K+D+B Is Godlike

Daft Punk

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Nov 16, 2015, 01:06

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: sandelic on Apr 22, 2017, 18:16
Take a look at Prodigy, and how they sample:

I thought this was pretty cool, especially considering it was made in 1994 before the ease of modern tech. I don't really have a problem with this sampling method as an artform (but I do believe proper credit is always due). It's like a beautiful mosaic created out of discarded wine bottles: it was delicious wine, but it can enjoy a new life with many extra elements. It doesn't matter to me if the glass is new or recycled.

I wasn't part of the original conversation, but discovering song elements are samples instead of original sounds doesn't affect my enjoyment of a track. If anything, I appreciate the creativity as I would for a DJ doing the unexpected. And I definitely prefer it to lazy sampling.
Uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

ugh I had to change my password AGAIN on the daft club today but I can't change it due to Capcha being "Outdated". can anyone whose a member contact someone whose in charge of the site?
"The music Gets Louder, The Lights swirl faster, the chap who freaks out hasn't passed the acid test... A surprising number of these youngsters don't even know who Timothy Leary is..."

I was oblivious to this film prior to today. Anyone else know Riga (take 1)?

Found a soundtrack listing here. Bangalter's Take 5 track is right down the bottom. I get the impression that this is the only track that's specifically by Bangalter here. But the notes down the bottom of the Discogs page say "Compose & produced by SIG" (that's the film's director, Siegfried) and also "Thomas Bangalter beats & loops".

https://twitter.com/Mixmag/status/1051895570766413826 [didn't embed so CLICK]

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Sounds like what Arnaud Rebotini would usually play live...

This week has been interesting, and two previously unreleased recordings surfaced:

A 3 hours DJ Set from 1995

A full professional video of a 2007 live show from Lollapalooza.

You can even hear Thomas Bangalter at the beginning, checking that everybody's ready 😃

Thanks for sharing this, Ben, I'm off to download that 2007 set before it's gone.

If anybody happened to already have downloaded these... I'd very much appreciate a copy.

Please & Thank you  :)
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

As much as I like to poke Daft Punk and their fans, this was still unequivocally one of the best live electronic music experiences ever. There are so many impressive things about this set it's hard to know where to begin sometimes.

Also, some of the camera work from that footage is just god awful.
Last Edit: Jan 23, 2021, 21:16 by MadPooter

Quote from: MadPooter on Jan 23, 2021, 21:08

Also, some of the camera work from that footage is just god awful.
Eh, true, but since that was the footage for the giant screens at the festival, can't really blame them...

Enjoying this! Can't help but think there is some daft punk missing from life these days. I loved random access memory which probably puts me in the minority on this forum. Hope there is a follow up one day, but where could they go with another album?
In nature there are neither rewards nor punishment- there are consequences

Daft Punk doesn't go anywhere
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: sneakerbeater on Jan 23, 2021, 22:27

Hope there is a follow up one day, but where could they go with another album?

I certainly know they can manufacture one with the brand name they've built, but are they artistically capable of producing another album?

It's pretty well documented how reliant they've been on samples to drive their music. And now, with their most recent take in RAM, it took a multitude of accomplished guest artists to "realize" their vision. Seems like they struggle in originality.

Anyone needs download link for Lollapalooza set, just PM me.

Since the Lollapalooza show is of topic, I just want to add the buzz from that performance left such a mark within the concert-going scene here in Chicago (As I'm sure as it was wherever they played). To have a conversation with a fellow concert-goer where they weren't of discussion, was impossible. Just a year later at a sold out JUSTICE show a fan took it to the next level...

(notice the flip phone!  :)))

Also, after that Lollapalooza show, I went to a post-show Ed Banger party where James Murphy and the rest of LCD Soundsystem hung out. Thomas and Guy were lingering about too, but mostly in the back room.

Apologize. Small brag, and memory dump.
Last Edit: Jan 26, 2021, 06:43 by Bosco

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 26, 2021, 01:44

Since the Lollapalooza show is of topic, I just want to add the buzz from that performance left such a mark within the concert-going scene here in Chicago (As I'm sure as it was wherever they played). To have a conversation with a fellow concert-goer where they weren't of discussion, was impossible. Just a year later at a sold out JUSTICE show a fan took it to the next level...

Also, after that Lollapalooza show, I went to a post-show Ed Banger party where James Murphy and the rest of LCD Soundsystem hung out. Thomas and Guy were lingering about too, but mostly in the back room.

Poor guy probably couldn't see anything

Quote from: Bosco on Jan 26, 2021, 01:44

Might be this guy?!? It's from the same year.

In his disclaimer he notes he made the suite himself.

Here's me in my El-wire suit spinning Daft Punk, Deadmau5, and various Ed Banger tracks.

I've had this costume for a few months. I've worn it to conventions, concerts, and clubs. Not only is it fun to wear, but you can also conjure up your OWN mosh pit just by directing them. Just gather everyone together using hand signals and they will follow.

You can't really tell in the dark, but this is HARD. Beat-matching and mixing is tough when it's dark, you're seeing through a small hole, and you have thick gloves on. Just imagine trying to type on a computer while your fingers are individually-wrapped in duct tape.
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Jan 26, 2021, 12:08

Might be this guy?!? It's from the same year.

It looks like it. I know he started the concert behind me, but eventually made his way to the front side of the balcony inside the venue. If I remember, the Ed Banger crew was interacting with him from the opera box to the side of the stage and I even think it was documented in a DVD or a video promo that Ed Banger did.

Edit: Also, wasn't there a tribute band/group that dressed up and basically had the same pyramid setup? I wonder if he was a part of that.
Last Edit: Jan 26, 2021, 21:20 by Bosco