The Music Gets Louder, The Lights Swirl Faster

Daft Punk

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Nov 16, 2015, 01:06

Previous topic - Next topic
I thought a big part of the magic of sample-based music was in the reference explicitly. Large segments of hip-hop are rooted in the mythology of funk, soul, etc. The development of these genres is rooted in sampling and reference to the older tracks—they're not supposed to be sneaky theft, but deep acknowledgements or sly nods. In the case of Daft Punk and Fatboy Slim, it's about the groove and the track. In the case of DJ Shadow and The Chemical Brothers, it's about hearing something different in those songs and sharing the vision seen through their weird musical lenses. The same cleverness lives in the samples of The Sunshine Underground and in Idioteque: a weird fragment from an obscure piece is put together into a perfect loop with which to capture and describe 90s dance music.

Cf. Quentin Tarantino: what constitutes the true magic for movie nerds in fact ruins the magic for the lay viewer who initially saw complete originality.
Eight or over.

I agree with your post entirely and I'm a big fan of ("clever") sampling and of course totally aware of its tradition in music and arts in general. However, I sometimes can't dismiss my feelings when I thought a particular sound was created by the musician him-/herself just to find out that it was not can be mildly disillusioning (in lack of a better word) at times. For instance, when I learned that IDM's sample was nearly unaltered and straightly taken off the Handpeople's record, it was such a moment. I believe, for me, it is just the (intitially) perceived gap between my assumption/imagination (it is an originally created sound) and knowing/learning (it's a sample). You beautifully described it: context is what matters and how the choice of samples is incorporated in your music.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Apr 22, 2017, 16:50

I believe, for me, it is just the (intitially) perceived gap between my assumption/imagination (it is an originally created sound) and knowing/learning (it's a sample).

This is exactly how I feel about it. Hearing a sample, knowing (or assuming) it's a sample is fine. Even if that sample makes up most of the groundwork. I never bat an eyelid at a lot of Fatboy Slim's work - or any of Bentley Rhtyhm Ace's - because I knew (/assumed) a lot of it was samples. So it was just fun to find out what they were and then hear how they had been adapted. It was, for the most part, the same with Daft Punk.
But like you say, hearing a sound that you have forever believed was a masterful creation by an artist you love and admire that turns out to be someone else's work is jarring and does lead to further questioning I think. Not targeted necessarily at the artist, but at your own judgement of what is and isn't something they have created. "If they didn't make that, what else didn't they make?".
Again though, it's not "Oh, they didn't make that sound I love, they suck!" - it's simply a shift in perspective - you now look at the music in terms of how it has been arranged and personally I find a new level of interest in the track that way.

The exception being Robot Rock.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Take a look at Prodigy, and how they sample:

It's just amazing how they fit all those pieces together and make something fresh from it.
But I have to say that knowing what samples they used and how somehow diminishes song, if that's the word. Tarantino has it right.
It's like watching making of, let's say, Matrix, some part of magic is lost in the process.
I also understood that there is a difference (legally) between recreating sample and just sampling it, does anyone knows more about it?
That being said, listen at your own risk :)

And I stumbled upon this magnificent edition of RAM and though I should share, for anyone interested:

Last Edit: Apr 23, 2017, 10:02 by sandelic
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

Quote from: sandelic on Apr 22, 2017, 18:16

Take a look at Prodigy, and how hey sample:

Yeah that guy does a really good one of Smack My Bitch Up as well. But there is an art in making all of the samples work together. The one I mentioned for Star Guitar is pretty much an unchanged sample, but fair play to Liam H for manipulating all the samples to work together and thereby creating something new.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

J Dilla anyone?
Eight or over.

too much ram
no idea, no idea

It's literally Get Lucky with different lyrics.
Never for money, always for love.

Dunno about literally, but this does sound like a b-side off RAM.

There seems to be a half and half consensus from people.

Half of Daft Punk fans love Random Access Memories. Everyone else was underwhelmed.

Ha, well done France you nutters!  ;D
Macron enjoying it, Trump has no idea. Thanks to Ed Simons for tweeting this.

https://twitter.com/franceinfo/status/885803763818221568
IT'S MORNING TIME!

The way they did One More Time (I think it was) at the start and the end reminded me of Another World.
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

Quote from: neorev on Jun 22, 2017, 05:53

new track produced by Daft Punk...

This band is a joke. They exactly sound like Jungle, Jungle is way better though

They also sound (vocal wise) like Rhye, but again, Rhye is way way better.

dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: MIKL on Jul 15, 2017, 05:44

The way they did One More Time (I think it was) at the start and the end reminded me of Another World.
Dude. Remember the One More Time / Another World "mashup" by some Youtube DJ, that was literally just the two songs playing at the same time with some horrible effects added for a second halfway through?

He was on to something.
Never for money, always for love.

Old news now I guess, but I want to know which one of y'all forked out over $10k for Bangalter's drum machine.

https://twitter.com/9to5toys/status/882623794334007298
IT'S MORNING TIME!

But it's only a 909 - and as we all know, everybody needs a 303
no idea, no idea

Quote from: Skyscraper on Jul 18, 2017, 15:36

Old news now I guess, but I want to know which one of y'all forked out over $10k for Bangalter's drum machine.

https://twitter.com/9to5toys/status/882623794334007298
I don't care much for their 909, remaking patterns is easy. Their Juno 106 on the other hand...