Let Your Heart See the Colours All Around You

Soulwax / 2Many DJs

Started by Ben_j, Jan 28, 2016, 00:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Jul 21, 2021, 12:12

Not the most groundbreaking Soulwax remix but it's also (kinda) something new from Jungle.

Diplo & Damian Lazarus - Don't Be Afraid (feat. Jungle) [Soulwax Remix]

Jungle have a new album out next month. It's the first album I've considered pre-ordering since No Geography. I've been loving the video series they've been putting out with the dancers in the school building - that band has their shit together.

Little interesting crossover... The Blessed Madonna remixed a recent single of theirs - Keep Moving. It's a great slab of disco dub.

EDIT: Thought this was in the Now Playing thread. Sorry for the Jungle takeover.
The Soulwax remix was nice! Kinda felt like Soulwax feat. Jungle, which I enjoyed very much.
Last Edit: Jul 23, 2021, 04:03 by Enjoyed
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Somehow I missed this when it was released. This one is amazing.

Quote from: Wolkenkrabber on Dec 01, 2022, 13:46

Guess which Chems track kicks it off.

Buzz Tracks?
no idea, no idea

oh it was reissued! funny I was just thinking I should finally replace my pirated copy with a legitimate one.

Grabbed the reissue on Vinyl, really good pressing, and an absolutely insane mix that took me right back.

"To me you're like a setting sun. You rise then you're gone"

I ended up getting a used cd copy instead of the reissue. will rip it this evening and go down memory lane.

if anyone is ever interested in going down the rabbit hole of the unofficial "parts", it's a fun deep dive: https://www.2manybootlegs.com/bootleg-albums/as-heard-on-radio-soulwax/

Soulwax created the score for a new expansion of GTA online:

Apparently it will be a full album? Hopefully the music will be available as a standalone, I really like what I've heard so far :)

Track 6 uses some previously unreleased material that was played years ago during their Soulwaxmas events, I've always loved that bootleg:

Oh, that's tonight!

https://twitter.com/2manydjsTour/status/1605224141744906243

*EDIT*, no wait it was midnight last night, not tonight. It's on the BBC Sounds/website NOW.
Are you sitting comfortably? Then we'll begin.
A whole new slice of "as heard on Radio Soulwax".
Last Edit: Dec 24, 2022, 17:33 by Wolkenkrabber Reason: It's already up.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

well that was damn enjoyable.

"You people have got to get out of that area!"

Love this track from the Essential Mix. Love the EM speed compared to the above pitched up Youtube version. 
That would have blown my mind. If I had a mind.
"We going up!" and then pogo for the stars
"why yes, yes you are crazy and I love you for it!" Whirly

Found a connection via the Essential Mix and digging in to past posts on the forum.

Csar posted in the covered chemicals topic of the cover of Base 6 by Yuki and Yuna of CHAI.

2ManyDjs use the following CHAI track early in the mix and I love CHAI now.

Quote from: rynostar on Jan 13, 2023, 18:52
"You people have got to get out of that area!"
Ha! Yeah this is great.
"Hey I asked y'all not to stand on top of the speakers. Y'all hard-headed or wut?"
Spoiler
And also "We've got Colt 45 and Miller...30c a glass". I remember Colt 45 beer from when I was a kid. They tried to get a foothold in the Irish beer market back when everybody drank Guinness and Smithwicks. They didn't succceed, but the ads were on the side of every bus in Dublin for a while.

I don't know where the Dewaele's got those vocal clips from but they weren't on the original release of Love Attack that came out in 1979.

I think the mix really gets going with this Ferrara track, so maybe the intro to this mix isn't quite as exciting an the intro to "As Heard on Radio Soulwax pt2". I hope the opening couple of minutes don't put people off. Because overall, it's fantastic!

Quote from: rynostar on Jan 13, 2023, 18:52
Found a [Chemical] connection via the Essential Mix...
Oh I think I found some more:
1) Sharif Laffrey - And Dance (1hr,04) was in the Chems 2019 Essential Mix.
2) D.H.S. – House Of God (mixed with Tiga's Easy) at 1hr,11. The Chems had another track from the same House Of God EP - "Holophonic Sound", in their 2019 Mix.
3) Pygmy Music. Around 50 mins. The Chems sampled Mbola from Aka Pygmies in MAH, and I'm pretty sure these are Pygmy vocals here.

In terms of iconic mash-ups, I'm not sure there's anything here that will stand out as much as say, Iggy & The Stooges w/ Salt N' Pepa or Detroit Grand Pubahs w/ New Order, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty here to enjoy.
For example, the bit around 1hr30: D-Mob– We Call It Acieed/KiNK – Disco Spectrum/Wet Leg – Too Late Now (Soulwax Remix), it all fits together so damn well.
The aforementioned mix of Tiga and DHS works nicely too. There's lots of great stuff here.
"As Heard..." was about an hour long and had 45 tracks. This mix is twice as long and has twice as many tracks.

Well I hope this Essential Mix gets a wider release at some point.
"As Heard... (pt.1)" started life as a Hang The DJ mix for Belgian radio (AFAIK), before getting a (re-jigged) release as "part 2"
The Soulwax Essential (1-12) album started life as an Essential Mix for the BBC before getting an official release.
So it would be great to see this Essential Mix get a proper release too (track clearances permitting).

Inidentally, I noticed little snippets of the "Essential" Soulwax vocals pop up at around 22 mins, 1hr,10, 1hr,36 and 1hr,51 here. A nice nod to the Daewale brothers previous Essential Mix.

A couple of people have uploaded it to YouTube, which may be of interest to those geo-blocked by the BBC. The one below has little (or no?) advertising.
The one under the spoiler tabs has annoying ads but also has a free M4a dowload in the YT description. Both uploads have attempted tracklistings in their descriptions.

Spoiler
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Was able to record their 2023 Coachalla gig, too. These guys are so effing versatile. Great set!
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Apr 17, 2023, 11:39
Was able to record their 2023 Coachalla gig, too. These guys are so effing versatile. Great set!
i managed to catch this on the youtube replay the next day—it was a pretty fun one! crowd actually seemed engaged, unlike most of the daytime sets
Eight or over.

Random chance, did anyone watch / get a recording of the 2manydjs weekend 2 set? I had DnD last night and was only able to catch a few moments of the start. DM me if you did. 

Don't know if this was mentioned before anywhere, but i just found out that the Soulwax remix of HBHG on Youtube has the original vocals from that tune instead of the "hey boy, hey girl, 2manydjs, here we go" lyrics. Maybe this is the real deal and i just got some not so official version on my harddrive, but until now i only knew the 2manydjs-lyric version. 🤷

no idea, no idea

Hm, the version of the Surrender Deluxe edition also has the original lyrics, so this will be the official version.
I think the "HBHG 2manyDJs, here we go"-version is an edit that 2manydjs use when DJing?

Speaking of Soulwax, they just announced some tour dates:

Please log in to view this attachment.

Roundhouse in London sounds tempting

Quote from: Stefan on Sep 26, 2023, 20:20
Hm, the version of the Surrender Deluxe edition also has the original lyrics, so this will be the official version.
I think the "HBHG 2manyDJs, here we go"-version is an edit that 2manydjs use when DJing?

So the version i have (as mp3) is called "Hey Boy Hey Girl (Soulwax '2 Many DJ's' Remix)" and in the tags it says that it is from the Midnight Madness single. Quick look into Discogs is saying there are two versions of the MM-single that have the Soulwax-remix on it => This and this. The mp3 has a runtime of 7:08 which is 6 seconds shorter than the one behind the first link 27 seconds shorter than the one behind the second link. Yes, you are right, the version from the Surrender Anniversary Edition is the one with original vocal sample, and because i only own this version of the MM-single i can't check what version is on the other two single-releases + i have no idea where i have that remix from. The remix itself doesn't sound like the begining or the end are edited.
no idea, no idea