'Til We Meet Again, Oh My Love

Soulwax / 2Many DJs

Started by Ben_j, Jan 28, 2016, 00:30

Previous topic - Next topic
Yep, Deewee has some fantastic stuff:

The song in this trailer sounds fantastic:

Quote from: Stefan on Mar 18, 2017, 09:23

The song in this trailer sounds fantastic:

It sure sounds better than that live version. I hope the vocals if any in the final track will also sound better

Listening to the lyrics, I think it's "Here Come The Men In Suits". And this one below seems to be "Masterplanned":

Last Edit: Mar 18, 2017, 10:28 by Ben_j

Before we all get excited/disappointed about "From Deewee" on Friday, has anyone listened to the full Belgica soundtrack? Is it good?
It's getting a double LP release for Record Store Day
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 22, 2017, 14:02

Before we all get excited/disappointed about "From Deewee" on Friday, has anyone listened to the full Belgica soundtrack? Is it good?

I enjoyed it a lot. Some tracks definitely stand out more than others - and it's obviously designed to be a broad display of different genres - but it's very Soulwaxy in places and straight up good in others.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Skyscraper on Mar 22, 2017, 14:02

It's getting a double LP release for Record Store Day

As stated by Enjoyed, some of the tracks that sound typical Soulwax are really good (Turn of the lights, Ti Ricordi di me, Got Any Chris Rea, Cybernetic Permutations In The Key Of A, Inward). The rest is not all good, but some of the tracks that I didn't like on the album were much better in the movie, where they are played live.
The movie itself it worth seeing too, by the way !

Thanks chaps. I probably won't get suckered by Record Store day sillyness and just get the CD. Is there a "pre-gap" bonus track I wonder?

As for the film, I believe it has only been released in Belgium and France so far. I can't find a release date for the rest of the world. If only the discussion boards on IMDB hadn't been binned...

I know that there is a pre-gap track on From Dewee but I don't think I've heard it. Just heard the 12 tracks listed on Amazon etc. The album has now leaked.
First impressions: Unsurprisingly, it's no Nite Versions, but there are plenty of recognisable Soulwaxy synth sounds and even some (fucked up) "oohs".
Fave tunes so far: Masterplanned, Missing Wires and Is It Always Binary (with the "Oohs"). Trespassers stands out beacause it's like an old school pop/rock SWX track rather than electronic.
IT'S MORNING TIME!

After a first listen, the ones that stand out for me are :
Masterplanned (dat' bass...)
Missing Wires
Is it always Binary
The Singer Has Become a Deejay / Here come the Men in Suits (I feel like the first one is a big intro for the second one. And it's my favourite part of the album)

^Great minds think alike with the first three choices.
Incidentally I have also realised that six of the twelve tracks are already on Spotify, and they have been for at least a week. D'oh!

And all of Belgica is on there too.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Thoroughly enjoying the whole thing.

Transient Programs For Drums and Machinery is a top contender.

Argh, I was on my way home from a business trip yesterday and won't be anywhere near a record store this weekend. I'll have to wait until monday to listen to the new album :(

Quote from: Stefan on Mar 14, 2017, 18:27

Yep, Deewee has some fantastic stuff:

Bolis Pupul will be supporting for Soulwax in Paris, yay \o/

Unfortunately I'm not really in love with the new album.

There are some good tracks on it, but even the good tracks aren't *great*.

I certainly love that the Dewaele brothers are still producing music and they're some of the most talented producers/djs in the god damn world. But it seems like they experimented in one direction and didn't quite come up with amazing results, only interesting ones.

Nonetheless, I hope that future listens of the album will bring some further appreciation. I certainly haven't ruled it out for finding something better in it down the line. And I'll keep an eye out for them performing--I think the live aspect has a lot to do with the album. That kind of goes for Soulwax in general.

Jealous that you get to see them in Paris!

Damn that was a good show ! And in a concert hall that had burned down in 2011 and just reopened. Last time I went there was in october 2010 and I'm glad to see the place kept its magic !

Thanks for posting the video, amigo.

Glad to hear that the show was bangin'. Their old stuff resonates with me heavily still. The new stuff not so much. How was their new material live?

Hoping for a San Francisco date at some point with the other brothers.

Quote from: MadPooter on Apr 03, 2017, 22:15

Thanks for posting the video, amigo.

Glad to hear that the show was bangin'. Their old stuff resonates with me heavily still. The new stuff not so much. How was their new material live?

Hoping for a San Francisco date at some point with the other brothers.
New tracks are much better live, helped by the three drummers who really put on a show

Soulwax are doing a Maida Vale session on BBC6 on Monday 10th on Lauren Laverne's show.

Speaking of Soulwax (on another thread), when the album came out, was I the only one who thought they had borrowed a melodic idea from Beyond The Wizards Sleeve?
Namely the little melody at around 3.15 on this:

Reminds me of the "ooohs" on track one of The Soft Bounce, Delicious Light (hm, this Spotify link isn't working, but you can find it there anyway).
I can only find a remix of Delicious Light on YT, although you can kinda hear it here too.

IT'S MORNING TIME!

Haven't had time to listen to listen to it, but there was a Soulwax/2manydjs Essential Mix yesterday:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08q3223

According to the announcment, the first 60 minutes is music exclusively created for the mix.