Free Yourself

the We Love Underworld thread

Started by WhiteNoise, Sep 11, 2015, 15:35

Previous topic - Next topic
A topic dedicated to the second greatest electronic act in the world. Or should I say... second toughest?

Remastered super deluxe edition of Second Toughest In The Infants coming out on November 20th! No official announcement but it looks as though it was accidentally added to the iTunes and Underworld Live stores early, so the info is out. 1 album + 3 bonus discs of b-sides and unreleased tracks, plus one disc detailing the writing process of Born Slippy from early demos to final track, including a lot of early live jams from 94. More info here:

http://www.borndirty.org/2015/09/second-toughest-in-the-infants-2015-deluxesuper-deluxe/

No word on a Second Toughest tour, which I am currently salivating just thinking about!!!

In other Underworld news, Karl Hyde did a show for 6music playing music he listens to in his trailer after a show, it's really good and almost 100% non-electronic too. And word is that Underworld is currently working on a new Lemonworld broadcast - radio shows where they (usually along with Darren Price) play live jams of classics, demos of new songs, live jams of demos of new songs, tracks they love, and themselves, answering chatroom questions and babbling on about nonsense. They're amazing. They did a ton during the Riverrun series and build up to Oblivion With Bells, and they're all wonderful to listen to. And with them working on a new album, expect to hear some early versions of new tunes in the mix.
Last Edit: Sep 11, 2015, 15:44 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

That's an exciting release, worthy of a spot on the old CD shelf.

I know the Chemical Brothers don't look backwards...but I really wish the early Dust Brothers EPs and remixes were remastered along with the first few official albums and singles.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

AHHHDJFJHYEJJILKLJKJ!!!!!HFJKH!!!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

!!!!!!!!!

:o

!

EDIT: OK. I'm calm now.

This is amazing news. I honestly wasn't expecting it so soon (or at all because I didn't want to get my hopes up).
Juanita and Pearl's Girl are two of my favourite songs of all time. The Pearl's Girl EP has some of their best B Sides on. And Second Toughest is nothing short of a masterpiece.
Rick and Karl (and Darren(s)) can have all my money, whenever they want it.

I am SO THERE for the performance too. WN, you must come to the UK to see them at the Royal Festival Hall if they play there again. It was magical.

The Lemonworld broadcasts would be great. The demos they put out during the Riverrun run up were excellent. Particularly Rick's ambient pieces with weird vocal samples and automated voices. Top top top tunes.
Last Edit: Sep 11, 2015, 16:45 by Enjoyed
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Sep 11, 2015, 16:35

I am SO THERE for the performance too. WN, you must come to the UK to see them at the Royal Festival Hall if they play there again. It was magical.

The Lemonworld broadcasts would be great. The demos they put out during the Riverrun run up were excellent. Particularly Rick's ambient pieces with weird vocal samples and automated voices. Top top top tunes.

When/if it happens, my ass is there. This is a hardcore, bucket list, regret-it-for-the-rest-of-my-life-if-I-don't-see-it kind of thing. Even if I end up completely broke. Second Toughest is literally #1 on my desert island discs list.

If my like for The Chemical Brothers can be represented as the number 100, my like for Underworld can be represented as 99.9999999999 repeating eternally. Essentially the exact same number, but there is an instinctual if not technically correct difference between the two declaring Chems as better. If I really had to think about it, I might be a slightly bigger Chems fan simply because you fellow fans are awesome, while Underworld fans tend to be a little bit of a closed off and introverted heady bunch.

I wasn't expecting it this early either, considering Second Toughest is technically a 1996 release. Maybe that's just because they plan to tour in 2016... I need to get a job.

And damn Enjoyed. I was looking forward to sharing some weird Underworld demos / b-sides / couch tracks with you but you might know as much as I do! Those Lemonworld broadcasts are kind of an Underworld fan secret handshake. Are you on RTSR?

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Sep 11, 2015, 18:22
If my like for The Chemical Brothers can be represented as the number 100, my like for Underworld can be represented as 99.9999999999 repeating eternally. Essentially the exact same number, but there is an instinctual if not technically correct difference between the two declaring Chems as better. If I really had to think about it, I might be a slightly bigger Chems fan simply because you fellow fans are awesome, while Underworld fans tend to be a little bit of a closed off and introverted heady bunch

This is EXACTLY how I feel. Depending on my mood I will tell people that my favourite band is either Chems or Underworld. Having only ever seen UW live once though, I feel more of a connection to the Chems (although Karl did come to see me at a show I played a couple of years back... Literally a jaw dropping moment - not unlike your amazing North Coast evening!).

I am not a member of RTSR. I've never known anyone to ask to be invited. I would love to hear anything you think I've not heard though. There is sure to be a fair amount.

Also, you can totally crash at mine if and when the time comes. Though if it's at the end of this year I will still be in the states, which poses a bit of a funding problem...

I really, really love Second Toughest. It's also my jump on point to my love with Underworld. The love ended however with Barking on which I refused to go to the live show.

But this deluxe version of Second Toughest sounds really awesome. And I really hope they will do a tour with that. Pearls girl and Rowla are still my favourite Underworld tracks.

This would make me want to bust out every bit of my Underworld if I wasn't already on an obsessive REM kick.  On a related note, I would like to thank Trump and Cruz for reminding me the reason I have always adored this band. 

Back on topic, "Second Toughest In The Infants" is the high point of Underworld's career.  Infants > Bass > Years > Fish > Barking (never heard bells or the first two). 

Oh... My... Lovely... Dear... Holy... God...  :o. This was one of those albums that struck me when I was a kid, sublime beautiful sounds coming out of the speakers sunday morning listening to this, it is gorgeous. Oh man, great news.

When "Dubnobasswithmyheadman" remastered was announced never thought they could come up with moves like this, looks like Karl and Hyde are giving out treasures for people to familiarize and learn some history of one of the best electronic acts ever.

And there's something very peculiar, its that, Underworld seems to be remastering their work chronologically, think about it, first  "Dubnobasswithmyheadman" and know their second  great piece of electronica/techno work. If they are keeping it up this way, maybe we could get "Beaucoup Fish" and "A Hundred Days Off " getting some love treatment aswell, and man... that would be something.

Quote from: satur8 on Sep 11, 2015, 15:50

That's an exciting release, worthy of a spot on the old CD shelf.

I know the Chemical Brothers don't look backwards...but I really wish the early Dust Brothers EPs and remixes were remastered along with the first few official albums and singles.
That'd be a great great thing! Imagine having the 14th Century and Mercury Mouth EP remastered, let alone EPD etc.

As for Underworld, I just realized I never really followed them. That ought to be changed as the live footage sounds really sublime.
Last Edit: Sep 12, 2015, 09:05 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

My favourite UW b side:

I love me some Underworld.

I'm excited for this!

Yes very skied! This is my dancing in the Tokyo rain album. Absolute fav! If there's a tour I'll be there. Oh btw! On Karl Hyde's last radio segment on 6 music he "slipped" & stated something about a new album!? :D

Sixty five English pounds have been handed over to the boys for the beautiful looking 4cd set.

Opening it up at home will be the only reason to leave the US when my 90 days are up.

That and the law, I guess.

skyscraper

i love you

Underworld is my 3rd favorite electronic act. For me, it goes Chem Bros > Orbital > Underworld.

What impresses me most about Underworld is their transformation from 80s Band to 90s electronic act. The fact that their last 3 albums have not been awful, with songs such as
(one of my favorite Underworld songs of all time) has kept my respect high.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, also

Beaucoup Fish is in my top 10 albums of all time. Sorry, Kanye. My favorite song is Kittens, which is perfect, since I love cats to the nth degree.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S SUDDENLY OFFICIAL

http://underworld.tmstor.es/

New Underworld album "Barbara Barbara, we face a shining future" announced. Available for pre-order. Out 18th March 2016.

AHHHH

Two minute preview:

https://soundcloud.com/underworld/underworld-shining-future-part-1/s-3wbvu

This is new. I don't know what to make of it.

Really exciting news to see.

Listened to the preview, and didn't like the first track. Liked the second track. And was ambivalent about the third. Not bad.

I'm interested to hear the songs as a whole, but skeptical so far.

Exciting moments of music we are living, Underworld is back again.  From what I heard, Underworld is taking a softer direction this time, more relaxing music, but I could be wrong.

Can't wait for the complete tracklist and hear how everything will blend together.