I Know What to Do: I'm Going to Lose My Mind

Taste of Honey

Started by Bendy1001, Oct 19, 2015, 03:07

Previous topic - Next topic
You know what? Fuck it! I like Taste of Honey! It's a great chill song! I've been listening to it a lot lately and I only just now noticed the "Let's do it" that quietly plays at 1:23, and I decided this is good shit. It's got that cool Trumpet noise over the subtle percussion and ambience that makes if feel both laid-back and alarming. Sure that bee noise is irritating and the lyrics are obnoxiously diva, but if you ignore that then the singing fits in pretty well with the mood. That bit with the violin and the chopped up female singing still sounds awesome even if the weird-ass synth guitar that follows is kinda... weird-ass.
I know discussion of the album has died down and I don't think anyone's brought up this song in a while, but I suddenly had the urge to express this. It's still probably the worst song on the album but that's only cause the rest of the album kicks ass. Taste of Honey absolutely deserves it's spot in Born in the Echoes. At the very least it gives the album a more varied tone.
The devil is in the details

It's a hidden gem. I love its satirical approach of saying "f*** you, pie chart music". You got no money? You won't get no honey.  :))
It is flouting any expectations and "dance" album conventions. This is Hanna style. This is creative.

And I am brave too :D
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

I've loved it from the first listen, really good transition piece for the second half of the album.

Theres it is! Oh, wait...
no idea, no idea

I wonder if honey as an euphemism for sex might have been the inspiration for the lyrics:

Source: https://books.google.at/books?id=XKyPCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA36#v=onepage&q&f=false

It's been months and I still haven't taken to this track. It doesn't fall under the 'Left Right' level of annoyance for me, but it certainly distracts from my enjoyment of Born In The Echoes. I'm at the point where I listen to a playlist instead of the full album, which old-school me would prefer.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

Quote from: satur8 on Nov 24, 2015, 16:00

It's been months and I still haven't taken to this track. It doesn't fall under the 'Left Right' level of annoyance for me, but it certainly distracts from my enjoyment of Born In The Echoes. I'm at the point where I listen to a playlist instead of the full album, which old-school me would prefer.
Maybe you might want to approach it more as a well produced cue or track rather than an album song, which I know is weird coz it's on an album. To me it really shows their producing skills and it's got this kind of "score" feel to it. This one shows, in my petty opinion, that they're so much more than mere "dance" music producers. They love (electronic) sounds and this one's full of them. I also think it is very brave to put it on an album, much like Harpoons back in the days. If only Radiate and Wide Open would have been switched on BITE, this one would perfectly fit with the album's flow. Much like a break before it regains momentum with Born and Wide Open, eventually culminating in Radiate.
That said, I can too understand you why you don't like it.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Nov 24, 2015, 17:59

Maybe you might want to approach it more as a well produced cue or track rather than an album song, which I know is weird coz it's on an album. To me it really shows their producing skills and it's got this kind of "score" feel to it. This one shows, in my petty opinion, that they're so much more than mere "dance" music producers. They love (electronic) sounds and this one's full of them. I also think it is very brave to put it on an album, much like Harpoons back in the days. If only Radiate and Wide Open would have been switched on BITE, this one would perfectly fit with the album's flow. Much like a break before it regains momentum with Born and Wide Open, eventually culminating in Radiate.
That said, I can too understand you why you don't like it.

Yes, I  prefer the track more on an individual basis, like a bonus track or something. It definitely is well put together...it just doesn't flow well with the others to me. And I also agree with switching Wide Open and Radiate. I even did this on my last mix.
Last Edit: Apr 24, 2019, 19:21 by satur8
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I haven't bottled it yet. It was just a taste I've never had before in honey. Once it's bottled and aged I'll report back. Time heals all things and all....

Cheers, 17.

Quote from: bennieneebY on Apr 23, 2019, 23:17

I haven't bottled it yet. It was just a taste I've never had before in honey. Once it's bottled and aged I'll report back. Time heals all things and all....

Cheers, 17.

its just me or theres some resemblance between taste of honey and

Was inspired to go back and listen to BITE after last nights show. It's been a hot minute since I've given it a proper listen through. 

What brought me here to post is the "let's do it" in Taste of Honey". This is the magic that after listening to albums or songs for years, I always find something new. Like... "was that there before?" "Is my mind playing tricks on me?"

And for the record, I've enjoyed "taste of honey" from the first time I heard the album. Played this album so much the year it came out that I'm sure my close friends got sick of me because of it. 

I absolutely love Taste Of Honey! I think the atmosphere and energy it creates is something really incredibly unique, and I think it fits rather well on the album. 

I am also just in love with that sound it shares with This Is Not A Game - I'm not sure what to call it, that harp-like synth with the simple, but moving drums. Something about it is so utterly calming while also having this ethereal and other-wordly feel to it, in a very similar way to the rest of the album. The vocals compliment this perfectly, also sounding peaceful but unfamiliar. And that bit near the end, where it returns to relative normalcy from that strange guitar interruption (which I love), has this beautiful little wind-chime sounding instrument that I think compliments it really well.
GOODBYE, AND THANKS TO ALL OF YOU