The Brothers Gonna Work It Out

the We Love Underworld thread

Started by WhiteNoise, Sep 11, 2015, 15:35

Previous topic - Next topic
today marks my first time listening to them, Just started listening to their 2016 set at glastonbury. I had no Idea they made Dark train (which I heard as a background track to a prank call video in 2013) :music
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

What a journey you're about to embark on! Huzzah!

The first time I properly listened to them was the live album 'Everything, Everything' (still my favourite album of all time). That was kind of an accident on my part, I just grabbed the first album I saw with Born Slippy on it (Fatboy opened his Big Beach Boutique with it in 2002) and ended up discovering their album stuff afterwards. It's interesting that you'd head straight to their live show to get a feel. Very cool.

Let us know what you think!

Oh, also, keep your eyes peeled during that set for a guy dressed as a giraffe in the audience.
That's me!
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

1 month into my journey with underworld and Man its a trip, favorite song is King of snakes, a good song to blast on my laptop, when playing a game of Wipeout on my friends PlayStation, that he had since he was 7, when Im over at his house

Heres the video I was talking about (that had dark train:
Spoiler

Warning: heavy Language
no suprise considering its joe pesci
Last Edit: Dec 11, 2017, 08:21 by Conn6orsuper117
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

Karl Hyde of Underworld shares his musical milestones with Matt Everitt in a programme first broadcast in 2016.
Karl Hyde is one half of one of the world's greatest electronic bands. Their lyrics are an essential part of their music, and their anthems can fill a club dancefloor, their albums move the mind as much as the feet. They're also as much of a live spectacle as any rock band.
Karl looks back to the start of his musical history - his early passions growing up in Worcester, his first gigs and influences. He also talks about meeting his future Underworld partner Rick Smith and their search to find a creative identity. He also talks about Underworld's first shows, and how they became the acclaimed outfit they are today - taking in the iconic Born Slippy (which had its roots in Karl's own issues with alcohol abuse), through sound-tracking the London 2012 Olympic opening ceremony and their 2016 album Barbara Barbara, We Face a Shining Future.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06ssl0p
no idea, no idea

While we're on the theme of 6 music shows... Karl was on Shaun Keaveny's show last week, talking about what's coming up.  You'll find him just after the 2 hr mark.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09rd9wy
Last Edit: Feb 22, 2018, 21:47 by graysquire

Technically new music!

Weird. Am excited. Reminds me of Riverrun or the underworldlive stuff they'd put out randomly like 020202 or Phonestrap / Autotrader.
Never for money, always for love.

They're definitely up to something. Karl is posting little excerpts of writing almost every day. There are certainly some creative juices flowing!

Quote from: Enjoyed on Mar 15, 2018, 19:10

They're definitely up to something. Karl is posting little excerpts of writing almost every day. There are certainly some creative juices flowing!

They'll be rolling out a new album this summer.

Has anybody seen or at least heard the show? Was there any new stuff?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Apr 04, 2018, 22:36

Has anybody seen or at least heard the show? Was there any new stuff?
I haven't, but looking at the Underworld fan forum (and setlist FM) it appears they didn't play any new tracks at Sonar Reykjavik.

Tracks played:
I Exhale
Juanita
Dark Train
Two Months Off
King of Snake
Ova Nova
Nylon Strung
Push Upstairs
Kittens
Jumbo
Low Burn
Rez
Cowgirl
Born Slippy .NUXX
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Yeah. They reportedly soundchecked new music but played none of it.

New Underworld track "Brilliant Yes That Would Be":

I am AT WORK AND CANNOT LISTEN TO IT but it looks like it was uploaded multiple times, with various region locks, and then taken down or made unavailable - maybe by mistake, the Youtube channel is one of those automated services.

Edit: It's on Spotify

Edit edit: But only kind of. I guess it officially releases tomorrow and it's rolling out a bit weirdly on all the platforms.

That one is hopefully available to all.

Did someone request some new Riverrun ambient jams?
Yummy Ricky.

Heard it on the live stream but had to take care of something, so I'm going to delve back into the set when it's uploaded.

There's also the worldofunderworld, which sounds very cool and interesting until you realise it's just 4 Spotify playlists...
They talk about sprinkling out new music though, like that video above, I guess they're less interested in working on an album right now and would rather just release stuff as and when. I'm OK with that, but I would much prefer another full collection.

Hopes firmly pinned back on Tom & Ed!

re: iggy pop collab, Underworld had a lot of enthusiasm playing it out live, and I liked listening to it.

It's at least interesting, an it has some pretty fantastic visuals to the track.

I wished I had bought this Born Slippy shirt that was on Yahoo Auctions Japan, but sold for 10,500 JPY!!

YAJ Link

Is there a photo? Can't seem to find one on the link.

Been meaning to make a shirt with "SHOUTING LAGER LAGER LAGER" in big block letters down the front. For parties of course.