dome). But perhaps Tom didn't want to say "we recycled old visuals". If people dont know then um...  why spoil the fact that the visuals weren't made for FLIAD?
fair, but could he have found anything other than the most obvious thing to share? maybe he doesn't like to be put on the spot and his memory froze up in the moment.

maybe where I am landing is: perhaps Tom isn't very good at the humorous responses used to avoid answering directly.

which again leaves me wondering why he did this, unless it was part of some contractual obligation.

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 16, 2023, 16:55
which again leaves me wondering why he did this, unless it was part of some contractual obligation.

Let me answer this like Tom: "yes?"

To help compare, here is a link to the last time Tom took questions from fans.

his answer implies they have no plans to return to atlanta, but the question wasn't about atlanta, it was about whether they have plans for a bigger US tour. he dodged that question and answered a different one.
The OG questioner said they were in Atlanta and asked about a wider US tour (perhaps aware of recent Coachella dates). Why does the OG questioner want a wider US tour? Proabably cos they want the Chems to come to Atlanta ("I'm in Atlanta and have wanted to see you for years"). Tom addrsses both Atlanta and "some amazing concerts in the USA over the years" in his answer. There clearly aren't plans for a wider US tour - covering many places (inc Atlanta). That was pretty clear to me.

if he didn't want to or have the capacity to answer he could have skipped over this question [about live track choices].
One more question skipped yes he could have done that, true.

fair, but could he have found anything other than the most obvious thing to share? maybe he doesn't like to be put on the spot and his memory froze up in the moment.
He may well have been trying to smash through as many questions as possible. But also:
A few months ago a (former?) forumite asked on the Brotherhood FB page: "Is that Benedict Wong in the Dreaming visuals? My mate says it can't be, but it really looks like him".
I was happy to confirm that it was indeed Benedict Wong, but I think a lot of people (casual fans) didn't/don't know that Mr Wong is in there. If the questioner didnt even know that the visuals were originally from "I'll See You There", there's a good chance they may not have been aware of Bendict Wong either.

As for whether Tom wanted to do the AMA, we can only speculate. Maybe he was prodded into doing it by Alex Nightingale or Universal? Who knows?
I think the big ego "artists" such as Miley Cyrus are happy to pop up (or pop their tits out) on every medium that will have them, but the ones who just want to "do music" are less likely to have that "me me me" attitude to doing press/interviews etc.
Last Edit: Sep 17, 2023, 00:46 by Wolkenkrabber
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Folks. There is a new album. Tom and Ed are doing press. On radio shows and on schedules balanced with their daily personal stuff. They are putting themselves out there, even without AMA. 30 years is being celebrated also. Was it a contractual obligation as part of press in releasing their art? Probably, and so what! But I do know their fans are appreciated and aren't an obligation. Have you heard the music they make and share, have you seen one of their monstrous and awesome shows? Only the best!!

They are for the most part private people (Tom it seems more so) doing what they do. Maybe AMA is an awkward platform? I don't know. I never know what to ask Tom if I'm put on the spot, haha!! I wasn't expecting the AMA to unlock secrets to the universe. That nugget about Fight Club is really cool. Aside from submitting questions it seemed to give people a chance to stop by and say thank you or share a memory or two. That's a beautiful thing to read, and so are the interactions.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Sep 16, 2023, 18:56
The OG questioner said they were in Atlanta and asked about a wider US tour (perhaps aware of recent Coachella dates). Why does the OG questioner want a wider US tour? Proabably cos they want the Chems to come to Atlanta ("I'm in Atlanta and have wanted to see you for years"). Tom addrsses both Atlanta and "some amazing concerts in the USA over the years" in his answer. There clearly aren't plans for a wider US tour - covering many places (inc Atlanta). That was pretty clear to me.
you may be letting outside knowledge influence your interpretation. the questioner asked if they have plans for a bigger US tour and Tom did not provide any insight in his response whether they have plans for a bigger US tour. that's very straight forward not answering the question. 

to assume that the OP would only be interested if said tour hit Atlanta is presumptuous. perhaps there are also other cities that would be accessible to them. the OP could have asked specifically about plans to come to Atlanta and did not ask that.

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 17, 2023, 02:35
you may be letting outside knowledge influence your interpretation. the questioner asked if they have plans for a bigger US tour and Tom did not provide any insight in his response whether they have plans for a bigger US tour. that's very straight forward not answering the question.

to assume that the OP would only be interested if said tour hit Atlanta is presumptuous. perhaps there are also other cities that would be accessible to them. the OP could have asked specifically about plans to come to Atlanta and did not ask that.

Dude you're trying too hard to attack Tom's answers here. Same with the Benedict Wong reply.
That is all.
IT'S MORNING TIME!