I'll Take You Along With Me

Touring in the US is “not really viable at the moment”

Started by Conn6orsuper117, Sep 17, 2023, 00:53

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: MadPooter on Sep 19, 2023, 18:58
How are people still factoring COVID into business decisions???

This is ridiculous.
Surely you've encountered the insurance industry at some point in your life by now because that is EXACTLY how Covid is being factored.  Roger Daltry said something about it fairly recently.  

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 19, 2023, 17:18
@gfa2001

Residency for a 3 day weekend at something with the capacity of SB Bowl would essentially up the attendance to 13,500. If you charge $100 a tix and sell out all 3 nights, we are above the million mark...
Quote from: ThePumisher on Sep 19, 2023, 17:21
Them Brothers hopefully never charge 100 money for tickets while i'm alive
well GA at the santa barbara bowl was $89.50 before fees, $111.15 after fees, so they are pretty much there already.

but if they tripled supply I think they might have a harder time moving them at that price.

I went back over Bosco's excellent chronology in more detail to identify trips across the Atlantic for live performances this century.

there are some gaps here in that I am missing trips across the Atlantic to South America, but in reverse chronological order:

2023 Nov - 1 festival, no solo
2023 Apr - 2 festival, 2 solo
2022 Sep - 1 festival, 1 solo
2019 Aug - 1 festival, 1 solo
2019 May - 1 festival, 4 solo
2018 Nov - 1 festival, no solo
2015 Sep - 2 festival, no solo
2015 Jul/Aug - 1 festival, 1 solo
2011 Mar/Apr - 3 festival, 2 solo
2010 Aug/Sep - 2 festival, 3 solo
2007 Sep - 1 festival, 5 solo, sponsored by Zune
2005 Sep - 1 festival
2005 Apr/May - 1 festival, 2 solo, 2 misc
2002 Nov - no festival, 1 solo
2002 Apr - 1 festival, 10 solo

aside from an inexplicable standalone solo date in New York in Nov 2002, every one of these trips included at least one festival date.
Last Edit: Sep 20, 2023, 05:52 by shakermaker

Covid, post Covid inflation (aka greed) certainly didn't help, and, yes, their production size/costs have grown, but this all comes down to corporations ruining EVERYTHING (especially music).  In the nineties, the FCC allowed corporations to swallow up more and more stations.  This absolutely destroyed independent (AND LOCAL) terrestrial radio as we knew it and led to the soulless, homogenic music hellscape Americans are sometimes trapped in.  The situation isn't exactly helped with the um "partnership" between Clear Channel and Live Nation.  It also isn't particularly helpful to your album sales when people can't actually buy your cd or record (or cassette if that's your m.o.).  So, to make a long story short, people aren't going to shows that aren't promoted because they're not buying the albums that aren't promoted or not buying the albums they do know about but can't buy.  Cool...

Edit: An artist signs with a major label to promote their shows and distribute their albums and UMG has failed both those tasks spectacularly.  

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 20, 2023, 03:13
2007 Sep - 1 festival, 5 solo, sponsored by Zune
Those 2007 dates only happened because of a Microsoft sponsorship?! I guess the Zune had more of an influence on my musical development than I'd realized.
Quote from: androidgeoff on Apr 17, 2019, 20:16

I need the Miguel version of the album

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 20, 2023, 03:13
2015 Sep - 1 festival, 1 solo
2015 Jul/Aug - 1 festival, 1 solo

The September shows in Chicago and New York were both festivals actually, I'll remind myself to specify that in my list.

The Hard SF date, while wasn't a festival, it was an "event" made possible because of the Hard Summer (Insomniac) appearance. So I don't like to necessarily consider this a solo show. ::krazy

And finally, while we are on the subject of 2015, here is a quick visual comparison of the stage setup of these 4 shows.

click for videos

Hard SF:

Hard Summer (SoCal):

Electric Zoo (NY):

North Coast (Chi):

I mean, do I need to further point out how unfortunate the Electric Zoo setup was and how cramped the North Coast stage were. I have a feeling they'll never do these smaller/niche electronic music festivals unless it's clear they have proper stage space and not plagued with obstructed viewing or compromises.

It should be noted that at Electric Zoo, the robots were placed far off stage left/right (which I admit, was unique) and North Coast stage was sooo small they had to detach legs.  ::)

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 20, 2023, 05:48
The September shows in Chicago and New York were both festivals actually, I'll remind myself to specify that in my list.
fixed! thx

The Hard SF date, while wasn't a festival, it was an EVENT made possible because of the Hard Summer appearance. So I don't like to necessarily consider this a solo show.
there are some gray areas. having been one of the fortunate people at that show, it felt like a solo show to me, so my bias may be affecting this. and I think the principle here is that all the solo dates are being made possible by festival appearances, whether it is directly via the same promoter or more indirect. 

Quote from: Champiness on Sep 20, 2023, 05:08
Those 2007 dates only happened because of a Microsoft sponsorship?! I guess the Zune had more of an influence on my musical development than I'd realized.
well... maybe the guardians of the galaxy will help us! 

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 20, 2023, 05:57
fixed! thx
there are some gray areas. having been one of the fortunate people at that show, it felt like a solo show to me, so my bias may be affecting this. and I think the principle here is that all the solo dates are being made possible by festival appearances, whether it is directly via the same promoter or more indirect.
Precisely. I forgot to give you props at the end of my post for further displaying that out for everyone.

So... what other major festival in the US (not Coachella) do we harp on to take a chance with The Chemical Brothers so that we can further this religion ? :P

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 20, 2023, 06:22
Precisely. I forgot to give you props at the end of my post for further displaying that out for everyone.

So... what other major festival in the US (not Coachella) do we harp on to take a chance with The Chemical Brothers so that we can further this religion ? :P
Movement

I'll try to provide some context for my incredulity.

"Just about everyone who I've seen has had really mild symptoms," Eiting said of his urgent care patients, adding, "The only way that we knew that it was Covid was because we happened to be testing them."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-symptoms-mild-follow-pattern-doctors-say-rcna105090

Quote from: MadPooter on Sep 20, 2023, 19:07
I'll try to provide some context for my incredulity.

"Just about everyone who I've seen has had really mild symptoms," Eiting said of his urgent care patients, adding, "The only way that we knew that it was Covid was because we happened to be testing them."

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-symptoms-mild-follow-pattern-doctors-say-rcna105090
Oh please spare us your incredulity....it took a while for Tom, Ed and some of the crew to be exposed to it themselves so stop acting like it's overblown, some of my friends even got sick still after playing gigs in the past month

Anyway I do hope maybe at some point a NYC gig could be in play, I can imagine Brexit would have a factor in touring too which could leave less room for a proper US handful of dates, especially with how much they'd have to ship overseas
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Quote from: hstn on Sep 20, 2023, 19:12
Oh please spare us your incredulity....it took a while for Tom, Ed and some of the crew to be exposed to it themselves so stop acting like it's overblown, some of my friends even got sick still after playing gigs in the past month

Anyway I do hope maybe at some point a NYC gig could be in play, I can imagine Brexit would have a factor in touring too which could leave less room for a proper US handful of dates, especially with how much they'd have to ship overseas

No. You can go fuck yourself. Again.

Mega-lame. How you guys go so quickly to insults? 

(Don't answer that, take that as my disapproval)

Quote from: Bosco on Sep 20, 2023, 22:57
Mega-lame. How you guys go so quickly to insults?

(Don't answer that, take that as my disapproval)
I was trying to explain my reasoning for my comment.

I tend to be impolite when people are impolite.

:( This arguing and insulting. Please you guys..  

I dunno. Covid is pretty fucked up in that its symptoms are varied and unpredictable from person to person. Then there's Covid inflation like was mentioned above. The liability. All things worth discussing and hashing out. Post pandemic world is different, can or will things ever return to normal? 
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: MadPooter on Sep 21, 2023, 00:15
I was trying to explain my reasoning for my comment.

I tend to be impolite when people are impolite.
How about you trying to act like an adult next time and conduct yourself with more dignity. Words like that against users aren't welcome here.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Not on my shift.
MadPooter banned (muted) for week due to disrespectful attitude towards other users.
Hi Kevin!

The Hard SF date, while wasn't a festival, it was an "event" made possible because of the Hard Summer (Insomniac) appearance. So I don't like to necessarily consider this a solo show. ::krazy

And finally, while we are on the subject of 2015, here is a quick visual comparison of the stage setup of these 4 shows.

click for videos

Hard SF:

Hard Summer (SoCal):

Electric Zoo (NY):

North Coast (Chi):

I mean, do I need to further point out how unfortunate the Electric Zoo setup was and how cramped the North Coast stage were. I have a feeling they'll never do these smaller/niche electronic music festivals unless it's clear they have proper stage space and not plagued with obstructed viewing or compromises.

It should be noted that at Electric Zoo, the robots were placed far off stage left/right (which I admit, was unique) and North Coast stage was sooo small they had to detach legs.  ::)
What are those drums at 4:34 in the Hard SF video? They're awesome, but I don't recognize them from anywhere. Anyone know?

Quote from: shakermaker on Sep 20, 2023, 05:57
it felt like a solo show to me,
As someone who's never been to a show, I'm curious, what's the difference between a festival show and a solo show (other than, obviously, one happens at a festival, and one is just a solo show)? What about them feels different?

Also, I got COVID a few months ago and it messed me up BAD. Second time I had it, I think. And I'm vaccinated. If I wasn't, I can't imagine what it would have done to me.
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU