Jerk Chicken

Trespass Against Us

Started by Wolkenkrabber, Jan 17, 2016, 21:42

Previous topic - Next topic
I guess you posted before seeing my first update with the trailer from A24.

Music from 1:24 onwards in the full trailer sounds pretty reminiscent of Hanna
The devil is in the details

Quote from: Ben_j on Sep 22, 2016, 20:47

Not sure if there's any of Tom's music in it
I'm betting on a yes for the second half of the trailer. Sounds very professional but not very conducive to home listening.

Those accents are...interesting. They're like a cross between an Irish accent and an English country bumpkin accent (EDIT: Its's based around Cheltenham/Gloucestershire)
Some Irish "travellers" (gypsies) living in England have good strong Irish accents even though they may live primarily outside of Ireland. Others are more mixed up. I guess they've gone for the latter here. (My accent is kinda London-Irish incidentally.) 

New film poster HERE
And there's a twitter account as you may have spotted following a ChemBros retweet a little earlier.
And a WEBSITE
Last Edit: Sep 22, 2016, 22:14 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Sep 22, 2016, 21:21

I'm betting on a yes for the second half of the trailer. Sounds very professional but not very conducive to home listening.
Yeah I figured this might be Tom's... But I don't know it also sounds a lot like generic movie trailer material.

Those accents are...interesting. They're like a cross between an Irish accent and an English country bumpkin accent (from either Englands "West Country" or East Anglia - arable farming country).
Some Irish "travellers" (gypsies) living in England have good strong Irish accents even though they may live primarily outside of Ireland. Others are more mixed up. I guess they've gone for the latter here. (My accent is kinda London-Irish incidentally.)   

I didn't get most of the trailer :D I'll have to watch again with subtitles

Oh yeah, I believe there is. That rising synth at about 1:10 (there's even one at the beginning, barely noticable) and beyond definately sounds RARish. There's sadly no real music in it that would give us a clue as to where the soundtrack might go.

Great to finally see a trailer for this. I was kind of longing for some tidbits.

Btw, the second half kinda has got little Bahnhof Rumble/ Hanna vs.Marissa  feel to it.
Last Edit: Sep 22, 2016, 21:55 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

From 1:09 on it sounds like score. The drums have a "cinematic Chems" sound, and the synths are almost there... sounds a little restrained to be honest. If any of it is Tom's it's much more subtle than Hanna was.

Not sure, and not too much to comment on!

Film looks good though.
Never for money, always for love.

Anyone on the forum seen this yet? Besides me...
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Oct 16, 2016, 23:07

Anyone on the forum seen this yet? Besides me...
Nooo, haven't even found a German release date yet. So, how was it? Good story? How was the score? Don't just post that you watched it and then leave us!!!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Oct 17, 2016, 09:44

Don't just post that you watched it and then leave us!!!

!
no idea, no idea

Trespass Against Us at the BFI London Film Festival, Sunday 16th October 2016, 3.15pm. (also Fri & Sat).
Followed by Q&A with Adam Smith and Alastair Siddons.

Skyscraper's litte film review (I reckon it's spoiler-free as long as you've seen the trailer)
Spoiler

"It's got potentials"

The first words to appear on screen are "animal kingdom" – the name of a production company involved with Trespass. It seems appropriate if you've seen the film Animal Kingdom, as both films seem to share a similar approach. Both take a gritty "real life" stance of observing a family of um, "not quite angels" and their machinations. We root for members of those families despite their faults and crimes... but always with a slight detachment. Like a cinematic fly on the wall.

I think the trailer represents Trespass pretty accurately.  As for the supposedly weak story?  It's good enough. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than it is. It's a study of these people's way of life. The drama of Chad's desire for his kids to succeed, and his struggles with his dad are enough to hold your attention.  But fear not, there is a story. As you've probably guessed, it involves theft and getaway cars.

Brendan Gleeson is fine but not as likeable as he was in say, The Guard (nor is he meant to be).  The main star of the film is undoubtedly Fassbender. His presence raises the quality of the whole film. I didn't dislike him before, but his performance in this small indie film makes me realise he has real acting chops.

As for the accents; correction time again. They're not meant to be Irish at all. I think Gleeson's accent slips a bit in the trailer which misled me. But they're meant to be pure Gloucester accents (as per the documentary embedded further below).  Adam confirmed there won't be subtitles for America, so good luck with that!

To sum up, Trespass combines drama, thrills, sadness and even a couple of big laughs (oh, and an RAR score!). The performances and interaction of the cast are what keeps you engaged.  It's a small film and it's not for everyone, but I genuinely enjoyed it. Even without the Chemical connections, I would watch this.
Pretentious IMDB-type-score: 7.9.

Thoughts on the music (very mild film spoiler re: religious discussion in the film that won't ruin it for you.)
Spoiler
By and large this is very different from Hanna or anything else "Chemical". Adam explained in the Q&A after the film that Tom brought him a very "Chemical Brothers" score. But Adam said: no thanks(!). He asked Tom to go back and do something else. Cue Adam humorously impersonating Tom: "But then why ask me to do it? What do you want?" (comically exasperated voice).  Adam reassured Tom that he did want him to do the soundtrack... but less Chemical.

So Tom enlisted the help of some 'real' musicians and came back with the score now attached to the film.  It mostly involves strings and piano, and at times it sounds not unlike the music on the documentary further below. But there is that slightly "wonky" vibe that Tom loves so much. So if you want to hear Tom's Chemical wonkiness manifested in a small, strings-y score, you better see Trespass.

Having said that, there are still some electronic bits. Most memorably during the "yellow car" chase that's in the trailer. What sounds like a handheld Casio keyboard takes the lead over some more substantial sounding synthiness, and there are breakbeats in there too. I think there were some other brief moments of electronica as well (backmasked vocals/noises). But this is a much more subtle score than Hanna, and as it was my first time watching the film I found myself trying to follow the dialogue and then occasionally remembering: LISTEN TO THE MUSIC! It might be easier to concentrate on the score with a second viewing.

I asked Adam in the Q&A afterwards if the score would be released. His reply: "I don't know but I hope so. I also hope that the 'Chemical Brothers' stuff we didn't use will be released. Or maybe some if it has, I don't know ".  Sounds like Adam hasn't listened to all of BITE, otherwise he'd know either way. Outrageous!

The closing credits relating to the music were:
Music Supervisor: Kle Savidge
Harmonium & Piano: Tim Rice-Oxley (keyboard player for boring polite-rock band Keane)
Violin: Emma Smith
Viola & Cello: Vince Sipprell
Score engineered by Tom Rowlands & Steve Dub
Recorded at: Rowlands Audio Research.

I believe Emma Smith and Vince Sipprell founded the "Elysium Quartet". Having googled them, it appears that Mr Sipprell (who worked with Hot Chip, Elbow & New Order) sadly took his own life in January 2015. This makes me think that the score was probably finished by then. (I know it's a bit ghoulish to Sherlock this but I didn't know he was dead when I googled him, and um, logic springs eternal.)

This would mean that it is possible for Let Us Build a City and Wo Ha to have been on the original score. Yet still I have my doubts. Why? Well mostly it's just a hunch about whether that music would fit the film (or am I just agreeing with Adam?). I understand the biblical connection mentioned by others, but Let Us Build A City is a reference to the Tower of Babel (Old Testament). Although there are in fact, religious conversations in Trespass, they almost exclusively refer to Jesus (New Testament), so the biblical logic isn't necessarily watertight. I still think the above two tracks were for Now You See Me, but... no, I can't prove it.

So I guess the bad news is that this isn't going to be a Hanna No2 type soundtrack (thanks Adam!). And  I'm particularly "guilty" of hoping that it would be. I'd be interested to hear the electronic bits without the film rattling over the top (and the strings-y stuff too), so here's hoping it gets released. Oh, and if there is ever another "Ask Tom Rowlands" opportunity, I bagsy the question about unused "Chemical" score from Trespass!

What I can remember from the Q&A with Adam and Alastair (mild spoiler, sort of, but not really)
Spoiler

BFI Host Woman: Tell us how you came to write the script, Alastair.

Alastair: The script is based on a documentary I was involved with around 2003/2004. So it's based on real people. Chad is a real person (discusses this for a while).

Woman in Audience: Do these real people know about the film? (Damn I was going to ask that!)

Adam: Yes, they saw it here on Friday night for the first time. The real Chad brought his family. They were quite noisy as they cheered at the screen. Good noisy!

Bloke In audience:  Who made the film's soundtrack? (Grr. I was going to ask about that too, you bastard!). See the reply in the "Music" section of this post.

Mic comes to me: Um, I think my question just got answered. But ...will the soundtrack get released? (see the reply in "Music" section of this post).

Alastair Siddons:  (said something I couldn't hear)

Me: While you're there Alastair, was the documentary you worked on called "Summer With The Johnsons"?

Alastair: Yes.

Adam: You've done your homework.

Me:  It's on Youtube! (I'm now hogging the mic)...  Also Adam , I know today's film was introduced as your first, but it's really your second following Don't Think. That was a very flashy visual film, whilst today's film was all about the script and the drama. If a Hollywood big-shot offered you a choice of a big budget visual film or smaller budget film with a great script, which way would you go?

Adam: That would depend on my bank balance at the time! No, it would actually depend on the individual project.

Old Grandpa in the audience: I had a nephew who had a choice of joining or avoiding the lifestyle of these travellers...(Tells long story that sends everyone to sleep. Which would probably be fine if he was sat next to the fireplace with his pipe and slippers.)

Adam and Alastair: "    "

BFI Host Woman:  Well thanks for coming everyone, Byeee

Friday night's Q&A which included Fassebender et al was professionally recorded by the BFI but I don't think it discusses the music coz y'know...Fassbender.
https://twitter.com/BFI/status/787665782054481920

The documentary,"Summer With The Johnsons" on which Trespass is based is in eight small parts on Youtube or one hour long part on Vimeo. Trespass scriptwriter Alastair Siddons has his name in the closing credits of this documentary. They say, "Write what you know", and boy did he!

https://vimeo.com/53677322
Last Edit: Oct 18, 2016, 12:48 by Skyscraper
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Skyscraper, thanks for this great (or not so great) insight!!
The news about its score are dampening my anticipation a little. I didn't necessarily expect a Hanna 2.0, nor did I want something in that direction. But less Chemical in its essence isn't really something I was hoping for as well. What I was hoping for in fact is a score that carried the Chems/ Tom's undeniable electronic influenced thumbprint which made Hanna so special. Something you couldn't hear anywhere else. While I understand that Adam needed something different with his vision for the movie, I totally get Tom's position too.
Well, I hope it'll be at least distinct and 'Chemical' enough from most of contemporary soundtracks that came out in recent years. Let's see when it's out here in Germany.

Btw, did you, as a native local, have any trouble understanding the dialogue (because you mentioned "following" and I remember those short articles about the movie and one of them mentioned its thick accents)?
— Aurora (The Seed)

That means there is a full unreleased chemical soundtrack!
no idea, no idea

Unreleased Tom Rowlands soundtrack
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Movie has been released in november 2016 in England. Where the soundtrack release?

I guess these were festival screenings only. According to imdb, the offical release date in the UK is the 3rd of March and 1st of March in France (no other EU dates have been revealed yet). Thus, I assume the soundtrack might be due some time after that (if at all).
— Aurora (The Seed)

It's on pay-per-view in the states right now, which I was surprised to see.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Wow, it's available in some russian torrent trackers in 720p.
I'll watch it today!
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: Explud on Jan 11, 2017, 12:01

I'll watch it today!
I'll be interested to hear your opinion on this. I'm starting to wonder if I did miss other notable electronic bits besides the yellow car chase. If you go to the Trespass website, you'll find they've updated it and it now has about 37 seconds of electronic-ish (I presume Chemical) music on there with no talking over it. I don't honestly remember where this was in the film; maybe I was too engrossed to notice the music.
The synopsis (final paragraph) says: "a pulsating score by The Chemical Brothers", (rather than Tom). Not sure if that's a mistake or...

Incidentally the website took several minutes to load for me. Different browsers seem to have different response times; worst: IE, then FF, best: Chrome.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Thanks Steve from the FB group for the heads up!

Nice little interview that Adam gave here:

Quote from: Jason Gorber from Dork Shelf

You'd worked with the Chemical Brothers extensively – Could you talk about the score for the film?

In a way I didn't want it to be a full Chemical Brothers soundtrack, like to sound like The Chemical Brothers. Obviously one of the chase scenes does a bit, but I wanted it to have this timeless feel. The Chemical Brothers' music has got this raw, anarchic energy. It's almost like every time it becomes too pop-y, a crash comes in and some gnarly electronic sound. It also has this huge emotional power and really moves people. That's why I thought Tom [Rowlands] was perfect to do the film.

I sent him the script and he kind of started writing stuff after the first read through. He was really into it. But we did come to a bit of a crossroads. I was like, "Look, this can't be synthy instrumentation because it needs to have a timeless feel"-which is why we shot it on 35mm. We talked about the palette having more classical instrumentation. At one point he all like, "Why don't you just get somebody classical to do it? Why do you want me to do it?", and I was like, "Because you're going to do something different and something brilliant!"

The nice thing is that we've been working together for 20 years and it's healthy to have these conversations. I don't know if they're going to release it or not but there's a load of more typical Chemical Brothers stuff that he made for us that never made it to the film that are great, great tunes.

http://dorkshelf.com/2017/01/27/trespass-against-us-director-adam-smith-on-fassbender-gleeson-the-chemical-brothers-and-doctor-who/

So I understand now that Adam wanted Tom for his way of approaching his music, his style, his unique, creative mind but with less electronic and more "traditional" instrumentation. I get it. The trailer sounds pretty Rowlandsky to me. Did that kind of "theme" occur in the movie?
And when will this finally be released here in Germany??

Last Edit: Jan 27, 2017, 19:10 by Csar
— Aurora (The Seed)