Who's Hungry?

Live version decisions

Started by Enjoyed, Feb 12, 2016, 10:27

Previous topic - Next topic
So I was on a run the other day listening to the wonderful Live in Paris set from 1999 and I was reminded of a question I wanted to pose to everyone.

What do you think is the reason for some of the live choices they make?

Obviously the more creative ones, like the vocals in OOC, are for the purpose of blowing minds. But what about some of the things that they strip out?

I'm thinking the omission of the "On a wave... On a wave..." vocals in TSU, the build up but constant return to the basic loop in Chemical Beats, the omission of the crash on the 4th beat of the 4th bar in Leave Home, the breakdown in OOC (I wondered if this was a copyright thing with Mr Sumner maybe? Though I can't see why he wouldn't want his guitar played...)

Discuss.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: Enjoyed on Feb 12, 2016, 10:27
Obviously the more creative ones, like the vocals in OOC, are for the purpose of blowing minds. But what about some of the things that they strip out?
Limitations of samplers and DAT tapes.
But for now in Logic/Ableton era live shows sounds more saturated and new tracks played without so intense stripping.
The old ones played stripped for a some kind of a tradition.
Hi Kevin!

It could also be that they favor that arrangement at the time!

Take HBHG from WATN-Further era compared to original/BITE tour.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

They said back in 1997 that part of their live philosophy was to "show people what we're doing in the studio that we couldn't on the record" (something along those lines). So I bet some of the changes are versions they decided couldn't work on tape or b-side but were perfect live. Like Go - mother of hell, the live version is almost too explosive to just release as a nice pretty mastered mp3. Same goes for Believe. Or maybe they're alternate takes, like the always different lines in the second build of TSU, or All Rights Reversed's reworking, or the subtle alterations Star Guitar gets every year...

I've always wondered about the live version of Setting Sun from 97-05, the house beat thing vs the original big beats they used in 96, what caused that switch? And the Chemical Beats aborted build over and over... confused me too.
Last Edit: Feb 18, 2016, 06:22 by WhiteNoise
Never for money, always for love.

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Feb 18, 2016, 04:40

And the Chemical Beats aborted build over and over... confused me too.

That's the big one for me. It can't be a samples limit nowadays. And the choice to keep it from building is a particularly strange one.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

Quote from: WhiteNoise on Feb 18, 2016, 04:40

They said back in 1997 that part of their live philosophy was to "show people what we're doing in the studio that we couldn't on the record" (something along those lines). So I bet some of the changes are versions they decided couldn't work on tape or b-side but were perfect live. Like Go - mother of hell, the live version is almost too explosive to just release as a nice pretty mastered mp3. Same goes for Believe. Or maybe they're alternate takes, like the always different lines in the second build of TSU, or All Rights Reversed's reworking, or the subtle alterations Star Guitar gets every year...

I've always wondered about the live version of Setting Sun from 97-05, the house beat thing vs the original big beats they used in 96, what caused that switch? And the Chemical Beats aborted build over and over... confused me too.
I was more confused about how they changed the beats for Setting Sun in 04, it didn't fit at all
And I feel like I'm dreaming...and I feel like I'm dreaming...