Quote from: MadPooter on Nov 22, 2015, 03:29

Remember when Daft Punk made music?

Those were some good times.

French House at it finest, and now...  :(

Quote from: MadPooter on Nov 22, 2015, 03:29

Remember when Daft Punk made music?

Those were some good times.

My favorite:

Can you imagine ..... an extra-terrestrial disc jockey? Like, listening to radio waves from space? It was unbelievable!

Someone may have already mentioned this, but there is a cracking documentary on bbc iplayer called Daft Punk Unchained - worth a watch as it has some old live footage and a great history of the band with interviews.

^I don't think anyone has mentioned it. I saw it on Friday night on BBC4. I don't believe it can be watched outside the UK, unfortunately.
The hour whizzed by; very enjoyable. Hopefully it might end up on Youtube eventually.
Last Edit: Feb 21, 2016, 23:32 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Thank God for people smarter than me making software that will let me bypass stupid country restrictions for IP rights.

Thought the documentary was okay--it helps give me tolerance for what I perceive as egotistical behavior. I certainly respect Daft Punk in what they have managed to achieve, and for their resolve in maintaining their direction. That in and of itself is impressive--the way they have controlled their image since the end of their beginning is fantastic.

I don't know that I would consider them as exclusively and singularly groundbreaking as people in the documentary made them out to be, but flowery language in documentaries is par for the course.

They made their mark--that is undeniable.

And they made $300,000 when they played at Coachella in 2006. Damn.

yeah, proxy plugins like hola! better internet are golden...
I can hit cheeky lizards if I want!

It was on French TV something like a year ago. Some interesting bits, some dumb.

For example, Todd Edwards telling an anecdote about how Thomas sampled noise from a faulty jack cable during a live set, put together with images from Rollin & Scratchin live, giving the false idea that it is how Rollin & Scratchin was made... Now you get a bunch of people commenting on YouTube about how Rollin & Scratchin was invented and improvised during the "Even Further" live set. They were already using the Juno 106 for R&S and always have. You don't improvise and invent a track live on the spot like that.

Last Edit: Feb 22, 2016, 15:19 by Ben_j

Yeah, there was an implicit suggestion that their performance back in the day in Michigan was all improvised and that he was creating Revolution 909 on the spot.

I didn't like that either.

The idea that their Coachella performance was unprecedented as well... They can't have been the first people to build a full on experience like that. Sure, in the dance world it was huge, but how could it not be for $300,000.

It's a shame. That documentary made me care even less about them. I felt like it was begging me to appreciate them.
It totally glossed over the fact that a number of their tracks are nothing more than glorified samples. Robot Rock being the worst.
Homework was and is fantastic. And it was interesting hearing about the record deal. But the whole thing stunk of Columbia PR trying to get people to pay attention to a band that, let's be honest, produced an album that was as throw away as the summer single they released.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Feb 22, 2016, 22:05

The idea that their Coachella performance was unprecedented as well... They can't have been the first people to build a full on experience like that. Sure, in the dance world it was huge, but how could it not be for $300,000.

I disagree. At the time it was a huge deal. It changed everything and all of the awesome electronic live shows with crazy scenery you've been seeing in the last 10 years (Etienne de Crecy, Flying Lotus, Skrillex, deadmau5, Amon Tobin, DJ Shadow, etc) were possible partly because of this.
Last Edit: Feb 23, 2016, 13:44 by Ben_j

Well said Ben_J. People are forgetting their history and time is altering their perception. However I would say the Orbital/Chems stage setups from that time were similar but audio wise didn't 'mash' tracks up together so much. Now the Chems do it loads

Daft Punk surely did blow open the marketing door for electronic music producers after that 2006 Coachella show. But a lot of praise should go to the CEO of Goldenvoice/Coachella Paul Tollet, the early ages of YouTube and other streaming online video sites, and finally, internet forums and blogs for creating a whirlwind of hype for both pre and post show.

The fact is, their timing was incredibly perfect to put on that show when it happened.

Ou est Daft Punk?

I think I've found 'em but obviously it's more satisfying if you don't just click the spoiler thingy below. Zoom definitely required.

Spoiler
On the Ferris Wheel near the bottom
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Well done style imitation--I used to love the Where's Waldo books.

Now if only Daft Punk could make that stuff they used to make... not merchandise... not hype... Oh yeah. FUCKING MUSIC.

Tbh Daft Punk had their moments, I myself still adore them, but they aren't that special. They have this whole delusion of grandeur going for them. I appreciate their artistry but they've became a little too serious with Random Access Memories. Homework and Discovery was their prime. And they definitely were ahead of their time too in terms of how they defined their genre and doing things live. Almost every set they did in 1997 was unique from each other. Both them and The Chems were at their prime during this age, but it seems like DP is seemng to forget their roots a bit. They're still an electronic music duo, nothing more. And i feel their fans (and this is coming from one) are painting them as much more important than they are, and seem to forget about everyone else, like they're the pioneers of electronic music when that's not the case. I know The Chems and other bands have hit much more landmarks than what DP did, it's just how rare they are that adds to the hype. I know they aren't overrated, but their fans and the labels, and the hype sure is making it out to be that way.
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...

Well said hstn

Daft Punk music now in ride form at New Shanghai Disney:

And while were at it, here is a clip of The New Shanghai Disney's Pirates of The Caribbean ride that looks pretty amazing (however is void of the charm that the original posses):

Last Edit: Jun 29, 2016, 20:33 by Bosco

Nobody cares.
Hi Kevin!

You mean like your vaper thread?