Further

Sports !

Started by Ben_j, Oct 13, 2015, 18:11

Previous topic - Next topic
Congrats to Hideki Matsuyama for winning The Masters. I'm not a a big golf fan, but his victory is a great story heading into the Tokyo Summer Olympics this year. I would imagine it's between him and Ichiro Suzuki getting the honor to light Tokyo's Olympic flame.

https://twitter.com/GolfDigest/status/1381386325555822595?s=20

(trying to link you the Japanese call on 18, but I fail to embed twitter link)
Last Edit: Apr 12, 2021, 04:57 by Bosco

Quote from: Ben_j on Mar 11, 2018, 00:12

Yeah I screamed when he failed to kick out of play. We already lost to England two years ago because of something like this.

Eh. Funny how we repeat the same mistake over and over again. (cf France v Scotland a few weeks ago)

(Euros 2020)

Christian Eriksen for Denmark collapsed on the pitch and is receiving CPR

This is fucking scary as hell

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 12, 2021, 16:54

(Euros 2020)

Christian Eriksen for Denmark collapsed on the pitch and is receiving CPR

This is fucking scary as hell
Thankfully he's conscious and stable. The fast response of the medical team and the good reflexes of his teammates probably saved him.

I was watching live and I was really shockd. You don't expect to see this in a football game.

Btw what kind of asshole was directing the live feed ? They showed multiple times Eriksen getting CPR and his wife crying on the pitch...

16 min in ENG VS CRO
gawds, our boys suck  :-[
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: Ben_j on Jun 12, 2021, 18:51

Thankfully he's conscious and stable. The fast response of the medical team and the good reflexes of his teammates probably saved him.

I was watching live and I was really shockd. You don't expect to see this in a football game.

Eerily, my sisters girl friend, 37 years old and of good health, passed away do to a heart attack just weeks ago. She was taking a shower and collapsed suddenly, she made it to hospital but her heart eventually gave. She had a husband and two young kids. Pretty damn tragic, especially after the bullshit of this last year.

Seeing this happen live on TV had my head spinning.

When finding out the best french player is Hummels  :-[
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 13, 2021, 19:18

Eerily, my sisters girl friend, 37 years old and of good health, passed away do to a heart attack just weeks ago. She was taking a shower and collapsed suddenly, she made it to hospital but her heart eventually gave. She had a husband and two young kids. Pretty damn tragic, especially after the bullshit of this last year.

Seeing this happen live on TV had my head spinning.
Oh fuck, Bosco, that's just devastating. My heart goes out to your sister and friends. it's beyond imagination what they're going through right now. What a bullshit two years this has been...
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: ThePumisher on Jun 16, 2021, 08:03

When finding out the best french player is Hummels  :-[
You're being harsh, the whole French midfield and defense was fantastic. Pogba, especially, was a monster. I hope he keeps that level all through the tournament (and I hope the attack is a bit more efficient next time).

I've been watching almost every Euro game, and so far, I'm pleasantly surprised by Italy and England. They could be interesting challengers (Italy even more when Veratti comes back).
On the other end, Germany and Spain seemed pretty weak, compared to what they used to be

Quote from: Ben_j on Jun 17, 2021, 08:32

On the other end, Germany and Spain seemed pretty weak, compared to what they used to be
The german team is weak since after we did it in 2014
no idea, no idea

Did anyone notice this ?

Quote from: Ben_j on Jun 17, 2021, 16:57

Did anyone notice this ?

Kevin De Bruyne innit!

https://twitter.com/BelRedDevils/status/1405580666851442693
https://twitter.com/premierleague/status/1405579857283719182
^ 2nd tweet didn't embed.
Type KDB into twitter and you'll find lots of people gushing over De Bruyne.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

So I don't watch a ton of Football/Soccer, and I'm not super sharp on the rules. But can anyone explain to me how Belgiums first Goal was not offside?

Lukaku makes a great cross pass to De Bruyne who then assists for Belgiums first goal, meanwhile Lukaku is beyond the defenders and runs out of bounds before the goal is scored. Is running out of play the the nullifier for offsides?

Quote from: Bosco on Jun 17, 2021, 20:30

So I don't watch a ton of Football/Soccer, and I'm not super sharp on the rules. But can anyone explain to me how Belgiums first Goal was not offside?

Lukaku makes a great cross pass to De Bruyne who then assists for Belgiums first goal, meanwhile Lukaku is beyond the defenders and runs out of bounds before the goal is scored. Is running out of play the the nullifier for offsides?
In football, the ball has to cross the line, not the player, like in Basketball or Rugby. Hazard was not offside, he was covered by a Danish player, as the VAR images showed a little later during the game.

Edit: i just understood what you meant after watching the goal again.
Offside only applies to players who are in the action. Receiving a pass (obviously) or being in the way of an opponent that might defend on the one who receives the pass should be called. Lukaku on the other end was far from the action and not impeding anyone, so there was nothing to call there. This is why you will often see players who clearly know they're offside raise their arms and clearly be passive or let the ball go, if one of their teammates who is not offside has a chance to get the ball and go to the goal
Last Edit: Jun 17, 2021, 21:38 by Ben_j

thanks Ben J, makes sense.

I caught this clip (fast forward to 1 minute mark) which helps visualizes it too.

Man, where's Mats Hummels when you need him ?

Quote from: Ben_j on Jun 19, 2021, 14:14

Man, where's Mats Hummels when you need him ?
doing some goals for portugal
no idea, no idea

Watching as a neutral, the Mbappé penalty in Portugal v France just now was a big NO from me.
Shocking decision from an arse of a referee.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jun 23, 2021, 19:58

Watching as a neutral, the Mbappé penalty in Portugal v France just now was a big NO from me.
Shocking decision from an arse of a referee.
I was torn, the portuguese player does seem to push him a bit. The foul on Coman at the end of the game was an obvious penalty for me and wasn't called, so I guess all in all it's fine ?  :-\

Looking at the two sides of the final board, it looks so unbalanced. France ended up on the side with Belgium, Croatia, Italy, Portugal and Spain. It's gonna be a tough one.
On the other hand, Denmark can manage to go pretty far, they would deserve it