Hey Girl

2016 tour expectations and predictions

Started by Ben_j, Mar 25, 2016, 22:27

Previous topic - Next topic

my break down using the set list from festival 2015 tour, excluding Snow/Surface to Air and TPPR.

Hey Boy Hey Girl = not leaving set list, favorited by too many, and very identifiable song for casual fans. Could be moved, but I think its a solid opener.

EML Ritual = newer song, specially crafted visual, probably staying until a new album.

Do It Again/ Get Yourself High = see Hey Boy Hey Girl. Although, I could see Do It Again reduced even more to just a vocal loop, like Get Yourself High.

GO = will never leave setlist. Unless, it's in rotation with Galvanize in the future. But will totally be heard on the 2016 tour.

Swoon = I feel like there is a personal attachment to this song for Tom or Ed. Like I mentioned before I'm fairly certain this is a permanent staple in the setlist.

Star Guitar = See Hey Boy Hey Girl. I do wish they would move this song towards the end of the setlist. My favorite song ever, but I would be ok if the put it on rotation with other tracks from Come With Us.

Sometimes I Feel So Deserted = see EML Ritual. My impression when this was played live that the crowd kinda felt detached, but that could be my feelings for the song speaking. Probably sticking around though.

Chemical Beats/ Acid Children = Chemical Beats is a Classic. Should never leave out of principle. Acid Children will show its face every now and then, but I think there is better material in their library to give more play to.

Setting Sun/Out of Control/ It Doesn't Matter = Setting Sun Should never leave set list, but could be put on rotation for new material. Out of Control will always be present, in some form. It Doesn't Matter in any form is always welcomed. Seriously, all three tracks are probably the back bone of the set right here.

Saturate = Crowd's favorite visuals. Ed's Ladder Song. I think it should stay, but might be a need for a change. If replaced, should be with something from 'We Are The Night'.

Elektrobank = Outrageous new visual, find it hard to be removed so quickly. I hope this track will always be represented in future setlists, in whatever fashion they choose. 

I'll See You There = Another awesome visual, and great track, but tough one on causal fans. Staying for now, but almost certain after this tour it will be removed. Get your fix now, probably wont be around again.

Believe = Classic Visual,and a beast in a live setting, but in the same vein as Saturate. Absolutely blew my mind (and my ears) in 2007 tour. Could be put on rotation.

Sunshine Underground = Hardcore fan favorite. Will be on rotation. Elusive like TPPR, but not as rare.

Escape Velocity/ Golden Path = Awesome track, awesome visuals. TOO LONG!!! I do think it has potential as an opener, but not identifiable enough for casual fans. Sticking around for now, but a change in structure, or rotated as the set's ELT (Epic Long Track) between TPPR and Sunshine Underground could be done for the future. As for Golden Path, the vocal has no permanent fixture here. I thought it was pretty great as a stand alone track in 07.

Don't Think/Under The Influence/ The Test = not going anywhere for the immediate future, robot production cost a pretty penny to scrap it already.

Galvanize/Music: Response = Galvanize will never leave set list. And I think this combo with Music: Response is just fine.

Block Rockin' Beats = Old Grandpa Beats ain't going nowhere. Might not close, but you'll hear it for sure.
Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 05:31 by Bosco

There will be new setlist and rotation anyway, because they filming new visuals. I think it can be some version of Radiate.
Hi Kevin!

Quote from: Explud on May 01, 2016, 15:23

There will be new setlist and rotation anyway, because they filming new visuals. I think it can be some version of Radiate.
New visuals could be for songs that are in the current setlist but have no visuals. But yeah I'm pretty sure they will change a few things. I would be disapointed if they don't

Quote from: Explud on May 01, 2016, 15:23

What makes you assume this? Only curious cause that would make me very happy.

Although, Tom did mention to us in Chicago that there is an alternate version of Radiate. I don't know how serious he was about that...

Quote from: Bosco on May 01, 2016, 19:34

Although, Tom did mention to us in Chicago that there is an alternate version of Radiate. I don't know how serious he was about that...
If it's not called Etaidar I'll be a little disappointed.
Never for money, always for love.

Or it is with Lorde & Miguel
no idea, no idea

I hope the techno version of Radiate uses the vocalized T as a hi hat

I think it is going to be Power Move or a new HAR for the new visuals

OR SWIPER
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or what about C.H.E.M.I.C.A.L. as the opener, with new visuals ?  ;D

Just let your body
i love chem bros omg!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tour expectations:
1) They come to my town or anywhere near me
2) I'll be able to attend a (single) show this year

Tour predictions:
1) Won't happen
2) Unlikely to happen

No, seriously, I hope they'll be doing some nice - and most importantly - unexpectated changes and song choices! That's what a chems' show has always been about for me. You never know what they would do with a track, what twists they'd employ to spice up their sets, even from show to show.
How cool would it be if they would play uncommon songs or use elements from those ones to break away from the usual suspects. I still have fond memories of 2005. It was a time when they used to be more active here on the forum. After lots of people had asked for Morning Lemon to be played live they eventually gave it a shot! Man, I couldn't believe it, it was such an awesome present!
They've got such a vast library of great songs that were either never played or dropped after some rare air plays which deserve to be peformed live (again).
For instance:
- Galaxy Bounce (what a funky, energetic track)
- Denmark (would fit in a the housier section of their sets)
- Get Up On It
- In Dust We Trust
- Diamond Sky
- Base 6
- Got Glint
- My Elastic Eye (for god's sake, this is a fucking huge track! bring it back!)
- Come Inside (always liked the horn drama that's going on there)
- Burst Generator
- Midgnight Conversation/ Das Spiegel
- Pills and WATN transition needs a serious comeback!
- No Need/ Clip Kiss
- Africa!!!
- Don't Think!
- Dissolve

And first and foremost: THE TEST! Reworked: a little longer with a longer build-up to its synth madness of its 2002 interpretation (meaning coming in a little later). CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? AM I COMIN' THROUGH? AM I COMIN' THROUGH?

Goosebumps guaranteed!

I would love to hear their newly crafted Escape/Golden Path mashup in its entirety again as it is simply pure gold! Snow Surface goes without saying, it needs to stay for as long as OOC did. That intro is priceless and an instant classic. I also worship their live performance of Go amd its unreal outro!
A thing I'd like to see changed is Out of Control getting dropped since I'm really tired of it. I like the song but it's been around for ages and could make room for other less common songs.

And last but not very very least: SILVER DRIZZLE!!!! It's such a layered track, filled with euphoria and energy. It would perfectly fit into any chems' set, especially as an encore. It's a pure journey through chem-space.
Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 19:15 by Csar
"You cannot eat money, oh no. You cannot eat money, oh no. When the last tree has fallen and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no."
— Aurora (The Seed)

Show/Surface to Air should never leave the set. That's a thing of sheer beauty. Would like to hear We are the night again.

Isn't a solo gig a 2hr show and a festival gig 1,5hrs? So That's good news for the Gelsenkirchen gig

I guess that it'll be a 1.5h show plus a 30min encore (which will probably have 15 min of the Reel  ;D)

And I'm also in for a new intro... HBHG is alright, but it doesn't really that much of an "intro vibe" to me... Bring back Come with us or C.H.E.M.I.C.A.L please!
Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:53 by ChemicalBob

Quote from: ChemicalBob on May 08, 2016, 08:47

And I'm also in for a new intro... HBHG is alright, but it doesn't really that much of an "intro vibe" to me... Bring back Come with us or C.H.E.M.I.C.A.L please!
Na, the old intro from 96 with the "the brothers gonna work it out" vocals fading into Dust-Up Beats kicking into Loops Of Fury distributing massive orgasms - those where the days!

Quote from: ChemicalBob on May 08, 2016, 08:47

Bring back Come with us or C.H.E.M.I.C.A.L please!
Did they play C.H.E.M.I.C.A.L live or just on DJ sets?
no idea, no idea

Quote from: ThePumisher on May 08, 2016, 09:50

Did they play C.H.E.M.I.C.A.L live or just on DJ sets?

Just on DJ sets - i wonder why tho! It would make an amazing Live track, very well suited for visuals as well...

EDIT: Just got a promotional mail from SW4 (man i'm not even going there, but they still spam me for signing up for tickets weeks ago ;D) - it says:

To make this monumental date even more special, the greatest electronic duo to ever walk the planet will be bringing a BRAND NEW live show to South West Four. Boasting mind-bending 3D visuals and jaw-dropping lighting and laser configurations [...]

'Brand new' sounds promising! I'm unsure what exactly they mean by '3D visuals' tho - i guess they're just refering the the CGI's themself? Or are the Brothers pulling a Kraftwerk type 3D show now?  :))
Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:49 by ChemicalBob

Quote from: ChemicalBob on May 08, 2016, 15:21

I'm unsure what exactly they mean by '3D visuals' tho - i guess they're just refering the the CGI's themself? Or are the Brothers pulling a Kraftwerk type 3D show now?  :))

That means we all have to wear 3d-glasses

no idea, no idea

Quote from: Ben_j on May 02, 2016, 09:37

Or what about C.H.E.M.I.C.A.L. as the opener, with new visuals ?  ;D

god i would love to see that!

I still kind of want an SG visual!
This is up there. Like, Star Guitar up there.

I know what i want. I want Midnight Madness in live again.
Hi Kevin!

An interesting interview with Tom, giving hints at what is to expect in the new show.

So what can Chemical Brothers fans expect on the duo's long-awaited return to the city? Tom promises some new visual ideas and some musical works-in-progress - he describes it as "an evolution" - and as their fans will already know, the duo are absolutely not too proud to play the classics.

So, that could mean new material, but the "evolution" part make me think it could be different versions of existing tracks... Radiate techno remix anyone ?
And as we suspected, new visuals !

"I like it as a moment," says Rowlands. "People will do a track and put, you know, '2016 drums' on it or something. But for me, I want Block Rockin' Beats to sound somehow connected to Block Rockin' Beats. Part of what it is is how it sounds - it isn't like a classic song where you can play it on a banjo and it will still sound amazing. Block Rockin' Beats would not sound amazing on a banjo."

But I WANT to hear a banjo version of Block Rockin Beats :(

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/features/the-chemical-brothers-tom-rowlands-belfasts-got-a-good-musical-appreciation-so-its-exciting-to-be-starting-our-tour-at-belsonic-34749650.html