Who's Hungry?

ChemBase Wiki - aka The Chemical Database

Started by WhiteNoise, Sep 26, 2015, 16:27

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey guys,

In about week's time I'll be going live with a Chemical Brothers Wikia to be hosted on this site, for any and all information about The Chemical Brothers to be collected, archived and obsessed over. Everything Wikipedia won't accept because it's not notable or doesn't fit their guidelines, including unsubstantiated rumors, hearsay etc., things and people tangentially related to The Chemical Brothers (like Kate Gibb or musicians they've collaborated with), even meta stuff about the forum's history and fanbase (Planet Dust, burrito explosions, K+D+B being godlike and everything inbetween). A casual and comprehensive Chemical wiki.

For example, I've had a demo Wikia up for the last two years where I've collected information:

http://chemicaldatabase.wikia.com (and so far Bosco and a random editor have been the only people to find it!).

In addition to that I have a large folder of archived interviews and files on my harddrive, which I'll be making public here soon.

Those Who Is Adam / Who Is Kate topics you guys made are also perfect for this kind of thing.

I've hesitated a little on going live with this trying to decide and set a precedent on how we'll categorize the information, and what we will or won't add (for example, a complete discography would be overkill with Discogs existing, but a concise guide to different versions of releases that's easier to navigate/read than Discogs would be more than welcome), but I figure these things are much better decided as a group!

Over the next week I will be installing, configuring, and modding the CSS. It should be live by next weekend. Making this post to get you all think about what can and should be added, as this will definitely be a group venture to get the wiki filled with everything we can think of, and what rules (if any) we should follow in the collection of the information. Also I find telling people that I'm going to do something tends to get my ass in gear about doing it.*

Thanks!

*Except apparently when it comes to doing reviews.  :P
Last Edit: Sep 26, 2015, 16:39 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

Sweeeeeeet
My only contribution would be opinions
and nobody wants to hear opinions
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Android, you're in charge of archiving the beer they drink

This looks dauntingly GRAND!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

What a brilliant brilliant idea. I wonder if it would be possible to try and list all the past gigs and dates (or as many as possible)?

Quote from: ACIDCHILDREN on Sep 27, 2015, 08:30

What a brilliant brilliant idea. I wonder if it would be possible to try and list all the past gigs and dates (or as many as possible)?
That's one of my biggest goals. Comprehensive gigography with notes on any setlists we have unique info about.

I can offer my synth nerd insight if needed. I was thinking recently of doing a post chronicling their live equipment setup over the years. I'd be quite an undertaking and take a little while.

That sounds awesome. I'm planning on having a page dedicated to each year of touring, and rundowns of their live setup at that time would be ridiculously welcome there.

Awesome, it'll give me an excuse to watch live footage!

Quote from: Biff on Sep 27, 2015, 16:03

I can offer my synth nerd insight if needed. I was thinking recently of doing a post chronicling their live equipment setup over the years. I'd be quite an undertaking and take a little while.
If you need help, message me !

Quote from: Ben_j on Sep 27, 2015, 21:51

If you need help, message me !
Cheers, we can probably put out a good list of info.

hey, i am doing a presentation about the chemical brothers, can some one please help me by answering some of my questions, they are;

Why did they start music?

What got them interested?

How did they get together?

Thanks

a comprehensive list of the remixes would be great. hard to find a defintive list.

Goes live tomorrow night. Had some upload issues.

Sweet. I think I might have almost all of them.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sup guys!

Sorry for having to revive this thread again, but me and the lads on the discord server have thought of making a wiki involving the chems until we remembered that this one already exists.

You don't have to, but we would love if y'all could help us with some editing and adding information on some parts of the wiki, as well as the main admin of the page by helping us allow access to the main page, as we can't edit it for now :/.

Here's the link in case you want to help us and thank you all in advance :)
https://chemicaldatabase.fandom.com/wiki/The_Chemical_Database_Wiki

Insomnia.

Hi Zesty,

yeah, the Chems wiki... It was a great idea that never came to real fruition. Unfortunately, I'm afraid to tell you that this site is most likely not going to be developed any further for reasons I cannot share.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

We can make the new one with the address wiki.thechembase.com on MediaWiki or DokuWiki engine where everyone can freely contribute some information.
Hi Kevin!

I support the discord posse and other volunteers to make this happen. If you got the time to do it, I think it's a noble contribution.

There is a lot of fun-facts about the band that previous wiki creator gathered, it would be shame to let that just be forgotten in time.

It's not much, but I got a pretty long list of unofficial North American Dates that could be documented. I don't have the knowledge or familiarity to search a complete global gigography, but would find it highly interesting to know where they've been throughout their career, especially the early years.

Hey Zesty. I just gave you (and whoever else contributed an edit in the last few days) full admin access over the Wikia. Go ham! Feel free to keep editing over there.

Or put together a locally hosted wiki here. I think working with the existing Wikia will be easiest for you, when it comes to customizing design, and the fact it already has plenty of information filled into it. It also might have better search engine ranking at this point. However you might have some more advanced customization, the ability to get rid of ads, and you'd finally give TheChemBase name it's real context if you work with Explud to build one here. Just make sure y'all have someone who understands HTML/CSS so you can redesign the theme and make it feel Chemical.

I'm just not going to be involved in it; for personal reasons I'm not the fan I used to be. The enthusiasm's gone and though it feels absolutely bizarre to say for something that used to be my passion, I am better off leaving it all behind.

Here is a Mega link for my archive, a collection of unsorted Chemical nonsense I've been keeping since I first got involved here, so like 2009. It's messy and not comprehensive and filled with stuff but I am sure you'll find some cool stuff in there. There was a period where I collected and typed up interviews and magazine articles, a collection of interview CDs, videos ripped from YT, odd press photos, a guide to Ben's legendary old lives server, and loads more:

Take this brother, may it serve you well.

I also have a few forum posts I've made over the years on unreleased songs, alternate versions, that sort of thing, that you ought to dig up. I think they'll help tremendously with adding info.

https://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,1043.msg12422.html
https://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,1590.msg18621.html
https://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,309.msg3255.html#msg3255

Last Edit: Jul 21, 2022, 23:26 by WhiteNoise