We Help to Make the World a Little Bit Better

North Coast Chicago 2015 Reviews

Started by androidgeoff, Sep 07, 2015, 16:40

Previous topic - Next topic
Review time? First, let's get pre-Chems stuff out of the way for Sunday......

Started with Trippy Turtle. I already knew the crowd and stages would be better than Saturday from this set. This guy played trappy dubsteppy stuff, but the bass wasn't hurting my protected ears, nor was the music campy.

I met a gentleman from Colombia by the name of Jose. He had a Chems shirt and was alone, so my GF and I walked up to him. This guy came all the way from Colombia to see the Chems. He had to join us for the day, we weren't going to let him be alone. He was there with us the whole day and I was honored to have met him. He is a true Chemical Brother, he just isn't on the forum.

Kill the noise was alright. I don't even really remember any standout aspects of them, aside from playing the Flux Pavilion Bass Cannon marimba before not actually DROPping it. He just really likes the marimbas and who can blame him? It is a musical instrument from Guatemala that has survived time, genocide, and the United States' fuckery of a country that is in a difficult spot. Go marimbas!!!!

Saw the last 20 or so minutes of Future Rock. They were my jam. Their closing song was a DnB tempo song and only I was dancing, because nobody knows how to dance to DnB. There are two ways: on beat, or half time. Get yo hips grooving; get yo head moving. That is how you dance to DnB. For those with bad hips, the stanky leg works.

Green Velvet was Acidy goodness. Fucking excellent Acid House. I could not understand him on the microphone. I guess this was my glimpse into 1990s parties, with a DJ giving wisdom on deaf ears. He could have been telling us about the Apocalypse, or how to file taxes, or even could have been reading us his "Kill List." I wouldn't know. I wonder who is on the List? Probably the Velvet Underground and Green Day.

Portugal, the Man killed it. I wanted to stay for the whole set. Never listened to them and was blown away. I saw the last 20 minutes of Avi Sic and it was perfect for that basketball court at the 847 stage. Good time funky house as the sun began to go behind the trees.

Around Portugal, the Man, I met up with Bosco and White Noise. After Avi Sic, I met up with Bosco again at the Chems' FoH stage during Atmosphere's performance. He texted "Tom and Adam sighting" so I scurried over and waved to them at the FoH console. They each waved back and I was like omg TomAd ain't no different than a nomad (they are human beings too). Errol was running around and we caught his attention. He talked to us before the show for like 10 mins and it was great seeing him again.

Atmosphere was an excellent show. I have seen him twice and he is a showman. He made a great opening act for the Chems and I appreciated everyone who cleared from the Chems FoH to watch Atmosphere as they allowed me to get close to the Chems FoH.

Turn off yo mind relax and float downstream like a Salmon floating upstreaaaam. With a promise, from Errol, of a unique energy for the show, it all began.

I can't go song by song as I was far more into just going crazy. Highlights were...

House Nation sample as I randomly pop into my GFs room and start mimicking the minimal EBW7 with the sample. It has become this weird thing and she finally got to hear it live, so I seem less crazy now. Star Guitar was blissful. Elektrobank into ISYT is probably my favorite transition. That phone clown freaks people out and then it goes into Kabuki Anger visuals of ISYT and nobody returns the same from that. The Sunshine Underground is still my favorite live song. I think I have now seen it at 2007 Chicago, 2015 Hard Fest, and now 2015 Chicago. The ending really snuck up on me as I was going mental and suddenly Music:Response was telling me it was almost time for them to go... but not before everyone lost their shit to Block Rockin Beats. A guy behind me said he had a bad hip, but he was jumping as high as possible for BRB.

So the show is officially over. We know there will be no TPPR due to Chicago's curfew laws. But a special encore was awaiting our small group. At this point it is myself, Bosco, White Noise, my GF, Jose, and a gentleman named Brian who is on this forum. Standing by the FoH, we started to be shooed away from security. The night was young. How could they be so rude? I just wanted to marry a nice girl, you know? We go pretty far away from the FoH. But fuck it, I see people hanging out at the railings. We head over. Then the VIP area behind the FoH cleared out. No security up there. This my chance. I run up there, because you gotta take a chance to hit the jackpot. Errol sees me being weird and illegal as I am not a VIP (I'd like to be a Very Important Person, but a peasant existence is alright). He has a special surprise for us.

We follow through alternating patches of bright light and eerie darkness. 6 of us behind Errol, following him like a pack of meerkats. I stop White Noise and hug the shit out of him, because we know what is happening. We stand outside of a trailer. Errol grabs Two Brothers Dortmunder Lager (I love Two Brothers, out of Warrenville IL. If you ever get a chance to try any beer of theirs, get it. They make classic styles, nothing fancy. They make it well. They do cans. One of their brewers now works as the co-owner of Off Color, one of Chicago's BEST breweries). We drink Dortmunder, its slight sweetness coupled with biscuity goodness and clean lager fermentation giving me a feeling of perfection. Adam Smith and Tom appear from the trailer.

ADAM SMITH AND TOM APPEAR FROM THE TRAILER.

What the flying fuck? I am meeting them. Fuck it, they met me, because I am awesome like all EDM Kiddies are awesome. Gonna gloat a bit, they got to meet some of their nerdiest fans and get treated like the gods they are. They deserve to have everyone freak the fuck out when meeting them.

We hung out in the trailer and had a good time. We were a bit too excited, me especially. But fuck it, when else am I meeting the Chemical Brothers? I went full force, asking questions left and right. I got through like maybe 1% of all the questions I have wanted to ask. There is a reason they were eventually like, "ok we gotta go." They signed tickets, pizza boxes, and even a Cavs hat (suck it Bosco, LeBron James is the only #23 I know). Tom signed "hello mate Hi am on 23 -Tom Chemical" because I wanted him to write that LeBron James is the best player and Tom couldn't do Bosco like that. Adam is carrying the torch with "Love Is All" and "Don't Think." Speaking of Don't Think, Let It Flow was probably the tagline for the whole evening. I made a complete fool talking to Angus, Matt, and Just Shan. Their importance to what we are able to experience cannot go unnoticed. They are incredibly funny and I appreciated the ribbing.

JOKE TIME: The shittiest part of it all? I DIDN'T GET ANY KRED FROM TOM AND ADAM BECAUSE THEY DON'T DO GIMMICKS YO. They real hawd and ain't about dat shit. They make Jerk Chicken when all others make is Aoli.

COMIC SANS TIME
I would like to thank Tom, Adam, Errol, Matt, Angus, "Just Shan," (Shan what? "Just Shan") and whoever I missed from the crew who opened their trailer and their hearts. It is rare to just get to nerd out with your idols like that and I don't know if I'll ever top that experience.

My GF (who will hopefully join the forum) and Jose (who will hopefully join the forum) have a Chems (who will hopefully join the forum) concert to meeting the Chems (who will hopefully join the forum) ratio of 1:1. 4:1 myself (who is hopefully still allowed on this forum after being a nerdy fan with a lot of excitement).

Random shout outs to the crowd that partied with me (spellings may be wrong): White Noise, Bosco, my GF, Jose, James, Ulli, Sandra, Aileen, Tim 1, Ryan, Tim 2 (Water Tim), Tony, Josh, Erin, Dante, Julio, Gary, and Stefan. I am forgetting many names.

Special Shout Out to my boii Jose from Colombia. This guy had a Chemical Brothers shirt and that was all it took for him to experience yesterday. We could not leave a Chemical Brother alone, so we said Come With Us. It was his first show and the amount of appreciation and happiness in his face made everything even better. I hope this is not the last time I see him.
Last Edit: Sep 08, 2015, 00:47 by androidgeoff
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOOOH EMMM GGEEEE!!!!!  :o

You guys and girls were invited for/to a beer and a trailer visit? Are you kidding me? You got Realed! REEAAAALeD!
You folks get KRED from me! Muchos KREDOS!

Would you say they were creeped out by you, Geeoff, and possiblby won't invite any fans ever again to their backstage area?
Last Edit: Sep 07, 2015, 16:57 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Beer, champagne, wine, soda. We had it all. Then I shared a 2013 Bourbon County Stout with Bosco and White Noise.

Quote from: androidgeoff on Sep 07, 2015, 16:57

Beer, champagne, wine, soda. We had it all. Then I shared a 2013 Bourbon County Stout with Bosco and White Noise.
It's not like you had anything to celebrate :D Wow, what a night! I smell "legendary" in the air... or is it Bosco?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Sep 07, 2015, 16:55

OOOOH EMMM GGEEEE!!!!!  :o

You guys and girls were invited for/to a beer and a trailer visit? Are you kidding me? You got Realed! REEAAAALeD!
You folks get KRED from me! Muchos KREDOS!

Would you say they were creeped out by you, Geeoff, and possiblby won't invite any fans ever again to their backstage area?
Only they can answer. I was quite excited and tried to be respectful as best as I could. Probably came off as a freak though.

Quote from: androidgeoff on Sep 07, 2015, 17:04

Only they can answer. I was quite excited and tried to be respectful as best as I could. Probably came off as a freak though.
I see it right before my eyes: You keep on raving about them and their music, asking book length questions, and Tom, Adam and Erroll (who was responsible for this misjudged decision to let you in) showing you politely but firmly to the door, sighing in deep relief when the door slams shut :D.
That's probably how it would happen to me if I met them.

Btw, did anyone of you get to take pics?

BBTW: Kudos to you giving the crew credit too! It must have felt good to be recognized just once when you're behind the scenes! I guess this doesn't happen a lot!
Last Edit: Sep 07, 2015, 17:18 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)

Rad!!! I am so so happy for you all!

This is seriously the cherry on top. How exciting! I am truly thrilled for you guys. You're gonna be buzzing off this for weeks!

They are so good to their fans. Stuff like this makes me love the Chems and everyone they surround themselves with even more.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

What an incredible experience! I'm super chuffed for you all.

I definitely have a bit of a contact hi from your review Geoff. How freakin' amazing are those lads.

Yay life!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

My mind is totally blown for you guys!  Kicking It in the trailer with Tom and Adam and Errol while drinking! Perfect night all the way!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Thanks for the read and congratulations on your experience! I'm sure your grandchildren will hate you for telling them this story over and over.

I will dad joke them into oblivion with "YOU ARE ALL MY GRANDCHILDREN NOOWWW"

@android
So you mean to tell me you snuck past the railing, then security, just to get to Errol? Did you go full Solid Snake , you know, hang in the shadows and waiting to make your move, in a cardboard box? :)

What were these questions that you asked them BTW? Did you find out if 'drums' is ever gonna come out?

Nooooo
Everyone cleared out of the VIP area and security was incredibly relaxed by that point. I just used it as a vantage point, instead of hoping to see Errol from down low. Nobody cared that I went up at all. Aside from the initial scooch, the security was incredibly relaxed and nice.  The festival did a great job at controlling everything, overall.

Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

I suppose putting a review into words requires a bit of context.  This was my fourth time seeing them.  Like the three previous shows, I drove up to Chicago from Cincinnati.  The difference this time around was knowing I was doing the drive, place to stay, and the festival alone.  I was kind of worried about this, but things tend to work out just fine (  ;) ).  The other potential difference was that I was planning on experiencing the show picturing myself on a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies...but we'll get to that...

I couldn't sleep the night before due to an insane level of anticipation.  I got, maybe, 5 1/2 hours of sleep.  Got up at 6:30 est, had breakfast, and left at 8am.  After the detour that prevented me from taking 65 N (which apparently was no longer an issue later in the day  >:(  ), I arrived at my hostel around 1:30 cst.  I didn't take a bus down to Union Park until close to 4 due to me wanting absolutely nothing with being out in the heat just yet.  With this in mind, I stopped at the Cobra Lounge for a good beer and a shot of tequila.  I was LOVING the classic Jamaican and English ska they were playing.  Also, there was a Riot Fest red (and yes, Bitchin) Camero with a John Stamos cardboard cuttout in the driver's seat. 

Jesus, it was hot.  Couldn't believe people were wearing furry hats and costumes in that shit.  Met a couple of girls who were dressed like Louise (I recognized the bunny ears immediately) and Tina from Bob's Burgers.  And yes, they were sisters.  I was thankful they at least had Newcastle (as previously stated, I am with Dennis Hopper on Heiniken).  Did I mention it was hot all freaking hell out?

Future Rock was fun, Green Velvet hit the spot.  Speaking of...

I went to a port a potty to get something that was hidden in my wallet out (I could have done this in the crowd, in the daylight, but I kind of like to be safely on the dl).  I carefully opened my a little piece of gum foil and promptly dropped the tiny paper square (cue Luke Skywalker, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...).  Fun fact:  At North Coast 2010 I also lost this item.  I ask, is it more irresponsible to partake in the occasional psychedelic experience or to lose a key ingredient before seeing one of your favorite artists...twice?!?   Anyway, I admit it.  I spent almost five minutes carefully examining the floor of the potapotty.  Then I pictured my Mom seeing me and not only being disappointed in my lifestyle, but the fact that I would actually consider eating something off the freaking floor of the freaking portapotty!  I have to admit, this situation bummed me out a little.  However, I was over it shortly later.  One does not need to alter one's mind to appreciate good (and mind altering) music.  If you can't appreciate an amazing set without being fucked up, you need to check yo self.  Also, if things would have gone to plan I might not have been standing where I was when the show ended...

I thought Portugal The Man sounded boring, so I moved on to Tycho (in their defense, I gave them about two minutes.  Sorry).  Tycho was really freaking cool.  I understand why a few people have been telling me to check them out for a couple years now.  Atmosphere was alright.  Loved the "Lucy Ford" and "G.L.U." throwbacks.  That said, I wish I would have seen them about 15 years ago and it is crazy that I never did seeing how Cincinnati was home to Scribble Jam.  Also, they could have end a little sooner...

Turn off your mic so we can relax and float down stream...

I was just about center, a few rows of people in front of the sound board.  Crowd seemed pretty into it, at least around me.  Then again, it really is hard to say, or just how big of a crowd it was.  My perception of these things cannot be verified because I was 101% into the show.  Apparently, there were others equally invested just a bit behind me...

I'm glad that my naughtiness stopped at the earliest setlist and reading reviews.  I knew how it began, how it ended, and random contents in between.  I didn't watch a single bit of footage and knew nothing about transitions, blends, and surprise snippets. 

And Here We Go...

HBHG really is a great way to launch (and I mean just take right off!) a set.  It isn't CWU or WATN, but it does the trick.  DIA really isn't one of those tracks I seek out deliberately, but hot damn! it moves you.  EML Ritual is a bad motherfucker live and visually creepy.  Go was fun and bit nasty in a good way at times.  Swoon into SG is always gorgeous, even if I really miss Temptation.  As previously stated, SIFD makes so much more sense live.  Then coming ever so faintly is that Commodores break.  Just the "Ugh!" at first.  I start to fucking lose it.  Chemical Beats has me dancing more than I already was.  Fucking excellent acid house indeed.  Speaking of...oh shit, is that EBW 7?  With Setting Fucking Sun?  The transition into OOC must have been pretty damn seamless or I was just that into the moment when it was played, because I didn't even realize it was played until after the show when somebody pointed it out to me.  I wish I remembered who, but It Doesn't Matter...I really miss Believe being saturated, but those drums are a great way of getting from the euphoric blasts of exploding paint to the crazy clown looking dude who still uses a land line.  ELECTROFUCKINGBANK!!!!!!  So glad to hear it back and crazier than all shit.  Jesus, the pitch on the Keith Murray sample.  Speaking of drums and bonkers, ISYT was as amazing as I expected it to be.  Visually, aurally, etc.  Ah, there's Believe.  Still a vicious ass kicking beast that will destroy you.  But everything will be okay because Acid Father is here!!!  TSU!!!!!!!!!!  Just pure bliss.  And into EV?  boom!  Sometime during EV (Fog is obviously very effective at masking set changes or additions), the robots appeared.  UTI!!!  Crazy fucking acid line!  Giant Fucking Robots Shooting Fucking Lasers From Their Eyes!!!  The Time Has Come To keep the visuals for Galvanize.  Really cool looking.  BRB with a Giant Disco Ball! 

After the show, the pretty cute girl I was next to who also was pretty into the show told me I was the most awesome person to be next to.  I'm talking to her for a few and then in come the cock blockers (jk, I think she was on her way anayway).  Apparently, I was right by the entire time White Noise, Bosco, & Android.  Talking for a few minutes, next thing I know I'm told we're going backstage.  WHAT?  SERIOUSLY?  I meet Errol (who I actually think is the other Errol.  My bad, had no idea it was that common of a Turkish name) and then...OMFG TOM AND ADAM???  WAIT, WE'RE GOING IN THE TRAILER???  I am still glinted. 

So glad I got to meet you guys, which I would have been if it ended in front of the sound board.  Errol is the fucking man and Tom and Adam are just so freaking gracious and generous. 

Love Is All.

Also, Jose makes me look really fucking lazy. 

Brian, I'm happy we met up.

Since you have a healthy written review, I'll assume you made it back to Cincinnati ok. I felt bad dragging you further south on our walk back to my car, I was afraid I would have gotten you lost. But you kept insisting you would find your way. I apologize I didn't have extra space to give you a lift back to your hostel. I worry too much...

Additionally, I'm in idiot. I should have put my review in this thread, but I thought it was Androidgeoff's personal review thread. Here is a link to mine in the other thread for archival sake to keep the two Chicago threads forever intertwined.

http://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,67.msg3810.html#msg3810

^ no worries, brother.   I am usually comfortable in large cities, especially cities I have been in as much as Chicago.  See you again at The Orb or in late October when the Cubs win the goddamned world series! 

Quote from: Born In Planet Dust on Sep 08, 2015, 18:30

I suppose putting a review into words requires a bit of context.  This was my fourth time seeing them.  Like the three previous shows, I drove up to Chicago from Cincinnati.  The difference this time around was knowing I was doing the drive, place to stay, and the festival alone.  I was kind of worried about this, but things tend to work out just fine (  ;) ).  The other potential difference was that I was planning on experiencing the show picturing myself on a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies...but we'll get to that...

I couldn't sleep the night before due to an insane level of anticipation.  I got, maybe, 5 1/2 hours of sleep.  Got up at 6:30 est, had breakfast, and left at 8am.  After the detour that prevented me from taking 65 N (which apparently was no longer an issue later in the day  >:(  ), I arrived at my hostel around 1:30 cst.  I didn't take a bus down to Union Park until close to 4 due to me wanting absolutely nothing with being out in the heat just yet.  With this in mind, I stopped at the Cobra Lounge for a good beer and a shot of tequila.  I was LOVING the classic Jamaican and English ska they were playing.  Also, there was a Riot Fest red (and yes, Bitchin) Camero with a John Stamos cardboard cuttout in the driver's seat. 

Jesus, it was hot.  Couldn't believe people were wearing furry hats and costumes in that shit.  Met a couple of girls who were dressed like Louise (I recognized the bunny ears immediately) and Tina from Bob's Burgers.  And yes, they were sisters.  I was thankful they at least had Newcastle (as previously stated, I am with Dennis Hopper on Heiniken).  Did I mention it was hot all freaking hell out?

Future Rock was fun, Green Velvet hit the spot.  Speaking of...

I went to a port a potty to get something that was hidden in my wallet out (I could have done this in the crowd, in the daylight, but I kind of like to be safely on the dl).  I carefully opened my a little piece of gum foil and promptly dropped the tiny paper square (cue Luke Skywalker, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...).  Fun fact:  At North Coast 2010 I also lost this item.  I ask, is it more irresponsible to partake in the occasional psychedelic experience or to lose a key ingredient before seeing one of your favorite artists...twice?!?   Anyway, I admit it.  I spent almost five minutes carefully examining the floor of the potapotty.  Then I pictured my Mom seeing me and not only being disappointed in my lifestyle, but the fact that I would actually consider eating something off the freaking floor of the freaking portapotty!  I have to admit, this situation bummed me out a little.  However, I was over it shortly later.  One does not need to alter one's mind to appreciate good (and mind altering) music.  If you can't appreciate an amazing set without being fucked up, you need to check yo self.  Also, if things would have gone to plan I might not have been standing where I was when the show ended...

I thought Portugal The Man sounded boring, so I moved on to Tycho (in their defense, I gave them about two minutes.  Sorry).  Tycho was really freaking cool.  I understand why a few people have been telling me to check them out for a couple years now.  Atmosphere was alright.  Loved the "Lucy Ford" and "G.L.U." throwbacks.  That said, I wish I would have seen them about 15 years ago and it is crazy that I never did seeing how Cincinnati was home to Scribble Jam.  Also, they could have end a little sooner...

Turn off your mic so we can relax and float down stream...

I was just about center, a few rows of people in front of the sound board.  Crowd seemed pretty into it, at least around me.  Then again, it really is hard to say, or just how big of a crowd it was.  My perception of these things cannot be verified because I was 101% into the show.  Apparently, there were others equally invested just a bit behind me...

I'm glad that my naughtiness stopped at the earliest setlist and reading reviews.  I knew how it began, how it ended, and random contents in between.  I didn't watch a single bit of footage and knew nothing about transitions, blends, and surprise snippets. 

And Here We Go...

HBHG really is a great way to launch (and I mean just take right off!) a set.  It isn't CWU or WATN, but it does the trick.  DIA really isn't one of those tracks I seek out deliberately, but hot damn! it moves you.  EML Ritual is a bad motherfucker live and visually creepy.  Go was fun and bit nasty in a good way at times.  Swoon into SG is always gorgeous, even if I really miss Temptation.  As previously stated, SIFD makes so much more sense live.  Then coming ever so faintly is that Commodores break.  Just the "Ugh!" at first.  I start to fucking lose it.  Chemical Beats has me dancing more than I already was.  Fucking excellent acid house indeed.  Speaking of...oh shit, is that EBW 7?  With Setting Fucking Sun?  The transition into OOC must have been pretty damn seamless or I was just that into the moment when it was played, because I didn't even realize it was played until after the show when somebody pointed it out to me.  I wish I remembered who, but It Doesn't Matter...I really miss Believe being saturated, but those drums are a great way of getting from the euphoric blasts of exploding paint to the crazy clown looking dude who still uses a land line.  ELECTROFUCKINGBANK!!!!!!  So glad to hear it back and crazier than all shit.  Jesus, the pitch on the Keith Murray sample.  Speaking of drums and bonkers, ISYT was as amazing as I expected it to be.  Visually, aurally, etc.  Ah, there's Believe.  Still a vicious ass kicking beast that will destroy you.  But everything will be okay because Acid Father is here!!!  TSU!!!!!!!!!!  Just pure bliss.  And into EV?  boom!  Sometime during EV (Fog is obviously very effective at masking set changes or additions), the robots appeared.  UTI!!!  Crazy fucking acid line!  Giant Fucking Robots Shooting Fucking Lasers From Their Eyes!!!  The Time Has Come To keep the visuals for Galvanize.  Really cool looking.  BRB with a Giant Disco Ball! 

After the show, the pretty cute girl I was next to who also was pretty into the show told me I was the most awesome person to be next to.  I'm talking to her for a few and then in come the cock blockers (jk, I think she was on her way anayway).  Apparently, I was right by the entire time White Noise, Bosco, & Android.  Talking for a few minutes, next thing I know I'm told we're going backstage.  WHAT?  SERIOUSLY?  I meet Errol (who I actually think is the other Errol.  My bad, had no idea it was that common of a Turkish name) and then...OMFG TOM AND ADAM???  WAIT, WE'RE GOING IN THE TRAILER???  I am still glinted. 

So glad I got to meet you guys, which I would have been if it ended in front of the sound board.  Errol is the fucking man and Tom and Adam are just so freaking gracious and generous. 

Love Is All.

Congrats on your 4th show BIPD! I enjoyed your review and meeting up with the forumites. I too am jealous of you guys on your meet up with T and A and E.