Pretty shit
1 (2.9%)
Absolutely on top of the world
12 (35.3%)
Spanking wanking!
7 (20.6%)
Bored of existing
0 (0%)
Is Mr. Rowlands a little late on the As?
4 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Greetings Chemical Brothers & Sisters!

As we get excited for the upcoming live dates with Tom and Ed, we are celebrating by bringing back an old favorite and taking questions from YOU. 

That's right, Tom Rowlands will answer selected questions and we'll post the answers both here and on our main website. 

Please post your question and it will be considered. 

Some tips:
  • Please stick to questions vs. declarations.  You can declare elsewhere.
  • Please try and check out previously posted questions as we proceed, so you don't duplicate.
  • Like those questions you'd like to see answered.
  • Trolls of all kinds will be unceremoniously removed.
  • Good manners and originality are a plus.
We'll post answers from Tom in the coming months....

That's all for now - stay tuned for more live dates and other news from Chemical HQ.

Tom's Answers: https://forum.thechembase.com/index.php/topic,474.msg7904.html#msg7904
Last Edit: Mar 28, 2023, 15:42 by Csar
Never for money, always for love.

Yay ! I'll start :

How did not having Ed with you for most of the 2015 tour and for elaborating the live show impact how you built the show ? Any tracks or parts you included there that you wouldn't have played with Ed (or that he wouldn't let you play :P ) ?

@whitenoise: ask your chemical beats question so you aren't confused anymore
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on Feb 19, 2016, 20:48

@whitenoise: ask your chemical beats question so you aren't confused anymore
I have a feeling the answer is "We did it that way because we wanted to" :D

What can Tom tell us about the Trespass Against Us soundtrack and film?
IT'S MORNING TIME!

Just 2 quick questions spring to mind:

• How did you decide the track order on Born In the Echoes? Why did you decide against Radiate as the closing title?
    Do you have some sort of "pattern" you like when you arrange albums (like e.g. dance track - dance track - calm track etc. pp.)?
  • Why did you give up on this track below which is also known among fans as "Problem/ Question" or "Animal" track and which you played live in 2005 (live set) and 2006 on a DJ set at Summercase festival in Madrid?

The melody and that synthesizer are just awesome, Tom!

Man, this is actually a tough thing to do because I don't want to come up with questions he's answered millions of times already. For how long will this Q&A be open for q-submissions?
Last Edit: Feb 19, 2016, 21:33 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

How do you choose which synth/modular to use for recording tracks? Is it just a matter of what sounds fun at the time?

What's your drink of choice in the studio? Coffee, tea, or too much expensive stuff for beverages to be around?

How do you know when to call it quits on a song that's not living up to standards?

Do you have any other hobbies that you feel like are essential for creating music?

Most importantly, what is the SH-101 used for live? This has been driving me crazy for 15 years and I'm sure the answer is obvious. Is it just to brag that you guys have one and they cost insane amounts of money now due to hype?
Last Edit: Feb 19, 2016, 23:50 by Biff

Were you aware of this sample Cut Copy (the band have used) from 'It Doesn't Matter'?. (it starts from 25sec in and is used throughout) I actually met and asked Dan (the singer/lead) of the band in person one day if anyone had asked him where it came from and no one had. He is obviously a big fan aswell along with the manchester/madchester scene etc. as we talked about that and scene in general now.

(I hope I haven't started a legal war with this question understandable if you can't answer. I'm a big fan of both parties involved)

When creating your own music, do you worry about other people using samples/song writing styles that they have used in songs that either you have done or have been influenced by as well? Or do you see it sometimes as intentional and more of a tribute/acknowledgement of the actual sample/style of writing and where it has come from and how its been used as part of that culture/scene?

Was Horse Power maybe a tribute to Last train to trancentral by KLF?

Could you see yourself collaborating with Tame Impala in future if the timing/song was right?

is there a song/album of yours that is special to you the most at all or does it change from time to time?

(I could go on but I'll leave it at that for now  :music)
Last Edit: Feb 23, 2016, 13:10 by MIKL
...'cause I don't like whats going on in the world. I'm scared of that...

I have a question.

Hi Tom, you might know me from the old Chemical Brothers mailing list back in the early 2000's. Majordomo? Well you know what I mean. I was quite disappointed with the Surrender album but you've made it all worthwhile with some other albums after that. I've seen you live a few times and I've enjoyed it a lot. Nothing like a big soundsystem to hear you guys play on.

My question is this, what are your favorite pieces of gear nowadays? You're always struck me as the "bad guy" in the Chemical Brothers. The guy who makes the gear really scream. So what are your weapons of choice nowadays?

What's your favourite cereal?
And no, I will not accept "I don't eat cereal" as an answer.
dancesoitallkeepsspinning

What song are you most proud of from BITE?

Why did you choose the album version of Under the Influence for Surrender as opposed to EBW3 or Mix 2?

How long did you spend making Wonders of the Deep?

What is your favorite beer or beer style?

Not a question, but wanted to say I took your advice to heart about making music. I went from all in the box to no DAW. Best decision to listen to you, so thank you!
Last Edit: Feb 20, 2016, 00:57 by androidgeoff
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your feelings post BITE, new material still best consumed in album form?

Were/are plans for a brothers gonna work it out follow up on the table?

One more Non festival NY show before I die?

Where's the acoustic album??  ;D

Promise me you won't stop making music for us?
Last Edit: Feb 20, 2016, 00:59 by Apostle

Will you ever invite fans backstage again... after... Chicago?
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Tom!

i have no questions right now. I just want to say HI!!!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Quote from: Csar on Feb 20, 2016, 01:05

Will you ever invite fans backstage again... after... Chicago?
A certain crazy person may have ruined that opportunity for everyone.
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote from: androidgeoff on Feb 20, 2016, 01:11

I have no clue :D
— Aurora (The Seed)

Quote from: Csar on Feb 20, 2016, 01:11

I have no clue :D
He shall remain nameless. Yeos.

Will you lads have any dates in Canada?  A fan of 20 years, I'm making it a priority to see you this time round (never seen you guys live).

Thanks.

Any possibility in releasing Superflash? (the DJ version,not the live version) And why are there 2 versions of this track? Also, is there a chance get C.H.E.M.I.C.A.L released too?

Btw, I've said this before but all three of you (and Adam) should be on stage. Can it happen? I'm sure there's plenty of room on stage for all 3 of you.

Last Edit: Feb 20, 2016, 01:19 by inchemwetrust
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

Quote from: androidgeoff on Feb 20, 2016, 01:11

In all seriousness, it really was not that bad!

Tom, it was great of you to give up an hour of your evening to hang out with us geeks in Chicago. Knowing that you and Eddy are huge fans of New Order, what was it like meeting them for the first time? What is it like to produce and write songs with them now, especially on their newest album?
Last Edit: Feb 20, 2016, 01:48 by WhiteNoise